Total views : 47
Membrane Surface with Dimples in Vacuum Membrane Distillation
Objectives: This work presents a study of the effect of membrane surface with dimples on the heat transfer in vacuum membrane distillation (VMD). Methods/Statistical Analysis: Polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) membrane and distilled water as feed solutions are tested in a laboratory-scale cross-flow flat-sheet membrane module with membrane area of 72.4 cm2. A perforated aluminum support embedded in the permeate compartment is used to support the membrane during the VMD process. Findings: The results show that the dimples stamped on the membrane surface by the perforated support having the diameter and depth approximately 5 and 1 mm, respectively. The permeability of the membrane with dimples increases by 3 - 20% at the corresponding feed temperature of 75 - 95°C. The deviations between the heat transfer coefficients predicted by a Nusselt correlation with dimpled effect and the experimental values are less than 10%. Application/Improvements: These findings are significant to reveal the influence of membrane deformation effect on the heat transfer correlation which is used to predict the VMD flux.
Dimpled Surface, Heat Transfer, Perforated Permeate Support, Vacuum Membrane Distillation.
- Chiam CK, Sarbatly R. Vacuum membrane distillation processes for aqueous solution treatment – A review. Chemical Engineering and Processing. 2013 Dec;74:.27–54.
- Khayet M. Membranes and theoretical modelling of membrane distillation: A review. Advances in Colloid and Interface Science. 2011 May;163(1-2):56–88. Crossref PMid:21067710
- Barragán VM, Pastuschuk E. Viscoelastic deformation of sulfonated polymeric cation-exchange membranes exposed to a pressure gradient. Materials Chemistry and Physics. 2014 Jul; 146 (1-2):65–72. Crossref
- Ladner DA, Subramani A, Kumar M, Adham SS, Clark MM. Bench-scale evaluation of seawater desalination by reverse osmosis. Desalination. 2010 Jan; 250 (2):490–99. Crossref
- Xu Y, Peng X, Tang CY, Fu QS, Nie S. Effect of draw solution concentration and operating conditions on forward osmosis and pressure retarded osmosis performance in a spiral wound module. Journal of Membrane Science. 2010 Feb; 348 (1-2):298–309. Crossref
- Chiam CK, Sarbatly R. Heat transfer in the rectangular cross-flow flat-sheet membrane module for vacuum membrane distillation. Chemical Engineering and Processing. 2014;79:23–33. Crossref
- Qi B, Li B, Wang S. Investigation of shell side heat transfer in cross-flow designed vacuum membrane distillation module. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research. 2012;51(35): 11463–72. Crossref
- Mengual JI, Li B, Wang S. Heat and mass transfer in vacuum membrane distillation. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2012;47(4):11463–72.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.