Total views : 243
Competitive Power of Companies and Industries: A Methodical Approach to Evaluation
Background/Objectives: This article justifies a methodical approach and develops a model to evaluate competitive power of companies and industries for optimum allocation of corporate resources for monitoring, governmental program measures, stimulating growth of competitive positions of individual industries and economy as a whole. Methods: The basic theory of corporate function is a methodical ground for competitive power of companies and industries. Resource efficiency is presented by production, financial and investment indicators. A multiplicative model for companies and industries’ competitive power evaluation and static and dynamic alternatives have been provided. This model has been appraised using Russian processing industry as an example, based on the statistical database of the Russian Federation Federal State Statistics Service. Findings: This approach differs in understanding the competitive power of companies and industries as a way of optimized utilization of national economic resources. For the state, this means a tool of financial stimulation of industrial areas of high competitive power. The suggested model of competitive power evaluation allows performing industrial diagnosis of utilization of production, financial and investment resources of a company. Identification of company’s positions and comparison of resource efficiency provide the basis for distinguishing between the impact of internal and external conditions on any changes in positions of the company and industry as a whole over the short and long term. Applying the suggested method one can determine causes of any shifts in companies’ competitive advantages and discover resource limitations of the competitive power. An integral competitive power indicator for companies and industries provides a basis for creating a monitoring database of competitive power ratings for industries, enhancing transparency of national companies’ success, as compared with similar foreign industrial companies; governmental support of the best companies on a competitive basis. Improvements: The article broadens importance of the resource-oriented approach to evaluation of competitive power. The suggested evaluation model can be used as a tool for stimulating best companies and industries for governmental regulations of the economy’s competitive power.
Competitive Advantages, Competitive Power, Competitive Power Evaluation Model for Companies and Industries, Economy Resources.
- Belkin VN, Belkina NA, Vladykina LB. Theoretical basis for evaluating competitive power of companies. Regional Economy. 2015; 1:144–55. 2016. Available from: http://www.economyofregion.com
- Thirty-second annual report of year ended December 31, 1940. Available from: http://www.library.upenn.edu/collections/lippincott/corprpts/gm/gm1940.pdf; General Motors Strategic Management. 2016. Available from: http://www.slideshare.net/arifkk/general-motors-strategic-mangement
- Gaskins DW. Dynamic limit pricing: Optimal pricing under threat of entry. Journal of Economic Theory. 1971; 3(3):306–22.
- The largest car makers: 2014. 2015. 2016. Available from: http://avtopmr.com/news/prodaji-avtomobilei-v-mire-2014/
- Slepova IE, Blokhina TP, Makarova LV, Tarasov RV. Analyzing competitive power of confectionary product. Modern Research and Innovations. 2014; 11. 2016. Available from: http://web.snauka.ru/issues/2014/11/40149
- Jacot JH. Croissance economique et fluctutions conjoncturelles. Press Universitaires de Lyon; 1976.
- Barney JB. Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage. Journal of Management. 1991; 17:99–120.
- Hamel G, Prahalad CK. The core competence of the corporation. Harvard Business Review; 1990 May-June. p. 79–90. 2016. Available from: http://www.slideshare.net/MichelleLidya/pgh-prahalad-hamel-1990-the-core-competence
- Nonaka I, Takeuchi H. The knowledge-creating company. How Japanese companies create the dynamics of innovation. [Translated from English by A. Traktinskyi]. Moscow: Olympus-Business; 2011.
- Cetindamar D, Kilitcioglu H. Measuring the competitiveness of a firm for an award system. Competitiveness review: An international business. 2013; 23(1):7–22. 2016. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/10595421311296597
- Gorynia M. The competitiveness of Polish firms and the Еuropean Union enlargement. The Poznañ University of Economics. 2001; 1(1):48–68. 2016. Available from: http://www.mariangorynia.pl/prasa/puer/Review 2001-1-1-gorynia.pdf
- Griliches Z. Productivity R&D and basic research. At the firm level in the 1979s. American Economic Review. 1986; 76:141–54.
- Jaffe AB. Technological opportunity and spillovers of R&D: Evidence from firms' patents, profits and market value. American Economic Review. 1986; 76:984–1001.
- Marris R. The economic theory of "Managerial" Capitalism. London: Macmillan; 1964.
- van Horne JC. Fundamentals of financial management. Moscow: Finance and Statistics; 1996.
- Finances of Russia. Russian Annual Finance Abstract of Statistics, 2014. 2016. Available from: http://www.gks.ru/wps/wcm/connect/rosstat_main/rosstat/ru/statistics/publications/catalog/doc_1138717651859
- Russian Annual Abstract of Statistics, 2015. 2016. Available from: http://www.gks.ru/wps/wcm/connect/rosstat_main/rosstat/ru/statistics/publications/catalog/doc_1135087342078
- United Aircraft Corporation. 2013 Annual Statement. 2016. Available from: http://www.uacrussia.ru/ru/investors/open-information/godovye-otchety/
- Russian Helicopters. 2013 Annual Statement. 2016. Available from: http://www.russianhelicopters.aero/upload/iblock/8bb/8bb8bc8303aa4398468111b280b33e90.pdf
- Park EY, Kwag DG, Bae SU. A study on the market competitiveness of small-to-medium sized businesses utilizing CBMI (Convergence Business Model Innovation). IJST. 2016; 9(26). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i26/97279.
- Eghbalpour H, Nabati Rad M, Hassani R. A multi-operator imperialist competitive algorithm for solving non-convex economic dispatch problem. IJST. 2016:9(6). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i6/84257.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.