Total views : 136
Assessment of Traffic Noise and Development of Noise Models for National Highway-06, Passing through Chhattisgarh, India
Background/Objectives: Traffic noise pollution is a major concern of the societies residing near the busy National highways. The recognition of this noise as the main source of environmental pollution has compelled the construction engineers & traffic planners to bring forth the models that enable us to predict noise from basic variables. These noise prediction models are very much needed as helping tools in the design of roads& traffic and in assessing frequent changes in traffic noise scenario. In India, vehicular traffic is increasing tremendously, which has given birth to overcrowded roads and simultaneously to noise pollution. Therefore, it is expected to develop noise prediction models suitable for national highways pertaining to Indian context Methods: This paper is the zest of a research conducted on National highway-06 with the sole purpose of setting up traffic noise models based on existing traffic conditions. Traffic noise levels have been measured by noise meter SL4023 SD by adopting standard procedure. Findings: In the process of observation & measurement of noise data, noise levels were found alarmingly& consistently high. After the analysis coefficient of correlation (R2) for the developed model for Supela (Location 1) and Power house (Location 2) are found 0.78 and0.70 respectively, which is lying in acceptable range. Applications: It can be concluded that traffic noise prediction models so developed is theoretically acceptable and conveniently applicable for real traffic conditions of National highway-06passing through Chhattisgarh, India.
Model, Noise, Traffic Noise Prediction.
- Tandel BN, Jem M. Assessment and MLR modelling of urban traffic noise at major arterial roads of Surat. Indian Journal of Environment Research Development. (2013); 7(4A):1–7.
- Jadaan KS, Msallam M, Shanab DAA. The impact of road traffic noise on hospital workers. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(1):1–8. Doi:10.17485/ ijst/2016/v9i1/79259
- Stefano R. et al. A statistical model for predicting road traffic noise on poisson type traffic flow. Noise Control Engineering Journal. 2001; 49(3):137–43.
- Ross et al. Noise from traffic as a worldwide policy problem.Noise Control Engineering Journal. 2001; 49(4):159–61.
- Mansouri NA et al. Road traffic noise in downtown area of Tehran. Iranian Journal of Environmental Health Science and Engineering. 2006; 3(4):261–66.
- Karthickmanoj R, Sinthuja S, Manoharan N. Removal of impulse noise using adaptive weighted median filter. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 Oct; 7(S6):61–63.Doi:10.17485/ijst/2014/v7iS6/62679
- Bhattacharya CC et al. R & D efforts in prediction of highway traffic noise. Journal of Institution of Engineers (India).2002; 82(1):7–13
- Alimohammadi I. Reliability analysis of noise estimation in highways of Tehran by Monte Carlo simulation method.Iranian Journal of Environmental Health Science and Engineering.2005; 2(4):229–36.
- Karthik B, Kumar TVUK. EMI Developed test methodologies for short duration noises. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 May; 6(S5):4615–9. Doi:10.17485/ ijst/2013/v6i5S/33363
- Steele C. A critical review of some traffic noise prediction models. Applied Acoustics. 2001; 65:171–81.
- Parida M. Modelling of metropolitan traffic noise in Delhi.Institute of Town Planners, India (ITPI) Journal. 2003; 21(1):441–9.
- Tansatcha M. Motorway noise modelling on perpendicular propagation analysis of traffic noise. Applied Acoustics.2005; 66:1135–50.
- Anon. Predicting road traffic noise, United Kingdom department of Environment/ HMSO, London; 1975.
- Mishra MK. Study and development of road traffic noise model [M.E. thesis]. Patiala: Thapar University; 2010.
- National Highway (India) [Internet]. 2010 [cited 2010].Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/national_ highway_(India).
- Subramani T et al. Modelling of traffic noise pollution. International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications.2012; 2(3):3175–82.
- Jain SS et al. Development of comprehensive highway noise model for Indian conditions. Journal of Indian Roads Congress (IRC). 2000; 62(3):448–53.
- Nirjar RS et al. A study of transport related noise pollution in Delhi. Journal of the Institution of Engineers. 2003; 84(1):6–15.
- Mishra AK, Srivastava P. Assessment and prediction of noise level on various links in the surrounding areas of an upcoming airport in India. International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology (IJRET). 2012; 1(2):118–24.
- Tiwari S, Shukla RK. Comparison of traffic noise prediction using FHWA and ERTC models In Gorakhpur city. International Journal of Business and Systems Research (IJBSTR).2013; 1(8):77–82.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.