Total views : 212
Autoclave-Assisted Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles using Metroxylon Sagu for Antibacterial Application
Background/Objectives: Silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) have been conventionally synthesized through several complicated steps that require careful attention. In this study, a simplified green synthesis method for the production of AgNPs in one pot via autoclaving method was reported. Methods/ Statistical Analysis: Different concentrations of Sago solution were mixed with 1 mM AgNO3 and autoclaved at 121 °C for 20 min. The Sago acted as the reducing and capping agent as well as the stabilizer to produce the AgNPs. The synthesized AgNPS were characterized using UV-V is spectrometry, FTIR and EFTEM analysis. The antibacterial assay was also carried out using agar well diffusion method for the investigation of the antibacterial activity of the synthesized AgNPs against Gram positive (Micrococcus luteus) and Gram negative (Escherichia coli) bacteria. Findings: The UV-Vis spectrum for the synthesized AgNPs ranging between 410 – 415 nm, and the shifted peaks of the FTIR spectrum confirmed the presence of the synthesized AgNPs. From the EFTEM images, the AgNPs are spherical in shape and well distributed with average particle sizes of 17.2 ± 6.7 nm. The AgNPs also exhibited great antibacterial activities against both bacteria through the agar well diffusion as clearly observed in the inhibition zones. Application/Improvements: Autoclaved and sterilized AgNPs have been synthesized through an environment friendly way and has exhibited great antibacterial activities through the simple and fast method. These AgNPs are suitable for application as promising antibacterial agent in various applications especially in biomedical devices.
Antibacterial, Autoclave, Metroxylon Sagu, Silver Nanoparticles.
- Guzmán MGM, Dille J, Godet S. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles by chemical reduction method and their antibacterial activity. International Journal of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. 2009; 2(3):104-11.
- Singla R, Soni S, Kulurkar PM, Kumari A, S M, Patial V, Padwad YS, Yadav SK. In situ functionalized nanobiocomposites dressings of bamboo cellulose nanocrystals and silver nanoparticles for accelerated wound healing. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2017; 155:152-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2016.08.065 PMid:27702499
- Levi-Polyachenko N, Jacob R, Day C, Kuthirummal N. Chitosan wound dressing with hexagonal silver nanoparticles for hyperthermia and enhanced delivery of small molecules. Colloids Surfaces B Biointerfaces. 2016; 142:315-24. https:// doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2016.02.038 PMid:26970819
- Xue C-H, Chen J, Yin W, Jia S-T, Ma J-Z. Superhydrophobic conductive textiles with antibacterial property by coating fibers with silver nanoparticles. Applied Surface Science. 2012; 258:2468-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2011.10.074
- Katz LM, Dewan K, Bronaugh RL. Nanotechnology in cosmetics. Food Chemical Toxicology. 2015; 85:127-37.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2015.06.020 PMid:26159063
- Lee SJ, Heo DN, Heo M, et al. Most simple preparation of an inkjet printing of silver nanoparticles on fibrous membrane for water purification: Technological and commercial application.Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry.2017; 46:273-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2016.10.039
- Mittal AK, Tripathy D, Choudhary A, et al. Bio-synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Potentilla fulgens Wall. ex Hook.and its therapeutic evaluation as anticancer and antimicrobial agent. Materials Science and Engineering C. Materials for biological applications. 2015; 53:120-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msec.2015.04.038 PMid:26042698
- Oluwafemi OS, Mochochoko T, Leo AJ, Mohan S, Jumbam DN, Songca SP. Microwave irradiation synthesis of silver nanoparticles using cellulose from Eichhornia crassipes plant shoot. Materials Letters. 2016; 185:576-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2016.08.116
- Yang N, Sun Z-X, Feng L-S, et al. Plastic Film Mulching for Water-Efficient Agricultural Applications and Degradable Films Materials Development Research. Materialsand Manufacturing Processes. 2014; 30(2):143-54. https://doi.org/10.1080/10426914.2014.930958
- Velusamy P, Das J, Pachaiappan R, Vaseeharan B, Pandian K. Greener approach for synthesis of antibacterial silver nanoparticles using aqueous solution of neem gum (Azadirachta indica L.). Industrial Crops Products.2015; 66(1):103-09. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop. 2014.12.042
- Vigneshwaran N, Nachane RP, Balasubramanya RH, Varadarajan PV. A novel one-pot "green" synthesis of stable silver nanoparticles using soluble starch. CarbohydrateResearch. 2006; 341(12):2012-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carres.2006.04.042 PMid:16716274
- Espenti CS, Rao KSVK, Rao KM. Bio-Synthesis and Characterization of Silver Nanoparticles Using Terminaliachebula Leaf Extract and Evaluation of Its Antimicrobial Potential. Materials Letters.2016; 174:129-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2016.03.106
- Rastogi L, Sashidhar RB, Karunasagar D, Arunachalam J.Gum kondagogu reduced/stabilized silver nanoparticles as direct colorimetric sensor for the sensitive detection of Hg2+ in aqueous system. Talanta. 2014; 118:111-17. https:// doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2013.10.012 PMid:24274277
- Mohammadi S, Pourseyedi S, Amini A. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles with a long lasting stability using colloidal solution of cowpea seeds (Vigna sp. L). Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering. 2016; 4(2):2023-32.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2016.03.026
- Karim AA, Nadiha MZ, Chen FK, Phuah YP, Chui YM, Fazilah A. Pasting and retrogradation properties of alkalitreated sago (Metroxylon sagu) starch. Food Hydrocolloids.2008; 22(6):1044-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2007.05.011
- Abd-Aziz S. Sago starch and its utilisation. Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering. 2002; 94(6):526-29. https:// doi.org/10.1016/S1389-1723(02)80190-6
- FluidChe 2017 Available from: http://fluidsche.ump.edu.my/index.php/en/
- The Center of Excellence for Advanced Research in Fluid Flow (CARIFF) Available from: http://cariff.ump.edu.my/
- Natural resources products prospects - International Conference on Fluids and Chemical Engineering FluidsChE2017 Malaysia, ). Indian Journal of science and technology.2017; S2(1).
- University Malaysia Pahang. Available from: www.ump.edu.my
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.