Total views : 167
A Case Study on the Operation of Community School for Empowerment of Residents
Background/Objectives: In this study, success stories of residents participating Village Making Projects as urban regeneration escaping from government leading are introduced by community school. Methods/Statistical Analysis: This study was performed in 3 steps through participating observation. At the first stage, activities of the residents were observed in the whole course of community school in Seogu Nambumin-2-dong, Busan and contents and materials of Village Making Project were collected. At the second stage they were reviewed and analyzed and at the third stage suggestions and improvement directions were. Findings: Resident empowerment of urban regeneration and Village Making is achieved through formation of mutual relationship, creation of shared value of space and cultivation of problem solving ability. In specific, first, co-operative relationship needs to be set forth between planners and participants (residents) in the introductory stage. Second, they share the problem awareness based on this relationship and conduct survey on resources based on strengths of residents. Third, they gain knowledge and skills through collective group activities for problem solving. Fourth, they derive alternative solutions to various goals and methods based on critical thinking. Fifth, they decide the optimal alternative through discussion and seek methods for embodiment of the selected alternative. With this concept, community school was held with university professors participating as planners and coordinators to encourage participation of residents in Village Making and empowerment. Improvements/Applications: Based on the above results, a community school has a potential in the application of a new practical method for the empowerment of residents.
Community School, Empowerment of Residents, Participating Observation, Resident Participating, Urban Regeneration, Village Making.
- Jin JM. A study on the relationship between municipal efforts to include residents and the Quality of Life (QOL) in the process of community building programs in Busan, Korea: Focused on the perceptions of residents. Journal of Critical Social Policy. 2014; 45:340–72.
- Kim SY, Choi BM, Lee JJ, Jo YT, Kim EH, Choi SH. Current and future direction of Village Making in Korea Society. Urban Informational Service. 2013; 371:3–20.
- Hong JE. The role of local government of the community building project. Journal of Public Society. 2013; 3(2):151–69.
- Kim YJ, Park NH. Case analysis of Machizukuri in Japan from the perspective of sustainable community. Journal of Korean Home Management Association. 2012; 30(4): 133–46.
- Mok JH, Park JH. A comparative case study for maul-mandulgi practices-focused on Kwangju Bukgu and Tokyo Setagayagu Cases. Urban Design. 2008; 9(4):19–38.
- Lee TH. Examinations of meanings of community participation in urban regeneration and their applications in regeneration policy: Focusing on new deal for communities program in the UK. The Korea Spatial Planning Review. 2015; 86:139–59.
- Kim CY. A study on revitalization of local communities through collaboration with university - Focusing on case studies of collaboration planning program between local universities communities in Japan. Journal of the Urban Design Institute of Korea. 2013; 14(5):65–78.
- Lee TH, Park SE, Kim TH. Urban regeneration through university - Community partnerships in Japan - A case study of Yokohama City and Yokohama City University Partnership. Journal of the Korean Geographical Society. 2016; 51(1):57–75.
- Kim JE. A case study of neighborhood renewal through university - Community Partnership: UIC neighborhood initiative. Seoul Study. 2010; 11(3):69–86.
- Lee CH, Bae WK. University-led community revitalization - Focusing on university facilities development and community planning activities of the University of Pennsylvania. Journal of Korea Planning Association. 2007; 47(6):89–104.
- Lee CH. A study on the regeneration of a university town through off-campus facilities - A case study of Waseda University, Japan. Journal of the Urban Design Institute of Korea. 2009; 10(2):43–57.
- Kim CY. A study on revitalization of local communities through collaboration with university - Focusing on case studies of collaboration planning program between local universities and communities in Japan. Journal of the Urban Design Institute of Korea. 2013; 14(5):65–78.
- Sim KT. Explanation of space, understanding of place and value of environment in the regional instruction. The Journal of the Korean Association of Geographic and Environmental Education. 2003; 11(3):17–31.
- Lee SH, Hwang KW. The ambiguous concepts of place and placeness. Journal of Korea Planning Association. 1997; 32(5):169–84.
- Krotova E, Demidova N, Kamerilova G, Kiseleva N, Perevoshchikova E, Elena P. Educational potential of eco-design of the metropolis urban environment. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(14):1–6.
- Kim JK, Lee JJ, Hwang KW. A case study on ‘Learning Program of Academy of Urban Planning’ for citizen’s empowerment in public facilities planning process – Focused on the 2009 Year ‘Learning Program of Academy of Urban Planning’ in Capital Area. Journal of the Urban Design Institute of Korea. 2011; 12(4):105–25.
- Gaurav G. Affordable housing: Reality or myth. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(30):1–6.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.