Total views : 37
Evaluation of Multidisciplinary Design Optimization Methods and Applying Single Level Frameworks in Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Design
Objectives: Evaluation of Multidisciplinary Design Optimization (MDO) methods, comparison of advantages and disadvantages of them by applying single level frameworks in design of UAVs using genetic algorithm optimization and Sequential Quadratic Programming (SQP). Methods/Statistical Analysis: Multidisciplinary design optimization methods are divided into 2 overall single level and multilevel frameworks, mathematically. Frameworks under investigation here are: Multi Disciplinary Feasibility (MDF), All At Once (AAO) as single level frameworks and Collaborative Optimization (CO) in addition to Bi-Level Integrated System Synthesis (BLISS) as bi-level frameworks. Selection criteria of appropriate design framework include simplicity of algorithm, quick response as well as degree of convergence in finding optimal answers. Findings: in accordance with the aforementioned criteria, single level methods are superior to multilevel ones. Anyway, no method or framework could be considered as superior; instead, appropriate design framework according to each application should be selected. Finally, single level methods have been used in UAVs design according to which, MDF framework holds higher convergence capability than AAO, though with higher run time in comparison to AAO. Applications /Improvements: single level methods have been used in UAVs design and Global Hawk (RQ-4B) is redesigned for implementation and comparison.
MDO, Multidisciplinary Design Optimization Frameworks, Systemic Design, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles Design.
- Multidisciplinary Design Optimization strategy in Multi-Stage Launch Vehicle Conceptual Design [Internet]. [cited 2003 Aug]. Available from: http://www.casde.iitb.ac.in/store/reports/phd/geethai-progsem-2003.pdf.
- Nichols F, Brown B, John R. Evaluation of multidisciplinary optimization techniques applied to a reusable launch vehicle. Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets. 2006 Nov–Dec; 43(6):1289–300.
- Stanley DO, Talay AT, Lepsch RA, Morris WD, Kathy EW. Conceptual design of a fully reusuable manned launch system. Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets. 1992 Jul-Aug; 29(4):529–37.
- Braun RD, Powell RW, Lepsch RA. Stanley DO, Kroo IM. Comparison of two multidisciplinary optimization strategies for launch-vehicle design. Journal of Pacecraft and Rockets. 1995 May–Jun; 32(3):404–10.
- Braun RD, Moore. Collaborative approach to launch vehicle design. Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets. 1997 Jul–Aug; 34(4):478-–6.
- Tartabini PV, Wurster KE, Korte JJ, Lepsch RA. Multidisciplinary analysis of a lifting body launch vehicle. Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets. 2002 Sep–Oct; 39(5):788–95.
- Schottle UM, Hilleshcimer M. Performance optimization of an airbreathing launch vehicle by a sequential trajectory optimization and vehicle design scheme. AIAA, Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference, New Orleans, LA; 1991 Aug.
- Bayley DJ, Hartfield RJ, Burkhalter JE, Jenkins RM. Design optimization of a space launch vehicle using a genetic algorithm. Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets. 2008 Jul–Aug; 45(4):733–40.
- Multidisciplinary cost and performance optimization of a two stage liquid propulsion based launch vehicle [Internet]. [cited 2008 apr 28]. Available from: http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514/6.2008-2642.
- Advanced transport design using multidisciplinary design optimization [Internet]. [cited 1991 Sep 01]. Available from: http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19910069391.
- A multi objective, multidisciplinary design optimization methodology for the conceptual design of distributed satellite system [Internet]. [cited 2002 May 01]. Available from: https://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/16837/51283638-MIT.pdf?sequence=2.
- Lawrence FR, Braun RD, Olds JR, Unal R. Multidisciplinary conceptual design optimization of space transportation systems. Journal of Aircraft. 1999 Jan–Feb; 36(1):218–26.
- Tsuchiya, T, Mori. T. Multidisciplinary design optimization to future space transportation vehicle. AIAA paper 2002-5171; 2002.
- The suitability of selected multidisciplinary design and optimization techniques to conceptual aerospace vehicle design [Internet]. [cited 1992 Sep]. Available from: https://smartech.gatech.edu/handle/1853/8443.
- González LF, Srinivas K, Périaux J, Whitney EJ. Multidisciplinary design optimization of unmanned aerial vehicles (uav) using multi-criteria evolutionary algorithms. 6th World Congresses of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization; 2005 May–Jun. p. 1–9.
- Morris SJ, Kroo I. Aircraft design optimization with dynamic performance constraints. Journal of Aircraft. 1990 Dec; 27(12):1060–7.
- Enhancing aircraft conceptual design using multidisciplinary optimization [Internet]. [cited 2002 May]. Available from: http://www.jdrr.yolasite.com/resources/Aeronautical_Engineering/BOOKS/AIRCRAFT%20CONCEPTUAL%20DESIGN%20By%20Daniel%20P%20Raymer.pdf.
- Multidisciplinary and multiobjective design optimization of an unmanned combat aerial vehicle (ucav) [Internet]. [cited 2009 Feb]. Available from: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.633.1025&rep=rep1&type=pdf.
- Multidisciplinary aircraft conceptual design optimization considering fidelity uncertainties [Internet]. [cited 2010 Jan 01]. Available from: http://digital.library.ryerson.ca/islandora/object/RULA:1519.
- Multidisciplinary design optimization in the conceptual design phase creating a conceptual design of the blended wing-body with the BLISS optimization strategy [Internet]. [cited 2011 Apr 20]. Available from: http://repository.tudelft.nl/islandora/object/uuid:d586ee6e-4815-4561-87d9-6ae00bdb739e?collection=education.
- Aircraft multidisciplinary design optimization using design of experiments theory and response surface modeling methods [Internet]. [cited 1997 May]. Available from: https://theses.lib.vt.edu/theses/public/etd-5742153049751491/etd.pdf.
- A method for aircraft concept exploration using multicriteria interactive genetic algorithms [Internet]. [cited 2005 Nov 28]. Available from: https://smartech.gatech.edu/handle/1853/7571.
- Multidisciplinary Design and Optimization (MDO) methodology for the aircraft conceptual design [Internet]. [cited 2009]. Available from: http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/dissertations/AAI3402368/.
- Multidisciplinary Design Optimization of a strut-braced wing aircraft [Internet]. [cited 1998 Apr 13]. Available from: http://www.dept.aoe.vt.edu/~mason/Mason_f/GrasmeyerMS.pdf.
- Multidisciplinary design techniques applied to conceptual aerospace vehicle design [Internet]. [cited 1993 Jan 01]. Available from: http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19940009145.pdf.
- Safavi E, Munjulury RC, Ölvander J. Multidisciplinary optimization of aircraft vehicle system for conceptual analysis. Conference: 51st AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition; 2013 Jan. p. 1–9.
- Rowell LF, Braun RD, Olds JR. Multidisciplinary conceptual design optimization of space transportation systems. Journal of Aircraft. 1999 Jan–Feb; 36(1):218–26.
- Gora Z. Design challenges associated with development of a new generation UAV. Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology. 2005 Oct; 77(5):361–8.
- Lee DS, Gonzalez LF, Srinivas K, Auld DJ, Wong KC. Aerodynamic shape optimisation of unmanned aerial vehicles using hierarchical asynchronous parallel evolutionary algorithms. International Journal of Computational Intelligence Research. 2007 Jan; 3(3):229–50.
- Tianyuan H, Xiongqing Y. Aerodynamic/stealthy/structural multidisciplinary design optimization of unmanned combat air vehicle. Chinese Journal of Aeronautics. 2009 Aug; 22(4):380–6.
- Jaeger L, Gogu C, Segonds S, Bes C. Aircraft multidisciplinary design optimization under both model and design variables uncertainty. Journal of Aircraft. 2013 Feb; 50(2):528–38.
- A robust approach to pre-concept design of UCAV considering survivability [Internet]. [cited 2002 Sep 04]. Available from: http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514/6.2002-5605.
- Evaluation of multidisciplinary optimization approach for aircraft conceptual design [Internet]. [cited 2004 Aug 30]. Available from: http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514/6.2004-4537.
- Sobester A, Keane AJ. Multidisciplinary design optimization of UAV airframes. Newport, Rhode Island: 47th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference – AIAA; 2006 May. p. 1–13.
- Multidisciplinary unmanned combat air Vehicle-UCAV design optimization using variable complexity modeling [Internet]. [cited 2009 Sep 21]. Available from: http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514/6.2009-7093.
- Bin H, Justice A. The design of an unmanned aerial vehicle based on the ArduPilot. Indian Journal of science and Technology. 2009 Apr; 2(4):12–15.
- Choi SM, Nhu-Van Nguyen, Kim SW-S, Lee J-W, Byun Y-H. Multidisciplinary Unmanned Combat Air Vehicle (UCAV) system design using multi-fidelity analysis. 48th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition; 2010 Jan. p. 1–16.
- Preliminary aircraft design in a collaborative multidisciplinary design environment [Internet]. [cited 2011 Sep 20]. Available from: http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/pdf/10.2514/6.2011-6959. Date Accessed: 20/09/2011.
- Multiobjective Conceptual design of an unmanned combat air vehicle [Internet]. [cited 2012 Sep 17]. Available from: http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514/6.2012-5532.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.