Total views : 297
A Comprehensive Study on Cluster Based Routing Protocols for Wireless Sensor Networks
Background/Objectives: Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs) have emerged as a new powerful tool and a rapidly growing technology, which consume a lesser amount of energy for processing and communication. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Most state-of-art reviews have concentrated on look over the various routing methods which have been suggested depends on the energy effectiveness and lifetime. This paper presents an extensive survey and performance analysis of cluster based routing methods for Wireless Sensor Networks and aims to identify current research issues in this area. Findings: There are number of routing procedures have been discussed, to progress their performance in wireless networks. In this study, we present a cluster based routing algorithms for WSNs which is highlighted with their features and objectives. Improvements/Applications: These algorithms were compared based on the metrics such as energy efficiency, data aggregation, route selection etc.
Cluster based Routing, Energy Efficient, Reliability, Wireless Sensor Networks.
- Akyildiz IF, Su W, Sankarasubramaniam Y, Cayirci E. A survey on sensor networks. IEEE Communications Magazine. 2002; 40:102–14.
- Akkaya K, Younis M. A survey on routing protocols in Wireless Sensor Networks. Ad-Hoc Networks. 2005; 3:325–49.
- Sohraby K, Minoli D, Znati T. Wireless Sensor Networks: Technology, protocols and applications. New Jersey: Wiley; 2007.
- Zungeru AM, Ang LM, Seng KP. Termite hill: Performance optimized swarm intelligence based routing algorithm for Wireless Sensor Networks. Journal of Network and Computer Applications. 2012; 35:1901–17.
- Stavrou E, Pitsillides A. A survey on secure multipath routing protocols in WSNs. Computer Networks. 2010; 54:2215–38.
- Romer K, Mattern F. The design space of Wireless Sensor Networks. IEEE Wireless Communications. 2004; 11:54–61.
- Hernandez CFG, Gonzalez PHI, Hernandez JG, Diaz JAP. Wireless Sensor Networks and application: A survey. International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security. 2007; 7:264–73.
- Sohrabi K, Gao J, Ailawadhi V, Pottie GJ. Protocols for self-organization of a Wireless Sensor Network. IEEE Personal Communications. 2000; 7:16–27.
- Kumari S, Khan MK, Atiquzzaman M. User authentication schemes for Wireless Sensor Networks: A review. Ad-Hoc Networks. 2015; 27:159–94.
- Chong CE, Kumar SP. Sensor Networks: Evolution, opportunities and challenges. Proceedings of the IEEE. 2003; 91:1247–56.
- Tonneau AS, Mitton N, Vandaele J. How to choose an experimentation platform for Wireless Sensor Networks? A survey on static and mobile Wireless Sensor Network experimentation facilities. Ad-Hoc Networks. 2015; 30:115–27.
- Fadel E, Gungor VC, Nassef L, Akkari N, Maik MGA, Almasri S, Akyildiz IF. A survey on Wireless Sensor Networks for smart grid. Computer Communications. 2015. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.comcom
- Misra S, Woungang I, Misra SC. Guide to Wireless Sensor Networks. Computer Communications and Networks Series. London, UK: Springer-Verlag; 2009.
- Akyildiz IF, Su W, Sankarasubramaniam Y, Cayirci E. Wireless Sensor Networks: A survey. Computer Networks. 2002; 38:393–422.
- Anastasi G, Conti M, Francesco MD, Passarella A. Energy conservation in Wireless Sensor Networks: A survey. Ad-Hoc Networks. 2009; 7:537–68.
- Iqbal A, Murshed M. A hybrid Wireless Sensor Network framework for range-free event localization. Ad-Hoc Networks. 2015; 27:81–98.
- Jawhar I, Mohamed N, Agrawal DP. Linear Wireless Sensor Networks: Classification and applications. Journal of Network and Computer Applications. 2011; 34:1671–82.
- Tyagi S, Kumar N. A systematic review on clustering and routing techniques based upon LEACH protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks. Journal of Network and Computer Applications. 2013; 36:623–45.
- Karaki JNA, Kamal AE. Routing techniques in Wireless Sensor Networks: A survey. IEEE Wireless Communications. 2004; 11:6–28.
- Obaisat YA, Braun R. On Wireless Sensor Networks: Architectures, protocols, applications and management. International Conference on Wireless Broadband and Ultra Wideband Communication (AusWireless); 2006.
- Li Y, Newe T. Wireless Sensor Networks – Selection of routing protocols for applications. Australian Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conference (ATNAC); 2006.
- Wang YH, Tsai CH, Mao HJ. HMRP: Hierarchy based multipath routing protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks. Tamkang Journal of Science and Engineering. 2006; 9:255–64.
- Pietro R, Mancini L, Law Y, Etalee S, Havinga P. LKHW: A direct diffusion-based secure multicast scheme for Wireless Sensor Networks. ICPPW ’03: Proceedings of the 32nd International Conference on Parallel Processing Workshop, IEEE Computer Society Press; 2003.
- Perrig A, Szewczyk R, Wen V, Cullar D, Tygar JD. SPINS: Security protocols for sensor networks. Proceedings of the Seventh Annual ACM International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networks (MOBICOM); Rome, Italy. 2001.
- Du W, Wang R, Ning P. An efficient scheme for authenticating public keys sensor networks. MobiHoc ’05: Proceedings of the Sixth ACM International Symposium on Mobile Ad-hoc Networks and Computers; New York: ACM Press; 2005.
- Walters JP, Liang Z, Shi W, Chaudhary V. Wireless Sensor Networks security: A survey. Book Chapter of Security in Distributed, Grid and Pervasive Computing, Auerbach Publications. Yang Xiao, editor. CRC Press; 2006. ISBN: 0-849-37921-0.
- Deng J, Hang R, Mishra S. INSENS: Intrusion-tolerant routing in Wireless Sensor Networks. Computer Communications. 2006; 29:216–30.
- Tanachaiwiwat S, Dave P, Bhindwale R, Helmy A. Location-centric isolation of misbehavior and trust routing in energy-constrained sensor networks. The Workshop on Energy-Efficient Wireless Communications and Networks (EWCN 04) in Conjunction with IEEE International Performance, Computing and Communications Conference (IPCCC); 2004.
- Mahmood MA, Seah WKG, Welch I. Reliability in Wireless Sensor Networks: A survey and challenges ahead. Computer Networks. 2015; 79:166–87.
- Heinzelman WR, Chandrakasan A, Balakrishnan H. An application specific protocol architecture for wireless micro sensor networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. 2002; 1:660–70.
- Zarei B, Zeynali M, Nezhad VM. Novel cluster based routing protocol in Wireless Sensor Networks. International Journal of Computer Science Issues. 2010; 7:32–6.
- Karenos K, Kalogeraki V, Krishnamurthy SV. Cluster based congestion control for supporting multiple classes of traffic in sensor networks. 2nd IEEE Workshop on Embedded Networked Sensors; Sydney, Australia. 2005.
- Chen J, Yin Z, Li D, Sun T. A distributed and effective cluster routing technique of sensor networks. First International Conference on Intelligent Networks and Intelligent Systems, ICINIS; 2008. p. 271–5.
- Younis M, Youssef M, Arisha K. Energy aware routing in cluster based sensor networks. Proceedings of the 10th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS’02); Fort Worth, TX. 2002.
- Rashid MM, Alam MM, Hong CS. Energy conserving passive clustering for efficient routing in Wireless Sensor Network. The 9th International Conference on Advanced communication Technology; 2007. p. 982–6.
- Li L, Shusong D, Xiangming W. An energy efficient clustering routing algorithm for Wireless Sensor Networks. The Journal of China Universities of Posts and Telecommunications. 2006; 13:71–5.
- Peng S, Wang T, Low CP. Energy neutral clustering for energy harvesting Wireless Sensors Networks. Ad-Hoc Networks. 2015; 28:1–16.
- Karaki JNA, Mustafa RU, Kamal AE. Data aggregation and routing in Wireless Sensor Networks: Optimal and heuristic algorithms. Computer Networks. 2009; 53:945–60.
- Younis O, Fahmy S. HEED: A Hybrid, Energy Efficient, Distributed clustering approach for ad-hoc networks. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing. 2004; 3:366–9.
- Abdulla AEAA, Nishiyama H, Kato N. Extending the lifetime of Wireless Sensor Networks: A hybrid routing algorithm. Computer Communications. 2012; 35:1056–63.
- Boubiche DE, Bilami A. HEEP: Hybrid Energy Efficiency Protocol based on chain clustering. International Journal of Sensor Networks. 2011; 10:25–35.
- Yi S, Heo J, Cho Y, Hong J. PEACH: Power Efficient and Adaptive Clustering Hierarchy protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks. Computer Communications. 2007; 30:2842–52.
- Hammoudeh M, Newman R. Adaptive routing in Wireless Sensor Networks: QoS optimisation for enhanced application performance. Information Fusion. 2015; 22:3–15.
- Quan Z, Li J. Secure routing protocol cluster-gene-based for Wireless Sensor Networks. Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Information Science and Engineering (ICISE2009); 2009. p. 4098–102.
- Heinzelman W. Application specific protocol architecture for wireless network. [PhD Thesis]. Massachussetts Institute of Technology; 2000.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.