Total views : 138
The Correlation between Resistivity and Soil Properties as an Alternative to Soil Investigation
Objectives: To propose a possible assessment for soil investigation by correlating the resistivity values with soil properties. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Throughout the study, drilling work was carried out where samples were then brought to the laboratory and tested for the related properties. All the data were then analyzed and correlated. Findings: Experimental result (e. g.; resistivity and moisture content) from correlation and regression showed the coefficient of determination, R2 were found to be 0.8168. Application/Improvements: The produced empirical formula with w = 123.93rs-0.252 could be a possible assessment as an alternative to determine moisture content.
Correlation, Geotechnical, Investigation, Resistivity, Soil.
- Samouëlian A, Cousin I, Tabbagh A, Bruand A, Richard G. Electrical resistivity survey in soil science: A review. Soil and Tillage Research. 2005; 83(2):173–93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.still.2004.10.004
- Islam T, Chik Z. Improved near surface soil characterizations using a multilayer soil resistivity model. Geoderma. 2013; 209–210:136–42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2013.06.015
- Drahor MG. A review of integrated geophysical investigations from archaeological and cultural sites under encroaching urbanisation in İzmir, Turkey. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, Parts A/B/C. 2011; 36(16):1294–309. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pce.2011.03.010
- Herman R. An introduction to electrical resistivity in geophysics. American Journal of Physics. 2001; 69(9):943–52. https://doi.org/10.1119/1.1378013
- Zhu J-J, Kang H-Z, Gonda Y. Application of Wenner Configuration to Estimate Soil Water Content in Pine Plantations on Sandy Land. Pedosphere. 2007; 17(6):801–12. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1002-0160(07)60096-4
- Calamita G, Brocca L, Perrone A, Piscitelli S, Lapenna V, Melone F. Electrical resistivity and TDR methods for soil moisture estimation in central Italy testsites. Journal of Hydrology. 2012; 454–455:101–12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2012.06.001
- Puth M-T, Neuhäuser M, Ruxton GD. Effective use of Pearson's product–moment correlation coefficient. Animal Behaviour. 2014; 93:183–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anbehav.2014.05.003
- Zou KH, Tuncali K, Silverman SG. Correlation and simple linear regression. Radiology. 2003; 227(3):617–28. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2273011499 PMid:12773666
- Cheng C-L, Garg G. Coefficient of determination for multiple measurement error models. Journal of Multivariate Analysis. 2014; 126:137–52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmva.2014.01.006
- Mukaka M. A guide to appropriate use of Correlation coefficient in medical research. Malawi Medical Journal. 2012; 24(3):69–71. PMid:23638278 PMCid:PMC3576830
- Osman S, Baharom S, Harith T, Zahir Z. Correlation of electrical resistivity with some soil properties in predicting factor of safety in slopes using simple multi meter. Conference on Sustainable Building and Infrastructure, Kuala Lumpur; 2010.
- Pozdnyakov A, Pozdnyakova L, Karpachevskii L. Relationship between water tension and electrical resistivity in soils. Eurasian Soil Science. 2006; 39(1):S78–S83. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1064229306130138
- Osman S, Baharom S, Siddique FI. Correlation of electrical resistivity with some soil parameter for the development of possible prediction of slope stability and bearing capacity of soil using electrical parameters. Pertanika Journal Science and Technology. 2014.
- Bery AA, Saad R. Tropical clayey sand soil's behaviour analysis and its empirical correlations via geophysics electrical resistivity method and engineering soil characterizations. International Journal of Geosciences. 2012; 3:111–6. https://doi.org/10.4236/ijg.2012.31013
- Siddiqui FI, Osman SBABS. Simple and multiple regression models for relationship between electrical resistivity and various soil properties for soil characterization. Environmental Earth Sciences. 2013; 70(1):259–67. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-012-2122-0
- Fenton GA, Griffiths D. Bearing-capacity prediction of spatially random c φ soils. Canadian Geotechnical Journal. 2003; 40(1):54–65. https://doi.org/10.1139/t02-086
- Kemper W, Rosenau R, Dexter A. Cohesion development in disrupted soils as affected by clay and organic matter content and temperature. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 1987; 51(4):860–7. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1987.03615995005100040004x
- Nimmo J. Porosity and pore size distribution. Encyclopedia of Soils in the Environment. 2004; 3:295–303.
- Santamarina J, Cho G. Soil behaviour: The role of particle shape. Advances in geotechnical engineering: The skempton conference [Internet]. [cited 2015 Jun 19]. Available from: http://www.icevirtuallibrary.com/doi/abs/10.1680/ aigev1.32644.0035?src=recsys.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.