Total views : 185
Comparison of Isokinetic Muscular Strength of the Knee Joint according to the Ankle Joint Position
Objectives: The purpose of the study was to investigate the effect of the position of the ankle joint on the isokinetic muscular strength of the knee joint. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The subjects of this study were 20 young and healthy adult females who were applied at random ankle joint positions and underwent the flexion and extension of the knee joint. Isokinetic muscle strength was measured for each process at an angle speed of 60°/sec with CSMI. The comparison of knee muscle strength for each ankle position was conducted by a one-way ANOVA. Post hoc tests utilized LSD. Findings: When the knee joint was extension at a 40° plantar flexion, it showed a significant difference regarding the neutral position and the position of the 20° dorsiflexion (p<.05). Knee flexion did not show a significant difference depending on the position of the ankle joint (p>.05). The muscle strength rate of the knee joint showed a significant difference for the neutral position and the position of the 20° dorsiflexion at the position of a 40° plantar flexion (p<.05). Improvements/Applications: We propose that the position of plantar flexion was the most effective at expressing maximum muscle strength when doing an isokinetic knee extension exercise.
Ankle, Isokinetic Exercise, Isokinetic Strength, Joint Angle, Knee.
- Miyazaki S, Yamamoto S. Moment acting at the me tatarsophalangeal joints during normal barefoot level walking. Gait and Posture. 1993; 1(3):133–40.
- Gyu KT, Chul PJ. Relationship between balance and isokinetic strength of ankle joint by playing position of elite female field hockey players. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(19):1–6.
- Helenm J, Hislo P, Jacqueline M. Muscle testing. 6th ed. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders Co; 1995. p. 251–67.
- Walmsley RP, Christopher S. A comparative study of the torque genetated by the shoulder internal and external rotator muscles in different positions and various speeds. Journal of Orthopaedic Sports Physio Therapy. 1987; 9(6):217–22.
- Yeo SS, Kwon JW, Kim CS. The effects of ankle joint angle on knee extensor electromyographic activity. Journal of Korean Society Physical Medicine. 2009; 4(1):15–21.
- Lee HJ, Kim SJ, Kim SJ, Kim HJ, Park BR, Park SY. Effect on the lower extremity muscle activity according to the heel height and wedge position. Journal of Rebailitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of Korea. 2014; 8(4):291–7.
- Kim SG. Effect of treadmill gradient training on lower limb muscle activity in chronic stroke patient. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. 2012; 13(1):220–6.
- Kim SK, Bin SI, Kim CJ. The usefulness of measuring knee joint isokinetic parameters in patients with anterior cruciate ligament injury. Korean Association of Medical Journal Editors. 1997; 15(2):225–34.
- Jin OS, Goo KJ, Kil LS. Relationship between isokinetic strengths, subjective knee scores, and functional performance after ACL reconstruction. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(S9):390–6.
- Choi HH, Lee DJ, Yu YK. The effect of lower limb training program on maximum muscular strength of lower limb and physical fitness of university soccer player. KJGD. 2013; 21(2):83–9.
- Marcovic G. Does plyometric training improve verti cal jump height a meta-analytical review. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2007; 41(6):349–55.
- Park JS, Park SY. Effects of isokinetic strength and foot-pressure with and without to injury of knee Joint. KJGD. 2013; 21(3):205–10.
- Grace TG, Sweetser ER, Nelson MA, Ydens LR, Skipper BJ. Isokinetic muscle imbalane and knee joint injuries: A prospective blind study. Journal of Bone Joint Surgery American. 1984; 66(5):734–40.
- Agaard P, Simonsen EB, Trolle M, Bangsbo J, Klausen K. Isokinetic hamstring/quadriceps strength ratio: Influence from joint angular velocity, gravity correction and contraction mode. Acta Physilogica Scandiavia. 1995; 154(4):421–7.
- Holmes JR, Alderink GJ. Isokinetic strength characte ristics of the quadriceps femoris and hamstrings muscles in high school students. Physical Therapy. 1984; 64(6):914–8.
- Shin CH. Isokinetic strength of quadriceps and ham string, hamstrings/quadriceps ratios in ellite sports. Korean Journal of Physical Anthropolgy. 2008; 21(4):351–60.
- Hewett TE, Ford KR, Myer GD, Wanstrath K, Scheper M. Gender differences in hip adduction motion and torque during a single leg agility maneuver. Journal of Orthooptics Research. 2006; 24(3):416–21.
- Song JE. Comparative study between the knee joint and muscular strength among Korean dancer, ballet dancer and normal person. Journal of Korean Society of Dance. 2008; 16:1–11.
- Cho HC, Roh DS. A study on injury prevention and teaching methods in boxing by the characteristics of leg muscular strength of different angular velocity in amateur boxing athletes. Journal of Korean Society for the Study of Physical Education. 2013; 18(2):275–83.
- Cress NM, Peters KS, Chandler JM. Eccentric and concentric force velocity relationship of the quadriceps femoris muscle. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 1992; 16(2):82–6.
- Jeon TW, Shin HJ, Kim YW, Park ST. Development of low-extremity isokinetic strength normative database for adults 20-30. Kinesiology. 2011; 13(4):19–27.
- Yoo WK, Lee CH, Lee HJ. Effects of a combined posture of the lower extremity on activity of the vastus medialis oblique muscle and vastus lateralis muscle during static squat exercise. Physical Therapy Korea. 2004; 11(3):1–9.
- Kang SS, Kwon TW. Isokinetic evaluation for each optimal angle on peak torque of the knee and ankle joints for the eltite jumping players in athletic sports. Journal of The Korean Society of Sports Science. 2000; 9(2):769–78.
- Adamantios A, Kiros K, Savvas S, Gaspar MK, Gianpiero D, Gert-Peter B. Effect of different ankle and knee joint positions on gastrocnemius medialis fascicle length and EMG activity during isometric plantar flexion. J Biomech. 2006; 39(10):1891–902.
- Coombs R, Garbutt G. Developments in the use of the hamstring/quadriceps ratio for the assessment of muscle balance. Journal of Sports Science Medical. 2002; 1(3):56–62.
- Soderman K, Alfredson H, Pietila T, Werner S. Risk factors for leg injuries in female soccer players: A prospective investigation during one out-door season. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2001; 9(5):313–21.
- Burkett LN. Causative fators in hamstring strains. Med Sci sports. 1970; 2(1):39–42.
- Han TR, Kim IS, Kim JH, Kim YS. Normative data of functional hamstring/quadriceps ratios by age based on isokinetic exercise testing. J Korean Acad Rehabil Med. 2003; 27(5):764–73.
- Yu CS, Chang SK. The isokinetic evaluation of knee extensors and flexors in the normal subjects for those twenties. Journal of Korean Society Physical Therapy. 2013; 25(4):167–73.
- Park MH. Changes of quadriceps and hamstring strength ratio in women of different ages. Journal of Korean Society Physical Therapy. 2006; 13(3):75–83.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.