Total views : 176
Effect of the Formation of Ambient Ice-like Water Ad- Layersat the Interface of Different Layer Graphene on SiO2/ Si and Si Substrates
Objectives: In this work, we probe the effect of ambient conditions on few layer and multi-layer graphene interfaces in Si and SiO2/Si substrates. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Scanning probe microscopy techniques have been employed to study the topography of the few layer graphene and multi-layer graphene interfaces by Intermittent-Contact Atomic Force Microscopy (IC-AFM) and the changes in the surface gradient of electrical forces have been probed by electrical force microscopy. A study of different thickness of mechanically exfoliated graphene layers, with and without folds, deposited on SiO2/Si and Si substrates is presented here. Findings: The number of ambient ice-like water ad-layers are determined by measurement of the heights of the graphene layers using IC-AFM, while as Electrical Force Microscopy (EFM) is used to determine the nature of the electrical interaction forces at the graphene interfaces on the different substrates. It is found that with increasing thickness of graphene on Si substrates, the electrostatic interaction increases on account of larger number of ambient ice-like water ad-layers formed. Application/Improvements: The electrical nature of Graphene interfaces on hydrophilic and hydrophobic substrates have an important role for the graphene-based devices operating under ambient.
Ambient Ice-like Water ad-Layers (IWLs), Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM), Graphene, Interfaces.
- Novoselov KS, Geim AK, Morozov SV, Jiang D, Zhnag Y, Dubonos SV, Grigorieva IV, Firsov AA. Electricfield Effect in Atomically Thin Carbon Films, Science. 2004; 306(5696):666–69.
- Shim J, Lui CH, Ko TY, Yu YJ, Kim P, Heinz TF, Ryu S. Water-Gated Charge Doping of Graphene Induced by Mica Substrates, Nano Letters. 2012; 12(1):648–54.
- He KT, Wood JD, Doidge GP, Pop E, Lyding JW. Scanning Tunneling Microscopy Study and Nanomanipulation of Graphene-Coated Water on Mica, Nano Letters. 2012; 12(6):2665–72.
- Ochedowski O, Begall G, Scheuschaner N, Kharrazi ME, Maultzsch JM, Schleberger S. Graphene on Si (111)7×7, Nanotechnology. 2012; 23(40):405−708.
- Gowthami T, Kurra N, Raina G. Interaction and Dynamics of Ambient Water Ad-Layers on Graphite Probed using AFM Voltage Nanolithography and Electrostatic Force Microscopy, Nanotechnology. 2014; 15(4):155−304.
- Gowthami T, Tamilselvi G, Jacob G, Raina G. The Role of Ambient Ice-Like Water Ad-Layers Formed at the Interfaces of Graphene on Hydrophobic and Hydrophilic Substrates Probed using Scanning Probe Microscopy, Physics Chemistry Chemistry Physics. 2015; 17(21):139−64.
- Kazakova O, Panchal VTL, Burnett B. Epitaxial Graphene and Graphene–Based Devices Studied by Electrical Scanning Probe Microscopy, Crystals. 2013; 3(1):191–233.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.