Total views : 92
Energy Efficient Utilization in IEEE 802.15.4 based WDSN with Grid Structured Clusters using Adaptive Clustering Technique and EA-STR
Background/Objectives: The foremost requisite in the IEEE 802.15.4 based WDSN is to utilize the energy efficiently among the mobile sensor nodes since they are limited in their battery resource. Methods/Statistical Analysis: In order to utilize the energy effectively, the nodes are organized as clusters (fixed or adaptive clusters). Hence in this paper, adaptive clustering technique is adapted for IEEE 802.15.4 based WDSN which enables the nodes to change their association with different clusters over time. This enhances the nodes independency besides the conservation of energy. It further utilizes EA-STR protocol for routing the information from the member node to the cluster head. Findings: In the proposed technique, the clusters in the IEEE 802.15.4 based WDSN are organized in the structure of the grid and the nodes utilize the column mobility model to create mobile scenario. Further, the proposed methodology is analyzed through performance metrics such as average residual energy, Packet Delivery Ratio (PDR) and delay by varying the number of clusters from one to five, data rate from 50 kbps to 250 kbps and range from 45m to 125m. The simulation results portray that the proposed methodology with adaptive clustering and EA-STR achieves enhanced average residual energy, PDR and reduced delay thereby surpassing the performance of network with non- adaptive clustering and EA-STR. Improvements/Applications: In future, the proposed model can be extended by incorporating different deployment techniques and mobility models.
Adaptive Clustering Technique, Average Residual Energy, Delay, EA-STR, PDR, WDSN
- Akyildiz IF, Su W, Sankarasubramaniam Y, Cayirci E. Wireless sensor networks A survey. Computer Networks. 2002 Mar; 38(4):393–422. Crossref
- Chen M, Gonzalez S, Vasilakos A, Cao H, Leung VC. Body area networks A survey. Mobile Networks and Applications. MA, USA: Kluwer Academic Publishers Hingham. 2011 Apr; 16(2):171–93.
- Nasir HJA, Ku-Mahamud KR. Wireless Sensor Network A Bibliographical Survey. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(38):1–21.
- Rani S, Kamboj A. Enhanced Cluster Based Routing in WSN. International Journal of Computer Science and Management Studies. 2015 Jul; 16(1):5–8.
- Al-Karaki JN, Kamal AE. Routing techniques in wireless sensor networks A survey. IEEE Wireless Communication.2004 Dec; 11(6):6–28. Crossref
- Li C, Zhang HX, Hao BB, Li J. A survey on routing protocols for large-scale wireless sensor networks. Sensors.2011 Mar; 11(4):3498–526. Crossref PMid:22163808 PMCid:PMC3231341
- Schurgers C, Srivastava MB. Energy Efficient Routing in Wireless Sensor Networks. Proceedings of Military Communications Conference on Communications for Network-Centric Operations Creating the Information Force; McLean, VA, USA; 2001. p. 357–61. Crossref
- Arce J, Lazaro O, Pajares A. Performance evaluation of video streaming over Ad hoc networks of sensors using FLAT and hierarchical routing protocols. Mobile Networks and Applications. 2008 Aug; 13(3):324–36.
- Bulusu N, Estrin D, Heidemann J. GPS-less Low Cost Outdoor Localization for Very Small Devices. Technical Report 00-729 Computer science Department. University of Southern California. 2000 Oct; 7(5):28–34.
- Savvides A, Han CC, Srivastava AM. Dynamic fine-grained localization in Ad-Hoc networks of sensors. Proceedings of the 7th ACM Annual International Conference on MobileComputing and Networking (MobiCom); Rome, Italy; 2001. p. 166–79. Crossref
- Heinzelman WR, Chandrakasan A, Balakrishnan H.Energy-efficient communication protocol for wireless microsensor networks. Proceedings of the 33rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences; Maui, Hawaii. 2000; 2:1–10. Crossref
- Jothikumar, Venkataraman R. A Review of Hierarchical Routing Protocol for Wireless Sensor Network. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Aug; 9(32):1–10.Crossref
- Handy MJ, Haase M, Timmermann D. Low Energy Adaptive Clustering Hierarchy with Deterministic ClusterHead Selection. Proceedings of 4th International Workshop on Mobile and Wireless Communications Network; USA; 2002. p. 368–72. Crossref
- Kumar R, Singh G, Gaba GS. An Effective Approach for Minimizing Energy Consumption in WSN. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jun; 9(21):1–5. Crossref
- Kaur R, Sharma D, Kaur N. Comparative analysis of leach and its descendant protocols in wireless sensor network. International Journal of P2P Network. 2013; 3(1):51–5.
- Balakrishnan H, Chandrakasan A, Heinzelman WA. An application specific protocol architecture for wireless microsensor networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. 2002; 1(4):660–70. Crossref
- Javaid N, Mahmood D, Mahmood S, Memon AM, Qureshi S, Zaman T. MODLEACH a variant of LEACH for WSNs. Proceedings of 8th International conference on Broadband and Wireless Computing. Communication and Applications Compiegne; 2013. p. 158–63.
- Sindhwani N, Vaid R. V LEACH An Energy Efficient Communication Protocol for WSN. Mechanica Confab.2013 Feb-Mar; 2(2):79–84.
- Khediri SEL, Nasri N, Wei A, Kachouri A. A new Approach for Clustering in Wireless Sensor Networks Based on LEACH. Procedia Computer Science. 2014; 32:1180–5.Crossref
- Lindsey S, Raghavendra CS. PEGASIS Power-Efficient Gathering in Sensor Information Systems. Proceedings of IEEE Aerospace Conference; Big Sky, MT, USA. 2002; 3:1–7. Crossref
- Agrawal DP, Manjeshwar A. TEEN A Routing Protocol for Enhanced Efficiency in Wireless Sensor Networks. Proceedings of 15th International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium; USA; 2001. p. 2009–15.
- Sahu P, Gupta SR. Deployment Techniques in Wireless Sensor Networks. International Journal of Soft Computing and Engineering. 2012 Jul; 2(3):525–6.
- Chakeres ID, Berndt KL. AODVjr AODV Simplified. ACM SIGMOBILE Mobile Computing and Communication Review. 2002 Jul; 6(3):100–1. Crossref
- Khatiri A, Mirjalily G, Khademzadeh A. Energy- Efficient Shortcut Tree Routing in ZigBee Networks. Proceeding on 4th International Conference on Computational Intelligence. Communication Systems and Networks; 2012.p. 117–22.
- Brigitta RM, Samundiswary P. Efficient Energy Utilisation in Zigbee WDSN using Clustering protocol and RSSI Algorithm. International Journal of Computer Science and Information Security. 2016; 14:25–9.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.