Total views : 165
A Simulated Study on Impact of Preference Function on Network Selection
Objectives: Preference function represents the decision maker attitude towards the differences between networks for a given criterion. This paper studies the impact of various preference functions on network selection in a heterogeneous wireless environment. Methods/Statistical Analysis: A multiple wireless network environment is considered and network selection is performed by assessing each network with respect to quality of service, application requirements and user preferences. As the decision process involves multiple parameters, the problem is viewed to be Multiple Attribute Decision Making (MADM). For this model, Preference Ranking Organization Method for Enrichment Evaluations (PROMETHEE) an outranking MADM method is applied to select best network. Findings: PROMETHEE performs pair-wise comparison of the networks against each criterion and generates outranking flows. The positive and negative outranking flows indicate the degree with which a network is preferable or not, when compared to other networks on a specific criterion. Based on the net outranking flow, the networks are ranked from best to worst. The best ranked network is the optimal network. However, the ranking order is greatly influenced by the preference function. Application/Improvements: This paper investigates the effect of various preference functions on network selection, accuracy, ranking abnormality and network congestion for voice and streaming applications.
Network Selection, Preference Function, Quality of Service, MADM, PROMETHEE
- Yang SF, Wu JS. Handover design with QOS provision across WLAN and WMAN. International Conference on Communications, Circuits and Systems; Fujian: 2008.IEEE. p. 548–52.
- Bari F, Leung V. Application of ELECTRE to Network Selection in a Heterogeneous Wireless Network Environment. IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, Kowloon: 2007. p. 3810–5.
- Chamodrakas I, Martakos D. A Utility-based Fuzzy TOPSIS method for Energy Efficient Network selection in Heterogeneous Wireless Networks. Applied Soft Computing.2012 Jul; 12(7):1929–38. Crossref
- Datta S, Dhar S, Bera RN, Ray A. ANP based Vertical Handover Algorithm for Vehicular Communication. First International Conference on Recent Advances in InformationTechnology (RAIT), Dhanbad: 2012. p. 228–34. Crossref
- Khan M, Han K. An Optimized Network Selection and Handover Triggering Scheme for Heterogeneous Self-Organized Wireless Networks. Mathematical Problems in Engineering.2014. Crossref
- Brans JP, Vincke P, Mareschal B. How to select and how to rank projects: The Promethee method. European Journal of Operational Research. 1986; 24(2):228–38. Crossref
- Rao RV, Patel BK. Decision making in the manufacturing environment using an improved PROMETHEE method.International Journal of Production Research. 2009; 1–18.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.