Total views : 230
A Knowledge based Technique for Segmenting Liver using Mathematical Morphology
Segmentation of Liver from Computed Tomography (CT) abdomen image is the most basic and important technology and a prerequisite for the diagnosis, treatment planning, and surgery planning. Manual segmentation is time consuming and tedious. To precisely segment and assist radiologist a computer assisted approach is developed. The proposed method integrates knowledge base with mathematical morphology to segment liver. Quantitative evaluation is performed and the mean score of 93% is obtained.
Computed Tomography, Histogram Tail Threshold, Liver Segmentation, Morphological Operations.
- Lim SJ, Jeong YY, Ho YS. Automatic Liver Segmentation for Volume Measurement in CT Images. Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation. 2006 Aug; 17(4):860–75.
- Li L, Niu T, Cho S, Wang Z. Mathematical Methods and Applications in Medical Imaging. Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine. 2014 Jun; 2014:1–2.
- Markova A, Temmermans F, Deklerck R, Nyssen E. Liver and Lesion Segmentation Algorithm for Contrast Enhanced CT Images. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. 2008 Nov; 592–5.
- Wu S, Amin A. Automatic Thresholding of Gray level using Multi-stage Approach. Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition. 2003 Aug; 1:493–7.
- Chen Y, Wang Z, Zhao W, Yang X. Liver Segmentation from CT Images based on Region Growing Method. IEEE Xplore Digital Library. Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering (ICBBE). 2009 Jun. p. 1–4.
- Masumoto J, Hori M, Sato Y, Murakami T, Johkoh T, Nakamura H. Automated Liver Segmentation using Multi Slice CT Images. Systems and Computers in Japan. 2003 Aug; 34(9):71–82.
- Saitoh T, Tamura Y, Kaneko T. Automatic Segmentation of Liver Region based on Extracted Blood Vessels. Systems and Computers in Japan. 2004 May; 35(5):1–10.
- Foruzan AH, Zoroofi RA, Hori M, Sato Y. A knowledge based Technique for Liver Segmentation in CT Data. Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics. 2009 Dec; 33(8):567–87.
- Gao L, Heath DG, Kuszyk BS, Fishman EK. Automatic Liver Segmentation Technique for Three-Dimensional Visualization of CT Data. Radiology. 1996 Nov; 201(2):359–64.
- Sik-Seo K. Improved Fully Automatic Liver Segmentation using Histogram Tail Threshold Algorithms. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. 2005 May; 822–5.
- Otsu N. A threshold selection method from grey-level histograms. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics. 1979 Jan; 9(1):62–6.
- Gonzalez RC, Woods RE. Digital Image Processing. Second (Edn). Pearson-Prentice-Hal. 2009.
- Dice LR. Measures of the amount of ecologic association between species. Ecology. 1945 Jul; 26(3):297–302.
- Available from: http://www.healthline.com/human-body-maps/liver
- Available from: http://www.imaginis.com/ct-scan/information-about-intravenous-and-oral-contrast-used-in-ct-1
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.