Total views : 207
Application of GIS Sieve Mapping and Overlay Techniques for Building Site Suitability Analysis in Part of FUT, Gidan Kwano, Minna, Nigeria
Objective: To produce a visual representation of the suitable areas for siting buildings; this is with a view to reduce the cost of construction usually associated with environmental factors using spatial analyst tool of ArcGIS 10.1 to overlay map layers of constraint and criterial. Methods/Statistical Analysis: This study adopts a Geographical Information System (GIS) sieve mapping approach to select suitable locations for siting proposed blocks of flats for university staff school in allocated part of undeveloped area of Federal University of Technology, Gidan-Kwano campus, Minna. The constraints considered include areas not inside or close to stream and swamp while the criteria are the slope not above 25%, sites area above 2000 Sqm areas within 400 m to electricity power line and areas 100 m away from the main road. 3D coordinates (xyz) data were obtained from ground survey using the Hi-Target V30 GNSS receiver to create the topographic map of the site. Findings: The result revealed that only four (4) sites are suitable for siting building covering an area of 2.98Ha (1.65%) out of the total area of 55.30Ha. It was found from the suitability map that the southern part of the research area is most suitable for siting building. Applications/Improvements: This type of analysis should be done before any structure is sited to avoid assumptions about the suitability of sites. There is the need for further study on the impact of geotechnical factors in the suitability analysis.
GIS, Map Overlay, MCE, Sieve Mapping, Site Analysis, Suitability.
- Steiner F, McSherry L, Cohen J. Land suitability analysis for the upper Gila River watershed. Landscape and Urban Planning. 2000; 50(4):199–214.
- Joerin F, Theriault M, Musy A. Using GIS and overlay for land suitability assessment. International Journal of Geographical Information Science. 2001; 15:153–74.
- Yu J, Chen Y, Wu JP. Cellular automata and GIS based land use suitability simulation for irrigated agriculture.Proceedings of the 18th World IMACS/MODSIM Congress;Cairns, Australia. 2009 Jul 13-17. p. 3584–90.
- Odofin AJ. Effects of no-tillage with Mulch on soil moisture condition, penetration resistance and maize performance in Minna area of Nigeria’s southern guinea savannah. Nigerian Journal of soil Science. 2005; 15(2).
- Onuigbo IC, Bello AE. Assessment and selection of suitable site for solid waste disposal using Surveying and Geoinformatics techniques. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology. 2014; 3(8):1685–92.
- Onuigbo IC, Zitta N, Gbedu AM, Pius IO, Samaila-Ijah HA. Topographic Information System (TIS); A critique to sustainable physical development and decision making. Journal of Multidisciplinary Engineering Science and Technology. 2015; 2(6):1298–304.
- Kumar S, Bansal VK. A GIS based methodology for safe site selection of a building in a hilly region. Frontiers of Architectural Research. 2016; 5(1):39–51.
- Murphy MD. Landscape architecture theory: An evolving body of thought. 1st ed. Long Grove Illinois: Waveland Press, Inc; 2005. p. 79–80.
- Qaddah AA, Abdelwahed MF. GIS-based site-suitability modelling for seismic stations: Case study of the northern Rahat volcanic field, Saudi Arabia. Computers and Geosciences. 2015; 83:193–208.
- Carver SJ. Integrating multi-criteria evaluation with geographical information systems. International Journal of Geographical Information Systems. 1991; 5:321–39.
- Shenavr B, Hosseini SM. Comparison of Multi-Criteria Evaluation (Ahp and Wlc Approaches) for land capability assessment of urban development in GIS. International Journal of Geomatics and Geosciences. 2014; 4(3):446–53.
- Rahman MA, Rusteberg B, Uddin MS, Lutz A, Saada MA, Sauter M. An integrated study of spatial multi-criteria analysis and mathematical modelling for managed aquifer recharge site suitability mapping and site ranking at Northern Gaza coastal aquifer. Journal of Environmental Management.2013; 124:25–39.
- Store R, Kangas J. Integrating spatial multi-criteria evaluation and expert knowledge for GIS based habitat suitability modelling. Landscape and Urban Planning. 2001; 55:79–93.
- Ahmad BA, Shahabi H, Ahmad BB. Application of GIS based multi-criteria analysis in site selection of water reservoirs (Case Study: Batu Pahat, Malaysia). Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology. 2015; 9(11):995–1005.
- Postgraduate School Prospectus (2014-2019). Available from: http://www.uct.ac.za/usr/pgstudieshub/PG%20Prospectus% 202014%20-2016.pdf
- Odofin AJ. Effects of no-tillage with Mulch on soil moisture condition, penetration resistance and maize performance in Minna area of Nigeria’s southern Guinea Savannah [PhD thesis]. Minna: School of Postgraduate Studies Federal University of Technology; 2005.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.