Total views : 226
Experimental and Computational Fluid Dynamic Analysis of Mixing Problems in Microfluidic Device
Objectives: The aim of the present work is to understand the physics of the mixing of fluids, velocity variation and pressure drop within micro channel using computational fluid dynamics and experimental technique. Methods/Statistical analysis: The computational fluid dynamics was performed at four different types of angles (300, 450, 600, 900) at constant flow rate 0.5 lph and experimental analysis was carried out at 60-degree angle at different flow rate (1lph, 1.5lph, 2lph, 2.5lph). The simulation and experimental was performed using three fluid mixing case of water +water; water +ethanol and water +glycerol. Finding: At a constant inlet flow rate of 0.5 lph and at 600 degree angle the percentage variation between experimental and simulation results was observed to be in the range of 2.97-3.14% in water +water; 2.31-2.83% in water +ethanol and 19.62- 20.56% in water +glycerol case. It has been observed that velocity is maximum at outlet when the mixing angle was 600 the % age increase in velocity between inlet and outlet in all the 04 angles was 78-114%. Application/Improvements: The application of the microfluidic devices is drug discovery, biomedical analyses, genetics, proteomics, biological and chemical reactions etc.
Ethanol, Glycerol, MicroFluidics, Mixing, Water.
- Lien V, Zhao K, Lo YH. A prealigned process of integrating optical waveguides with microfluidic devices. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics. 2004 Jun; 11(4):827-834.
- Nguyen NT, Wereley S. Fundamentals and applications of micro fluidics. Second addition, Artech House; 2006 May.
- Arya S, Khan S, Vaid A, Kour H, Lehana P. Microfluidic mechanics and applications: A review. Journal of Nano and Electronic Physics. 2014 Jan; 5(14).
- Wong SH, Ward MCL, Wharton CW. Micro T-mixer as a rapid mixing micro mixer. Sensors Actuators B. 2004; 100(3):359–79.
- Lim DS. Dynamic formation of ring-shaped patterns of colloidal particles in micro fluidic systems. Applied Physics Letters. 2003 Aug; 83:1145–7.
- Bohm S, Greiner K. A rapid vortex micro mixer for studying high-speed chemical reactions. Technical Proceeding Micro Total Analysis Systems; 2001 Oct. p. 25–7.
- Gobby D, Angeli P, Gavriilidis A. Mixing characteristics of T-type micro fluidic mixers. Journal of Micromechanics and Micro engineering. 2001; 11(2):126–32.
- Lin Y. Ultrafast micro fluidic mixer and freeze–quenching device. Analytical Chemistry. 2003 Sep; 5(20):5381–6.
- Mengeaud V, Josserand J, Girault HH. Mixing processes in a zigzag micro channel: Finite element simulation and optical study. Analytical Chemistry. 2002 Jul; 74(16):4279–86.
- Zhu X, Kim ES. Acoustic-wave liquid mixer Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS). Dynamic Systems and Control Division (Publication) DSC American Society of Mechanical Engineers. 1997; 62:35–8.
- Yaralioglu GG. Ultrasonic mixing in micro fluidic channels using integrated transducers. Analytical Chemistry. 2004 May; 76(13):3694–8.
- MacInnes JM, Chen Z, Allen RWK. Investigation of alternating-flow mixing in micro channels. Chemical Engineering Science. 2005 Jul; 60(13):3453–67.
- Goullet A, Glasgow I, Aubry N. Effects of micro channel geometry on pulsed flow mixing. Mechanics Research Communication. 2006 Sep–Oct; 33(5):739–46.
- Coleman JT, Sinton D. A sequential injection micro fluidic mixing strategy. Micro Fluid Nano Fluids. 2005 Oct; 1(4):319–27.
- Coleman JT, McKechni J, Sinton D. High-efficiency electro kinetic micro mixing through symmetric sequential injection and expansion. Lab Chip. 2006 Aug; 6(8):1033–9.
- Leong JC, Tsai CH, Chang CL, Lin CF, Fu LM. Rapid micro fluidic mixers utilizing dispersion effect and interactively time-pulsed injection. Japanese Journal of Applied Physics. 2007 Aug; 46(8):5345–52.
- Sun CL, Sie JY. Active mixing in diverging micro channel. Micro Fluid Nano Fluids. 2010 Apr; 8(4):485–95.
- Fu LM, Tsai CH. Design of interactively time0pulsed micro fluidic mixers in microchips using numerical simulation. Japanese Journal of Applied Physics. 2007 Jan; 46(1):420–9.
- Ahmed MU. Polydimethylsiloxane based Micro fluidics Flow PCR Sensor for Bacillus Anthracis using a disposable electrode. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 Aug; 7(8):1094–100.
- Stroock AD. Chaotic mixer for micro channels. Science. 2002 Jan; 295(5555):647–51.
- Kim DS. A barrier embedded chaotic micro mixer. Micro Total Analysis Systems; 2002 Nov. p. 757–9.
- Bertsch A. Static micro mixers based on large-scale industrial mixer geometry. Lab on a Chip. 2001 Sep; 1(1):56–60.
- Laminar flow in static mixer with helical elements [Internet]. [Cited 2000 Feb 15]. Available from: http://www.bakker.org/cfmbook/lamstat.pdf.
- Brindha G, Rohini G, Gnanakousalya C. Genetic algorithm based optimization of single node in reformed-digital micro fluidic biochip. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Nov; 8(29):1–8.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.