Total views : 98
Evaluation on the Thermo-Oxidative Degradation of PET using Prodegradant Additives
Objectives: Transition metal stearates are example of potent pro-degradants reported to work at trace levels. They speed up the oxidative reaction leading to polymeric chain cleavage and reduction in molecular mass causing bio-assimilation of plastic waste. In this paper, attempt to analyze the effect of different loading amounts of cobalt stearate (CS) on the polymeric matrix of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) has been reported. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Formulated compounds were melt blended using an extruder and the extrudates were pelletized prior to molding into bone shaped specimens using an injection molding machine for characterization purpose. Findings: The effects on the incorporation of CS on the mechanical properties revealed that CS influences its tensile strength and elongation at break (%) at processing stage and studies based on Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR) spectra and carbonyl index (CI) measurements indicate that blends’ consisting of 0.25CS contributes to thermal degradation of PET. Application/Improvements: The outcome of this study would assist in the production of biodegradable materials which could decompose in shorter time frame as well as reduces plastic waste in environment.
Cobalt Stearate, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Pro-Degradant, Thermo-Oxidation.
- Chen H, Liu Z, Cebe P. Chain confinement in electrospun nanofibers of PET with carbon nanotubes. Polymer (Guildf). 2009 Dec; 50(3):872–80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2008.12.030
- Jung KH, Huh MW, Meng W, Yuan J, Hyun SH, Bae JS, Hudson SM, Kang IK. Preparation and Antibacterial Activity of PET/Chitosan Nanofibrous Mats Using an Electrospinning Technique. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 2007 Sep; 105(5):2816–23. https://doi.org/10.1002/ app.25594
- Downey R. Asia-Pacific: Growth Region for PET Bottles. News and Resources. 2016 Jan.
- Barnes DKA, Galgani F, Thompson RC, Barlaz M. Accumulation and Fragmentation of Plastic Debris in Global Environments.Philosophical Transcation of The Royal Society. 2009 Jun; 364(1526):1985–98. https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2008.0205 PMid:19528051 PMCid:PMC2873009
- Kint D, Munoz-Guerra S. A review on the potential biodegradability of poly (ethylene terephthalate) . Polymer International. 1999 Jan; 48(5):346–52. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0126(199905)48:5<346::AIDPI156> 3.0.CO;2-N
- Mello DD, Pezzin H, Amico SC. The effect of post-consumer PET particles on the performance of flexible polyurethane foams. Polymer. Testing. 2009 May; 28(7):702–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymertesting.2009.05.014
- Roy PK, Surekha P, Rajagopal C, Raman R, Choudhary V. Study on the Degradation of Low-Density Polyethylene in the Presence of Cobalt Stearate and Benzil. Journal of Applied. Polymer Science. 2006 Jan; 99(1):236–43. https://doi.org/10.1002/app.22464
- Thomas NL, Clarke J, McLauchlin AR. Patrick SG. Oxodegradable plastics : degradation, environmental impact and recycling.Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Waste and Resources Management. 2012 Aug; 165(3):133–40.
- Reddy MM, Deighton M, Gupta RK, Bhattacharya SN, Parthasarathy R. Biodegradation of Oxo-Biodegradable Polyethylene. Journal of AppliedPolymer Science. 2008 Oct; 111(3):1426–32. https://doi.org/10.1002/app.29073
- Ammala A, Bateman S, Dean K, Petinakis E, Sangwan P, Wong S, Yuan Q, Yu L, Patrick C, Leong KH. An Overview of Degradable and Biodegradable Polyolefins. Progress in Polymer Science. 2010 Dec; 36(8):1015–49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.progpolymsci.2010.12.002
- Roy PK, Surekha P, Rajagopal C, Choudhary V. Comparative Effects of Cobalt Carboxylates on the Thermo-Oxidative Degradation of LDPE Films. Journal ofApplied Polymer Science. 2006 Aug; 103(6):3758–65.
- Islam NM, Othman N, Ahmad Z, Ismail H. Effect of Prodegradant Additives Concentration on Aging Properties of Polypropylene Films. Polymer Plastic Technology and Engineering. 2010 Feb; 49(3):272–8. https://doi.org/10.1080/03602550903413904
- Sharma N, Chang LP, Chu YL, Ismail H, Ishiaku US, Mohd Ishak ZA. Study on the effect of pro-oxidant on the thermo-oxidative degradation behaviour of sago starch filled polyethylene. Polymer Degradation and Stability. 2001 Jan; 71(3):381–93. https://doi.org/10.101/S01413910(00)00189-0
- Roy PK, Surekha P, Rajagopal C, Chatterjee SN, Choudhary V. Studies on the photo-oxidative degradation of LDPE films in the presence of oxidised polyethylene. Polymer Degradation and Stability. 2007 Jan; 92(6):1151–60. https:// doi.org/10.1016/j.polymdegradstab.2007.01.010
- FluidChe 2017 Available from: http://fluidsche.ump.edu.my/index.php/en/
- The Center of Excellence for Advanced Research in Fluid Flow (CARIFF) Available from: http://cariff.ump.edu.my/
- Natural resources products prospects - International Conference on Fluids and Chemical Engineering FluidsChE 2017 Malaysia, ). Indian Journal of science and technology. 2017; S2(1).
- University Malaysia Pahang. Available from: www.ump.edu.my
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.