Total views : 21
Overview of Simulation in Wood Plastic Composites Manufacturing
Objectives: This paper presents a review on the application of simulation software as a tool aiding in design and manufacturing aspect of wood plastic composites (WPCs). The scope of application of models present in literature by previous researchers is discussed in general. Methods/Statistical Analysis: A review on the simulation in wood plastic composites manufactured by compression moulding process is presented by analyzing the data present in literature. Important factors which affect the mechanical properties of final wood plastic composite products are stated. This paper also addresses the challenges of application of simulation models for prediction of mechanical properties of wood plastic composites by other researchers. Findings: Simulation models related to wood based composites are discussed and their applicability for wood plastic composites is reported. A need of simulation software for WPC prediction purpose and easy to use by other researchers is highlighted. Application/Improvements: Importance of collaborative efforts between material researchers and computer science researchers is also highlighted to fulfill the need of the simulation software in wood plastic composite area.
Compression Moulding, Manufacturing Process, Simulation, Wood Plastic Composites.
- Leaversuch RD, ToensmeierPA, Thomas N. Modern plastics in the year 2000. Concise Encyclopedia of Plastics; 2000. p. 19–9. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1007/9781-4615-4579-8_6
- Markets and Markets. Wood Plastic Composite market worth 5.84 Billion USD by 2021. Available from: http:// www.marketsandmarkets.com/PressReleases/wood-plasticcomposite.asp
- Zion Research analyses. Global wood-plastic composites market set for rapid growth, to reach around USD 6.0 billion by 2020. Market Research Store. Available from: http:// www.marketresearchstore.com/news/global-wood-plasticcompositesmarket-set-for-rapid-101
- Migneault S, Koubaa A, Erchiqui F, Chaala A, Englund K, Wolcott MP. Application of micromechanical models to tensile properties of wood–plastic composites. WoodScience and Technology. 2011; 45(3):521–32. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00226-010-0351-5
- Leu S-Y, Yang T-H, Lo S-F, Yang T-H. Optimized material composition to improve the physical and mechanical properties of extruded Wood–Plastic Composites (WPCs). Construction and Building Materials. 2012; 29:120–7. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2011.09.013
- Zhang S-Y, Fei B-H, Yu Y, Cheng H-T, Wang C-G. Effect of the amount of lignin on tensile properties of single wood fibers. Forest Science and Practice. 2013; 15(1):56–60.
- Gupta A. Modelling and optimisation of MDF hot pressing [PhD thesis]. Christchurch, New Zealand: University of Canterbury; 2007. p. 1–196.
- Shu J, Watson LT, Zombori BG, Kamke FA. WBC Sim: An environment for modeling wood-based composites manufacture. Engineering with Computers. 2006; 21:259. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00366-006-0010-5
- Yan L, Chouw N, Yuan X. Improving the mechanical properties of natural fiber fabric reinforced epoxy composites by alkali treatment. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites. 2012; 31(6):425–37. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1177/0731684412439494
- Behzad T, SainM. Finite element modeling of polymer curing in natural fiber reinforced composites. Composite Science and Technology. 2007; 67(7-8):1666–73. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2006.06.021
- Gupta A, Jordan P, Pang S. Modelling of the development of the vertical density profile of MDF during hot pressing. Chemical Product and Process Modeling. 2007; 2(2):1934– 2659. Available from: https://doi.org/10.2202/19342659.1075
- Klyosov AA. Wood-plastic composites. Wiley; 2007. p. 1–175. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1002/9780470165935.ins
- Karmarkar A, Chauhan SS, Modak JM, Chanda M. Mechanical properties of wood–fiber reinforced polypropylene composites: Effect of a novel compatibilizer with isocyanate functional group. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing. 2007; 38(2):227–33. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2006.05.005
- Bibo GA, Hogg PJ. The role of reinforcement architecture on impact damage mechanisms and post-impact compression behavior. Journal of Material Science. 1996; 31(5):1115–37. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00353091
- Kim J-P, Yoon T-H, Mun S-P, Rhee J-M, Lee J-S. Wood– polyethylene composites using ethylene-vinyl alcohol copolymer as adhesion promoter. Bioresource Technology. 2006; 97(3):494–9. PMid:15882942. Available from: https:// doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2005.02.048
- Jafaar F, Joe. How fibre orientation and configuration contribute to composite performance? Available from: http:// www.fibre-reinforced-plastic.com/2009/11/how-fibre-orientationand-configuration.html
- Hossain M, Steinmann P. Modelling and simulation of the curing process of polymers by a modified formulation of the Arruda–Boyce model. Archives of Mechanics. 2011; 63(5-6):621–33.
- Carvalho LMH, Costa MRN, Costa CAV. Modeling rheology in the hot-pressing of MDF: Comparison of mechanical models. Wood and Fiber Science. 2007; 33(3):395–411.
- Pickett AK. Review of finite element simulation methods applied to manufacturing and failure prediction in composites structures. Applied Composite Materials. 2002; 9(1):43–58. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1012667427575
- Gupta R, Sulaiman N, Gupta A, Beg Mohammad D. WPC Soft: Prototype simulation software to predict the internal changes during hot pressing of wood plastic composites. Chemical Product and Process Modeling. 2014 Jun; 9(1):45–57. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1515/cppm2013-0019
- Kamal BA. Development of wood flour-recycled polymer composite panels as building materials. UC Research Repository; 2008. p. 1–212.
- Behzad T, Sain M. Cure simulation of hemp fiber acrylic based composites during sheet molding process. Polymer and Polymer Composites. 2005; 13(3):235–44.
- Rouison D, Sain M, Couturier M. Resin transfer molding of natural fiber reinforced composites: Cure simulation. Composites Science and Technology. 2004; 64:629–44. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2003.06.001
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.