Experimental Investigation on Enhancement of Heat Transfer Rate in Heat Exchangers using Plain and Punched Twisted Tape Inserts and Nanofluid Employing Al2O3 Particles
Enhancement of heat transfer rate is one of the crucial factors to be considered in design of heat exchangers. In the present work, experimental investigation is carried in out to achieve the enhancement of heat transfer in the heat exchangers using plain tube, tube with twisted tape inserts and also using the tube with regularly punched twisted tapes. The tape insert with a twisting ratio of 2.37 has been used in the flow passage at flow rates maintained at 4, 6, 8 LPM. The heat transfer rate, friction factor and pressure drop have been calculated for each test case with and without inserts, whereas the range of Reynolds number is 2000<Re<10000, Comparative studies have been carried out for the above mentioned cases using water as well as Nanofluids. While using Nanofluids, the performance of the heat exchangers in terms of the heat transfer and pressure drop are found to be much superior to the performance using distilled water for the same geometric configurations. The rate of heat transfer is found to increase by using inserts and hence modifying the geometry of the flow passage in the duct of the heat exchangers.
- Pratik P Ganorkar, Warkhedkar RM. Heat Transfer Enhancement in a Tube Using Elliptical-Cut Twisted Tape Inserts.SSRG International Journal of Mechanical Engineering (SSRG-IJME). 2015 May; 2(5).
- Mukesh P Mangtani and Watt KM. Effect of twisted-tape inserts on heat Transfer in a tube - a review. 2015 April; 4(2). ISSN 2278-0149. Available from: www.ijmerr.com.
- Murugesan P, Mayilsamy K, Suresh S, Srinivasan PSS. Heat transfer and pressure drop characteristics in a circular tube fitted with and without V-cut twisted tape insert. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer. 2011; 38:329-34. Crossref
- Sarang S Hole, Yogesh G Ingulkar, Hanumant B Narute. A Review on Heat Transfer Augmentation Using Different Twisted Tape Insert. International Journal for Technology Research in Engineering. 2015 June; 2(10). ISSN: 23474718.
- Prashant Tikhe, Andhare AM. Heat Transfer Enhancement in Circular Tube using Twisted Tape Inserts of Different Width Ratio under Constant Wall Heat flux Condition. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology (IJERT). 2015 June; 4(06). ISSN: 2278-0181.
- Shailja Kandwal A, Ketan Ajay, Kundan Lal Rana. Measurement and Validation of Thermo physical Propertiesof Al2O3 Nanofluids. International Journal of Engineering Technology, Management and Applied Sciences. 2015 March; 3(Special Issue). ISSN: 2349-4476.
- Jaafar Albadr, Satinder Tayal, Mushtaq Alasadi. Heat transfer through heat exchanger using Al2O3 nanofluid at different concentrations. Case Studies in Thermal Engineering.2013; 1:38-44. Crossref
- Saha SK and Mallik DN. Heat transfer and pressure drop characteristics of laminar flow in rectangular and square plain ducts and ducts with twisted-tape inserts. Transaction of ASME Journal of Heat Transfer. 2005; 127:966-77.Crossref
- Yu-Tang Chen. Experimental study of silver Nano fluid on heat pipe thermal performance. Journal of Marine Science and Technology. 2010; 18(5):731-4.
- Paisarn Naphon. Heat transfer and pressure drop in the horizontal double pipes with and without twisted tape insert. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer. 2006; 33:166-75. Crossref1 Crossref2 Crossref3 Crossref4 Crossref5
- Nivedita Uzagare, Premendra Bansod. Enhancement of Heat Transfer Using V-Jagged Twisted Tape In Circular Tube. IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering.2016 Mar-Apr; 13(2):14-7. ISSN: 2320-334X.
- Naga Sarada S, Sita Rama Raju AV, Kalyani Radha K, Shyam Sunder L. Enhancement of Heat Transfer using Varying Width Twisted Tape Inserts. International Journal of Engineering, Science and Technology. 2010; 2(6):107-118.
- Watcharin Noothong, Smith Eiamsa-ard and Pongjet Promvonge. Effect of Twisted-tape Inserts on Heat Transfer in a Tube. International Conference on Sustainable Energy and Environment (SEE006). 2006 November 21-23.
- Patel MJ, Parmar KS, Umang R Soni. Enhance the Performance of Heat Exchanger with Twisted Tape Insert: A Review. International Journal on Recent and Innovation Trends in Computing and Communication. 2014 Feb; 2(2):202-7. ISSN: 2321-8169.
- Sivakumar A, Alagumurthi N, Senthilvelan T. Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Forced Convective Heat Transfer Coefficient in Nanofluids of Al2O3/Water and CuO/EG in a Serpentine Shaped Micro channel Heat Sink.International Journal of Heat and Technology. 2015; 33(1).
- Kirubadurai B, Selvan P, Vijayakumar V, Karthik M. Heat transfer enhancement of nanofluid-A Review. International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology. 2014 July; 3(07). e-ISSN: 2319-1163/p-ISSN: 2321-7308.
- Shuichi-Torii. Experimental study on convective heat transfer of aqueous suspension of Nano diamond particle.International Symposium on Eco Topia Science. 2007; 07.
- Usri NA, Azmi WH, Rizalman Mamat, Abdul Hamid K, Najafi G. Thermal Conductivity Enhancement of Al2O3 Nanofluid in Ethylene Glycol and Water Mixture. International Conference on Alternative Energy in Developing Countries and Emerging Economies. 2015; 39-402.
- Alpesh Mehta, Dinesh K Tantia, Nilesh M Jha, Nimit M Patel.Heat exchanger using nanofluid. International Journal of Advanced Engineering Technology. 2012; 3(4):Article 11. E-ISSN 0976-3945.
- Mala D, Sendhilnathan S, Vembathu Rajesh A. Heat Transfer Analysis Of Al2O3 Nanofluid in Circular Tube With Two Different Twist Inserts. National Conference on Recent Trends and Developments in Sustainable Green Technologies.Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences.ISSN: 0974-2115. Available from: www.Jchps.Com.
- Paresh Machhar, Falgun Adroja. Heat Transfer Enhancement of Automobile Radiator with TiO2/Water Nanofluid. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology (IJERT). 2013 May; 2(5). ISSN: 2278-018.
- Ramteke SN, Ate VP. Heat Transfer Enhancement of Pure Distilled Water and Al2O3 Nanofluid in Circular Pipe with Twisted Tape Insert. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology (IJERT). 2014 June; 3(6). ISSN: 2278-0181.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.