Total views : 223
The Impact of VCOP Technique on Developing the Writing Skills of Tertiary Students in the Indian Context: A Study
Background/Objectives: In India, teaching English for learners in heterogeneous and overcrowded classrooms is a challenging task. This study attempts to investigate the effect of teaching Big Writing elements at tertiary level. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The study is experimental and it involves a single group. The participants of the study were seventy, first year B.Com students from Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science, Chennai, South India. Pre-test and post-test were administered before and after the intervention and the result was analysed using SPSS software. Findings: The findings of the study suggest that there is a statistically significant improvement in writing abilities of the participants after the Big Writing instruction. Applications/Improvements: The Big Writing approach can be used to develop the writing skills of the technical students belonging to polytechnic colleges and engineering students, especially the low achievers.
Big Writing, English as Second Language, Tertiary Learners, VCOP Technique, Writing Skills
- Hedge T. Teaching and Learning in the Language Classroom. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 2000 Jan; 464 pp.
- Brookes, Arthur, Grundy P. Beginning to write: writing activities for elementary and intermediate Learners. In:Thornbury S editor. Cambridge Handbooks for Language Teachers. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press. 1998; 1–86. PMid:9496660
- Harland Lynn L, Sainsbury M. Initial Evaluation of the Impact of Big Writing. Available from: http://www.nfer.ac.uk/publications/OUPW01 pdf. Date accessed: 26/11/2014.
- Ros Wilson’s Big Writing. Available from: http://www.andrelleducation.co.uk/big- writing.html Date accessed: 26/11/2014.
- Syiem EM. A study on Improving the English Writing Skills of Higher Secondary Students in Meghalaya, India, Through a Three-Week Module. Available from: http://www.mlcuniv.in/downloads/Evarisha_Syiem_Executive_Summary.pdf Date accessed: 07/01/2015
- Pleasants A. Lomeshaye Junior School Case Study. Available from: http://www.Lancsngfl.ac.uk/projects/gp_award/download/file/Lomeshaye.J.007.018.pdf. Date accessed: 30/11/2014
- Florence, Sophia, Sherine A. Using Big Writing Strategy for Developing Writing Ability: A Study. The Journal of English Language Teaching (India). English Language Teachers’ Association of India. 2015; 57(3):63–70.
- Jacobs, Zinkgarf HL, Wormuth SA, Hartfiel DR, Hughey VH. Testing ESL composition: A practical approach. Rowley, MA: Newbery House. 1981; 375
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.