Total views : 88
Assessments of Desirability Wear Behaviour on Al- Coconut Shell Ash - Metal Matrix Composite using Grey - Fuzzy Reasoning Grade
Objectives: To prepare Aluminium Metal matrix Composite (AMC) reinforced with Coconut Shell Ash (CSA) via compo casting route by 5, 10 and 15 % percentage of volumes. Afterward, the tribological behaviour of Al-CSA composite has been determined. Methods/Statistical Analysis: To known the better optimal condition for tribological performance of composite, the input parameters are considered as load, percentage of CSA, sliding distance and sliding velocity whereas output responses are wear, specific wear rate and Coefficient of Friction (COF). Experiments were designed based on Taguchi [L16] orthogonal array and conducted on pin-on-disc setup. The multi-responses were altered into a single-response using Desirability Hunctional Analysis (DFA), Grey Relational Grade (GRG), and Fuzzy Interface System (FIS). Findings: The composite hardness and tensile strength is increased with increasing % of CSA. Similarly, density and elongation decreased. The Grey-Fuzzy Reasoning Grade (GFRG) used for optimization of response with decrease the uncertainty in decision making. The tribological performances of characteristics are improved using grey-fuzzy relation. Analysis of variance (ANOVA) of GFRG results specify load is the most influencing parameter followed by percentage of CSA, sliding velocity and sliding distance. The initial parameter of the DFA, GRG and GRFG is 0.348, 0.736 and 0.816 through optimal conditional values of the dfa, grg and gfrg are 0.854, 0.806 and 0.864 respectively. So, it states that GFRG in wear behavioral parameters of csap composites has greater improve by using Grey-Fuzzy Reasoning Approach (GFRA). The achieved optimal condition is l1r2d2v2 (i.e. Load (10n), % of CSA (15), sliding distance (2000m) and velocity (2m/s). Finally, confirmation test is conducted to validate the regression equation and the worn-out surface is examined by Scanning Electron Microscopic (SEM). Application/Improvements: The Al-CSA composite properties are enhanced with increasing of volume of CSA. From the Overall approaches Grey - Fuzzy Reasoning Grade (GFRG) is obtained less error (0.015) than the others.
Coconut Shell Ash, Coefficient of Friction, Desirability, Grey – Fuzzy Reasoning Grade, Specific Wear Rate, Wear.
- Surappa MK. Aluminium matrix composites Challenges and opportunities. Sadhana. 2003 Feb; 28(1):319–34. Crossref
- Prasad S V, Asthana R. Aluminum metal – matrix composites for automotive applications tribological considerations. Tribology Letters. 2004 Oct; 17(3):445–53. Crossref
- Miracle DB. Metal matrix composites – From science to technological significance. Composites Science Technology. 2005 Dec; 65(15-16):2526–40. Crossref
- Rodopoulos CA. Metal Matrix Composites. In Advanced Materials by Design; 2004. p. 99–117. Crossref
- Rohatgi PK. Metal-matrix Composites. Defence Science Journal.1993 Jul; 43(4):323–49. Crossref
- Ghosh S, Sahoo P, Sutradhar G. Tribological Performance Optimization of Al-7.5% SiCp Composites using the Taguchi Method and Grey Relational Analysis. Journal Composites; 2013.
- Laden K, Gu JD, Watremez M, Bricout JP. Frictional characteristics of Al – SiC composite brake discs. Tribology Letters. 2000 May; 8(4):237–47. Crossref
- Pech-Canul MI. Aluminum Alloys for Al/SiC Composites. In: Ahmad Z, edition. Recent Trends in Processing and Degradation of Aluminum Alloys; 2011. p. 299–314.
- Sahin Y. The prediction of wear resistance model for the metal matrix composites. Wear. 2005 Jun; 258(11-12):1717–22. Crossref
- Venkata Siva SB, Sahoo KL, Ganguly RI, et al. Preparation of Aluminum Metal Matrix Composite with Novel In situ Ceramic Composite Particulates, Developed from Waste Colliery Shale Material. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B. 2013 Aug; 44(4):800–8. Crossref
- Kok M, Ozdin K. Wear resistance of aluminium alloy and its composites reinforced by Al2O3 particles. Journal of Materials Process Technology. 2007 Mar; 183(2-3):301–9. Crossref
- Hemanth Kumar TR, Swamy RP, Chandrashekar TK. Taguchi Technique for the Simultaneous Optimization of Tribological Parameters in Metal Matrix Composite. JMMCE. 2011 Oct; 10(12):1179–88. Crossref
- Veeresh Kumar GB, Rao CSP, Selvaraj N. Mechanical and Tribological Behavior of Particulate Reinforced Aluminum Metal Matrix Composites – a review. Journal of Minerals & Materials Characterization & Engineering. 2011; 10(1):59–91. Crossref
- Gopalakrishnan S, Murugan N. Prediction of tensile strength of friction stir welded aluminium matrix TiCp particulate reinforced composite. Material Design. 2011 Jan; 32(1):462–7. Crossref
- Senthilkumar N, Tamizharasan T, Anandakrishnan V. Experimental investigation and performance analysis of cemented carbide inserts of different geometries using Taguchi based grey relational analysis. MEASUREMENT. 2014 Dec; 58: 520–36. Crossref
- unlu BS. Investigation of tribological and mechanical properties Al2O3 – SiC reinforced Al composites manufactured by casting or P/M method. Material Design. 2008; 29:2002–8.Crossref
- Altinkok N, ozsert I, Findik F. Dry Sliding Wear Behavior of Al2O3 / SiC Particle Reinforced Aluminium Based MMCs Fabricated by Stir Casting Method. ACTA Physica Polonica A. 2013 Jul; 124(1):11–9. Crossref
- Venkata Siva SB, Ganguly RI, Srinivasa Rao G, Sahoo KL. Wear behaviour of novel Al based composite reinforced with ceramic composite (Al2O3 –SiC–C) developed from colliery shale material. Tribolody - Mater Surfaces Interfaces. 2014; 8(3):117–24.
- Shanmughasundaram P, Subramanian R. Influence of graphite and machining parameters on the surface roughness of Al-fly ash / graphite hybrid composite a Taguchi approach. Journal ofm Mechanical Science Technology. 2013 Aug; 27(8):2445–55.
- Akhlaghi F, Zare-Bidaki A. Influence of graphite content on the dry sliding and oil impregnated sliding wear behavior of Al 2024 – graphite composites produced by in situ powder metallurgy method. Wear. 2009; 266(1-2):37–45. Crossref
- Suresha S, Sridhara BK. Effect of silicon carbide particulates on wear resistance of graphitic aluminium matrix composites. Material Design. 2010; 31(9):4470–7. Crossref
- Rajan TPD, Pillai RM, Pai BC, Satyanarayana KG, Rohatgi PK. Fabrication and characterisation of Al – 7Si –0.35Mg / fly ash metal matrix composites processed by different stir casting routes. Composite Science and Technolody. 2007 Dec; 67(15-16):3369–77. Crossref
- Sudarshan, Surappa MK. Dry sliding wear of fly ash particle reinforced A356 Al composites. Wear. 2008 Jul; 265(34):349–60. Crossref
- Govindarao R, Ganguly RI, Dash RR, Surya Prakash Rao P, Reddy GS, Singh SK. Development of a Novel Aluminium Based Metal Matrix Composite using Insitu Ternary Mixture (Al2O3 -SiC-C) Prepared by Thermal Treatment of Fly-ash. 2015; 68(5):951–8.
- Babu Rao J, Venkata Rao D, Siva Prasad K, Bhargava NRMR. Dry sliding wear behaviour of fly ash particles reinforced AA 2024 composites. Material Science. 2012; 30(3):204–11. Crosserf
- Prasad N, Sutar H, Mishra SC, Sahoo SK, Acharya SK. Dry Sliding Wear Behavior of Aluminium Matrix Composite Using Red Mud an Industrial Waste. International Research Journal of Pure & Applied Chemistry. 2013; 3(1):59–74. Crossref
- Venkata Siva SB, Ganguly RI, Srinivasa Rao G, Sahoo KL. Quantitative studies on wear behavior of Al-(Al2O3-SiC-C) composite prepared with in situ ceramic composite developed from colliery waste. Journal of Engineering Tribology. 2015; 229(7):823–34. Crossref
- Alaneme KK, Akintunde IB, Olubambi PA, Adewale TM. Fabrication characteristics and mechanical behaviour of rice husk ash – Alumina reinforced Al-Mg-Si alloy matrix hybrid composites. Journal of Materials Research and Technology. 2013; 2(1):60–7. Crossref
- Siva prasad D, Shoba C. Hybrid composites – a better choice for high wear resistant materials. J Mater Res Technol. 2014; 3(2):172–8. Crossref
- Aku SY, Yawas DS, Apasi A. Evaluation of Cast Al-Si-Fe alloy / Coconut Shell Ash Particulate Composites. Gazi University Journal of Science. 2013; 26(3):449–57.
- Murali TP, Surappa MK, Rohatgi PK. Preparation and properties of Al-alloy coconut shell char particulate composites. Metallurgical Transactions B. 1982 Sep; 13(3):485–94. Crossref
- Siva Sankar Raju R, Srinivasa Rao G, Muralidhara rao M. Optimization of Machinability Properties on Aluminium Metal Matrix Composite Prepared By In- Situ Ceramic Mixture Using Coconut Shell Ash - Taguchi Approach. International Journal of Conceptions on Mechanical and Civil Engineering. 2015; 3(2):17–21.
- Aigbodion VS, Hassan SB, Dauda ET, Mohammed RA. Experimental Study of Ageing Behaviour of Al-Cu-Mg / Bagasse Ash Particulate Composites. Tribology in industry. 2011; 33(1):28–35.
- Madhusudan S, Sarcar MMM, Bhargava NRMR. Sliding Wear Studies on Aluminium – Copper Composites. Compos Interfaces. 2011; 18(5):377–85. Crossref
- Baradeswaran A, Vettivel SC, Elaya Perumal A, Selvakumar N, Franklin Issac R. Experimental investigation on mechanical behaviour, modelling and optimization of wear parameters of B4C and graphite reinforced aluminium hybrid composites. Material Design. 2014; 63:620–32. Crossref
- Siriyala R, Alluru G krishna, Penmetsa R, Duraiselvam M. Application of grey-taguchi method for optimization of dry sliding wear properties of aluminum MMCs. Frontiers of Mechanical Engineering. 2012; 7(3):279–87. Crossref
- Mukhopadhyay A, Duari S, Barman TK, Sahoo P. Tribological Performance Optimization of Electroless Ni–B Coating under Lubricated Condition using Hybrid Grey Fuzzy Logic. Journal of The Institution of Engineers. 2016 Oct; 97(2):215–31. Crossref
- Panda B, Mahato AK, Varun C, R SSR. Wear Behavior of Aluminum Based Composite Reinforced With Coconut Shell Ash. Imperial Journal of Interdisciplinary Research. 2016; 2(5):890–5.
- PHADKE MS. Quality Engineering Using Robust Design. AT & T Bell Laboratories,Holmdel, New Jersey: P T R Prentice Hall Englewood Cliffs New Jersey. 1989; 1:1– 327.
- Taguchi G. Introduction to quality engineering designing quality into products and processes. In: Vol. 4. 2nd ed. Tokyo: Asian Productivity Organization. 1986;191. Crossref. Date Accessed 25/2/2016.
- Rajmohan T, Palanikumar K, Prakash S. Grey-fuzzy algorithm to optimise machining parameters in drilling of hybrid metal matrix composites. Composites Part B. 2013; 50:297–308. Crossref
- Julong D. Introduction to Grey System Theory. J Grey System theory. 1989; 1:1–24.
- Ross TJ. Fuzzy Logic with Engineering Applications. 2nd ed. John Wiley & Sons; 2004.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.