Total views : 255
A Convergence Technology for Improvement in EDLC Performance through Stereoscopic Patterned Current Collector
Objectives: The conventional aluminum current collector manufacturing method could not make a surface structure which has effective contact with the active material. Hence, there is a limitation in further lowering the resistance with the aluminum material alone. Methods: Before the process of the conventional electrochemical etching for the high purity aluminum foil current collector, Photolithography, an electronic printing technology used in semiconductors and display is used to provide a solution to the obstacle of designing and controlling surface morphology, thus a current collector with stereoscopic pattern is manufactured. Findings: Because the area of contact between the active material and the current collector was increased effectively and the electron transport path was shortened, improvement of the performance in the EDLC with the patterned current collector could be possible. In order to compare the characteristics of EDLCs using various current collectors, capacitance, ESR and L/C were measured. Improvements/Applications: In all measurement, the patterned EDLC exhibited improved performance compared to conventional EDLC.
Aluminum, Convergence, Current Collector, EDLC, Pattern.
- Ishimoto S, Asakawa Y, Shinya M, Naoi K. Degradation responses of activated-carbon-based EDLCs for higher voltage operation and their factors. Journal of the Electrochemical Society. 2009; 156(7):A563–71.
- Hahn M, Barbieri O, Campana FP, Kotz R, Gallay R. Carbon based double layer capacitors with aprotic electrolyte solutions: The possible role of intercalation insertion processes. 2006; 82(4):633–8.
- Patil SM, Prabaharan SRS. Embedded control scheme of stand-alone regenerative braking system using supercapacitors. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Aug; 8(19):1–6.
- Balasundaram G, Arumugam S, Gowrishankar J, Dinakaran C. A new topology for regulation of active power by battery storage system with cascaded multilevel inverter using three phase system. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jun; 9(22).
- Conway BE. Transition from supercapacitor to battery behavior in electrochemical energy storage. Journal of the Electrochemical Society. 1991; 138(6):1539–48.
- Aida T, Yamada K, Morita M. An advanced hybrid electrochemical capacitor that uses a wide potential range at the positive electrode. Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters. 2006; 9(12):A534–6.
- Burke A. Ultracapacitors: Why, how and where is the technology? Journal of Power Sources. 2000; 91(1):37–50.
- Kotz R, Carlen M. Principles and applications of electrochemical capacitors. Electrochimica Acta. 2000; 45(15-16):2483–98.
- Pohlmann S, Olyschlager T, Goodrich P, Alvarez Vicente J, Jacquemin J, Balducci A. Azepanium-based ionic liquids as green electrolytes for high voltage supercapacitors. Journal of Power Sources. 2015; 273:931–6.
- Lei C, Amini N, Markoulidis F, Wilson P, Tennison S, Lekakou C. Activated carbon from phenolic resin with controlled mesoporosity for an electric double-layer capacitor. Journal of Materials Chemistry A. 2013; 1(19):6037–42.
- Bordjiba T, Mohamedi M, Dao LH. Synthesis and electrochemical capacitance of binder less nanocomposite electrodes formed by dispersion of carbon nanotubes and carbon aerogels. Journal of Power Sources. 2007; 172(2):991–8.
- Arbizzani C, Mastragostino M, Soavi F. New trends in electrochemical supercapacitors. Journal of Power Sources. 2001; 100(1-2):164–70.
- Conway BE, Birss V, Wojtowicz J. The role and utilization of pseudocapacitance for energy storage by supercapacitors. Journal of Power Sources. 1997; 66(1-2):1–14.
- Burke AF, Murphy TC. Material characteristics and the performance of electrochemical capacitors for electric/hybrid vehicle applications. Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings. 1995; 393:375–95.
- Balducci A, Dugas R, Taberna PL, Simon P, Plee D, Mastragostino M, Passerini S. High temperature carbon–carbon supercapacitor using ionic liquid as electrolyte. Journal of Power Sources. 2007; 165(2):922–7.
- Kurig H, Vestli M, Janes A, Lust E. Electrical double layer capacitors based on two 1-ethyl-3-methylimidazolium ionic liquids with different anions. Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters. 2011; 14(8):A120–2.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.