Total views : 175
Improving Performance of Distributed Shared Memory (DSM) on Multiprocessor Framework with Software Approach
Objectives: To design Distributed Shared Memory (DSM) for the multiprocessor distributed framework using a different software parametric approach that provides significant performance improvement against convention software based architectures. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Software distributed shared memory can be architected by using a different concept of an operating system, by utilizing a programming library and by extending underlying virtual address space architecture. It incorporates various design options like granularity, consistency model, implementation level, data organization, algorithms, protocols, etc. We have proposed few software parameter choices and impact which gives significant performance improvement compared to past designs to manage software distributed shared memory. This paper also discusses various issues that exist while moving toward software distributed shared memory implementation. Findings: There are two methodologies by which it is possible to achieve distributed shared memory design are first in hardware like cache coherence circuits and network interfaces and the second is software. Here the proposed system architecture makes major impact on programming, performance, design and cost. An algorithm is designed such a unique manner which resides in memory controller and make efficient global virtual memories. It is using variable as granularity which are shared that is more flexible for complex data structure and large database. It is defined using unique identifier which makes its mapping and retrieval more manageable using proposed consistency mechanism. Application/Improvements: Distributed shared memory optimization is a most important area of improving distributed system performance. By taking care of good choice on underlying issues and according to system’s design requirement, it possible to gain advantages of improved architecture which can be more used for various distributed applications where shared data plays a major role.
Distributed Shared Memory, Distributed Systems, Granularity, Interprocess Communication, Virtual Address Space
- Sinha KP. Distributed Operating Systems Concepts and Design; 2009. p. 1–90.
- Vasava HD, Rathod JM. A Survey of Software based Distributed Shared Memory implementation methodologies for Multiprocessor Environments. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science Engineering and Technology. 2013 Jul; 2(7):3055–60.
- Tanenbaum SA, Steen MV. Distributed Systems Principles and Paradigms. 2nd Edition. PHI Learning; 2011. p. 1–705.
- Naeem A, Jantsch A, Lu Z. Scalability analysis of memory consistency models in NoC based distributed shared memory SoCs. IEEE transaction on computer aided design of integrated circuits and systems. 2013 May; 32(5):760–73.
- Jin X, Guan N, Lv M, Deng Q. Improving the Performance of Shared Memory Communication in Impulse C. IEEE Embedded Systems LETTERS. 2010 Sep; 2(3):49–52.Crossref
- Choi I, Zhao M, Yang X, Yeung D. Experience with Improving Distributed Shared Cache Performance on Tileras Tile Processor IEEE Computer Architecture. 2011 Dec; 10(2):45–8.
- Ibrahim KZ, Hofmeyr S, Lancu C. The Case for Partitioning Virtual Machines on Multicore Architectures. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. 2014 Oct; 25(10):2683–96. Crossref
- Yu Z, Xiao R, You K. A 16-Core Processor with Shared Memory and Message-Passing Communications. 2014 Apr; 61(4):1081–94.
- Vasava HD, Rathod JM. Software based Distributed Shared Memory (DSM) model using shared variables between Multiprocessors. In Proceeding of IEEE International Conference on Communication and Signal Processing; 2015. p. 1431–5. Crossref
- Gopal B, Beg R, Kumar P. Memory Management Techniques for Paging on Distributed Shared Memory Framework.
- International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technology. 2010 Apr; 2(2):141–53. Crossref 11. Dhruv S, Mehta, Iye VS. Study and Implementation of Distributed Shared Memory. NIT: Nagpur; 2004-2005.
- Seidmann T. Distributed Shared Memory in Modern Operating Systems. University of Technology in Bratislava; 2004.
- Kshemkalyani A, Singhal M. Distributed Computing: Principles Algorithms and Systems. Cambridge University Press; 2011 Mar. p. 1–756.
- Penurkar MK, Sugandhi R. OPDSM: A Combinational Page based and Object based DSM Model. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2010 Feb; 1(6):1–5. Crossref
- Castanie L, Mion C, Bruno L. Distributed Shared Memory for Roaming Large Volumes. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics. 2006 Oct; 12(5):1299–306. Crossref
- Navratil PA, Childs H, Fussell SD. Exploring the Spectrum of Dynamic Scheduling Algorithms for Scalable DistributedMemory Ray Tracing. Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics; 2013. p. 1–14. PMid:23831285
- Marongiu A, Benini L. An Open MP Compiler for Efficient Use of Distributed Scratchpad Memory in MPSoCs. IEEE Transactions on Computers. 2012 Feb; 61(2):222–36.Crossref
- Lee M, Ahn M, Kim EJ. Fast Secure Communications in Shared Memory Multiprocessor Systems. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. 2011 Oct; 22(10):1714–21. Crossref
- Krzyzanowski P. Distributed Shared Memory and Consistency Model. Rutgear University; 2009. p. 1–10.
- Dash A, Demsky B. Integrating Caching and Prefetching Mechanisms in a Distributed Transactional Memory. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. 2011 Aug; 22(8):1284–98. Crossref
- Shi Q, Khan O. Toward Holistic Soft-Error-Resilient Shared-Memory Multicores. IEEE Computer Society Press. Los Alamitos, USA. 2013 Oct; 46(10):56–64. Crossref
- Tumeo A, Villa O, Chavarria-miranda DG. Aho-corasick stirng matching on shared and distributed memory parallel architecture. IEEE Transaction on Parallel and Distributed Systems. 2012 Mar; 23(3):436–43. Crossref
- Apostolakis A, Gizopoulos D, Psarakis M, Pachalis A. Software based Self Testing of Symetric Shared Memory Multiprocessors. IEEE Transactions on Computers. 2009 Dec; 58(12):1682–94. Crossref
- Diaz J, Caro CM, Nino A. A Survey of Parallel Programming Models and Tools in the Multi and Many-Core Era. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Dist Systems. 2012 Aug; 23(8):1369–86. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.