Total views : 59
A High Efficiency Motor Driving System with GaN FETs for Electric Wheelchairs
We investigate the effectiveness of GaN FETs to reduce the switch losses in the motor driving system for electric wheelchairs. In general, the three phase inverter is used as the circuit topology for the motor driving system, and it has the six power semiconductor switches based on the silicon such as IGBT and MOSFET. As a method for the reduction of the switch loss including the reverse recovery loss, we replaced the MOSFETs with the GaN FETs, because the GaN FETs have the electric performance improvements over their silicon counterparts. To verify the superiority and effectiveness of GaN FETs, the motor driving systems with GaN FETs and MOSFETs were analyzed and compared by the PSIM simulator. In the simulation, the calculated switch loss of a MOSFET and a cascode GaN FET for the 830W motor driving system is 0.327W and 0.074 W, respectively. The GaN FET had the 4.4 times lower switch loss than the Si FET. Therefore, the effectiveness of the GaN FET for reducing the switch loss is proved from the simulation results.
Electric Wheelchair, FET (Field Effect Transistor), GaN (Gallium Nitride), Motor Driving System, Rehabilitation.
- Jun-Uk C, In-Hyuk M, Gi-Won C, Jei-Cheong R. Design of BLDC motor controller for electric power wheelchair.ICM’04; 2004 Jun. p. 92–7.
- In-Chul Y. The development of a drive system for semi power wheelchair. Journal of Korea Intellectual Patent Society. 2002; 4(1):41–4.
- Jin-Nam K. Design of electric auotmatic manual weelchair driving system. Journal of the Korea Academic-Industrial Cooperation Society. 2013; 14(11):5392–5.
- Dong-Youn K, Kwang-Sik K, Jang-Mok K. Control method of power-assist device using a BLDC motor for manual wheelchair. Journal of Power Electronics. 2016 Mar; 16(2):798–804.
- Seki H, Akasaka S. Deceleration control system for electricpowered wheelchairs with efficient BLDC charge/ discharge. IEEJ Journal of Industry Applications. 2015 Jan; 4(1):11–19.
- Takahashi Y, Matsuo S, Kawakami. Hybird robotic wheelchair with photovoltanic solar cell and fuel cell. ICCAS 2008; 2008 Oct. p. 1636–40.
- Arias JL, Harbaugh DL, Drake ED, Boughn DW. A sealed bipolar lead acid battery for small electric vehicles. Battery Conference on Application and Advances; 1996 Jan. p.179–82.
- Rascanu GC, Solea R. Electric wheelchair control for people with locomotor disabilities using eye movements. ICSTCC 2011; 2011 Oct; p. 1–5.
- Hong EP, Lee SH, Ryu JC, Moon MS. A study on lithium iron phosphate battery performance of a powered wheelchair.Koera Society of Precision Engineering; 2013. p.1035–6.
- Hong EP, Kim DH, Choi KW, Ryu JC, Mun MS.Delevopment of lithium polyer battery pack for powered wheelchair. Koera Society of Precision Engineering; 2013.p. 1191–2.
- Wang W, Pansier F, de Haan SWH, Ferreira JA. Losses comparison of gallium nitride and silicon transistors in a high frequency boost converter. CIPS2014; 2014 Feb. p.1–6.
- Tamura S, Anda Y, Ishida M, Uemoto Y, Ueda T, Tanaka T, Ueda D. 99.3% efficiency of three-phase inverter for motor driver using GaN based Gate Injection Transistors. APEC 2011; 2011 Mar. p. 481–4.
- Zhao C, Trento B, Jiang L, Jones EA, Liu B, Zhang Z, Costinett D, Wang F, Tolbert LM, Jansen JF, Kress R, Langley R. Design and implementation of GaN-based, 100 kHz, 102W/in3 Single-Phase Inverter. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics. 2016 Sep; 4(3):824–40.
- Nagai S, Kawai Y, Tabata O, Choe S, Negoro N, Ueda T. A high-efficient driving isolated drive-by-microwave halfbridge gate driver for a GaN inverter. APEC 2016; 2016 Mar. p. 2051–4.
- Gurpinar E, Yang Y, Iannuzzo F, Castellazzi A, Blaabjerg F.Reliability-driven assessment of GaN HEMTs and Si IGBTs in 3L-ANPC PV inverters. IEEE Journal Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics. 2016 Sep; 4(3):956– 69.
- Gurpinar E, Castellazzi A. Single-phase T-type inverter performance benchmark using Si IGBTs, SiC MOSFETs, and GaN HEMTs. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics.2016 Oct; 31(10):7148–60.
- Lin C-Y, Liu Y-C, Lai J-S, Chen B. High-voltage GaN HEMT evaluation in micro-inverter applications. APEC2015; 2016 Mar. p. 2474–80.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.