Total views : 158
A Low Temperature Synthesis and Optical Characterization of Mn-Ni Mixed Nanoferrites
Objectives: The presented work investigates the optical properties of Mn-Ni mixed nanoferrites prepared by a low temperature synthesis method. Methods: A series of manganese nickel (Mn-Ni) mixed spinel nanoferrites having chemical formula Mn1-xNixFe2O4 (x = 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5) have been synthesized by a simple chemical co-precipitation method. The spinel phase formation of the prepared nanoferrites was confirmed using x-ray diffraction (XRD). Optical properties were investigated using UV-visible absorption spectroscopy recorded in the range 200 to 900 nm. Using the absorption spectra and Tauc's relation, the band gap was estimated. Findings: The prepared nanoferrites possess narrow band gap. It was observed that concentration of nickel has profound effect on the optical band gap. A remarkable decrease in the optical band gap was observed with increasing nickel concentration revealing the tunability of the optical band gap by compositional variation of the nanoferrites. Application: The prepared magnetic nanoparticles owing to its large surface to volume ratio with tunable narrow band gap may find applications in photocatalysis, dye degradation, waste water treatment technology etc.
Low Temperature Synthesis, Nanoparticles, Optical Band Gap, Spinel Ferrites.
- Manikandan A, Vijaya JJ, Kennedy LJ, Bououdina M. Structural optical and magnetic properties of Zn1-xCuxFe2O4 nanoparticles prepared by microwave combustion method. Journal of Molecular Structure. 2013 Mar; 1035:332-40. Crossref
- Gopalan EV, Malini KA, Sagar S, Kumar DS, Yoshida Y, Al-Omari IA, Anantharaman MR. Mechanism of ac conduction in nanostructured manganese zinc mixed ferrite. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics. 2009 Jul; 42(16). Crossref
- Devi EC, Soibam I. Effect of Zn doping on the structural, electrical and magnetic properties of MnFe2O4 nanoparticles. Indian Journal of Physics. 2017 Mar; p. 1-7. Crossref
- Doaga A, Cojocariu AM, Amin W, Heib F, Bender P, Hempelmann R, Caltun OF. Synthesis and characterizations of manganese ferrites for hyperthermia applications. Materials Chemistry and Physics. 2013 Dec; 143(1):305-10. Crossref
- Sahoo B, DeviK SP, Dutta S, Maiti TK, Pramani KP, Dhara D. Biocompatible mesoporous silica coated superparamagnetic manganese ferrite nanoparticles for targeted drug delivery and MR imaging applications. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 2014 Oct; 431:31-41. Crossref PMid:24980623
- Ali IO, Mostafa AG. Photocatalytic reduction of chromate oxyanions on MMnFe2O4 (M=Zn, Cd) nanoparticles. Material Science in Semiconductor Processing. 2015 May; 33:189-98. Crossref
- Zhao X, Wang W, Zhang Y, Wu S, Li F, Liu JP. Synthesis and characterization of gadolinium doped cobalt ferrite nanoparticles with enhanced adsorption capability for congo red. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2014 Aug; 250:16474. Crossref
- Gosh PK, Ahmed SF, Jana S, Chattopadhyay KK. Photoluminescence and field emission properties of ZnS:Mn nanoparticles synthesized by rf-magnetron sputtering technique. Optical Materials. 2007; 29(12):1584-90. Crossref
- Manikandan A, Vijaya JJ, Sundarajan M, Meganathan C, Kennedy LJ, Bououdina M. Optical and magnetic properties of Mg-doped ZnFe2O4 nanoparticles prepared by rapid microwave combustion method. Supperlattices and Microstructures. 2013 Dec; 64:118-31. Crossref
- Devi EC, Soibam I. Structural and electrical studies of MnNi mixed nanoferrites (In press). International Journal of Nanoparticles.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.