Total views : 156
FPGA Based Remote Monitoring System in Smart Grids
Objectives: Continuous monitoring and automation of the system is required for improving the efficiency and safety of the grid. This paper implements a remote monitoring system for smart grids using Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) based Wireless Sensor Networks (WSN). Methods: A wireless data logging system which monitors current, voltage and frequency of a micro grid prototype including grid, wind and solar is designed and implemented. The data is acquired and sent wirelessly to a personal computer. Findings: The experimental results show that the measured parameters match the rated quantities of the miniature smart grid. The calibrated module along with the wireless node communicates the monitored parameters to the base station at periodic intervals. Applications: Presently, wind and solar power generators are available in small ratings and this has created a new revolution in the field of energy production and distribution. So there is a need for determining the various parameters such as voltage and current of these small scale generators simultaneously for the purpose of monitoring and analysis.
FPGA, Remote Monitoring, Smart Grid, Wireless Sensor Networks.
- Fadel E, Gungor VC, Nassef L, Akkari N, Malik MGA, Suleiman A. A surveyon wireless sensor networks for smart grid.Computer Communications. 2015 Nov; 71(1):22–33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comcom.2015.09.006
- Kuzlu M, Manisa P, Saifurrahman. Communication network requirements for major smart grid application: HAN, NAN and WAN.Computer Networks, Elsevier. 2014 Apr; 67:74–88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2014.03.029
- Sorries B. Communication technologies for smart grids and smart metering. Connectivity Special Interest Group (450 SIG); 2013 Sep.
- Villa D, Martín C, Villanueva FJ, Moya F, López JC. A dynamically reconfigurable Architecture for Smart Grids. IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics. 2011 May; 57(2):411–9. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2011.5955174
- Bari A, Jiang J, Saad W, Jaekel A.Challenges in the smart grid applications: An overview.International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks. 2014Feb; 10(2):1–11. https:// doi.org/10.1155/2014/974682
- Vieira M, Coelho CN, Da Silva DC, da Mata J. Survey on wireless sensor network devices.Proceedingsof the IEEE Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation, Portugal; 2003. p. 537–44. https://doi.org/10.1109/etfa.2003.1247753
- Nasir HJA, Ku-Mahamud KR. Wireless sensor network: A bibliographical survey.Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(38):1–21.
- Liu Y. Wireless sensor network applications in smart grid: Recent trends and challenges.International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks.2012 Sep; 8(9):1–8. https:// doi.org/10.1155/2012/492819
- Arvind VR, Raj RR, Raj RR, Prakash NK. Industrial automation using wireless sensor networks.Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 March; 9(11):1–8. https://doi.org/10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i11/88455
- Zhang Q, Sun Y, Cui Z. Application and analysis of Zigbeetechnology for smart grids.Proceedings of International Conference on Computer and Information Application,Tianjin; 2010. p. 171–4.
- Gungor VC, Sahin D, Kocak T, Ergut S, Buccella C, Cecati C, Hancke GP.A survey on smart grid potential applications and communication requirements. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics. 2013 Feb; 9(1):28–42. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2012.2218253
- Meena S, Prakash NK. Runtime reconfiguration of wireless sensor node using FPGA. Proceedings of International Conference on Computing, Communication and Networking Technologies, China; 2014.p. 1–5. https://doi.org/10.1109/icccnt.2014.6963048
- Li Z, Chen DH. Design and implementation of data acquisition system based on FPGA and high-speed AD.Applied Mechanics and Materials. 2014 May; 556–562:1515–9.
- Wang X-Y, Lu Y-H, Zhang L-K.Design and implementation of high-speed real-time data acquisition system based on FPGA. Journal of China Universities of Posts and Telecommunications. 2006 Dec; 13(4):61–6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1005-8885(07)60035-1
- Prakash NK, Surjith B.Wireless sensor network based remote monitoring system in smart grids.International Journal of Control Theory and Applications. 2016;9(14):6639–46.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.