Total views : 4
The Growth of Carbon Nanotubes via Chemical Vapor Deposition Method; its Purification and Functionalization
Objectives: The main motive behind proposed work is to enhance the solubility of CNTs in aqueous medium and in various other solvents. Purification and functionalization helped in accomplishing aforementioned task. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Initially, CNTs were grown by Chemical Vapor Deposition method. Nickel metal catalyst solution was prepared and loaded onto SiO2 wafer, which is kept in vacuum assisted quartz tube. Acetylene was used as a hydrocarbon source and at 750 oC it decomposes at nickel metal surface resulting in growth of Carbon Nanotubes. Several characterizations such as SEM, EDX, XRD and FTIR were performed for confirmation of CVD grown CNTs. SEM confirms the formation of tubular structure i.e. carbon nanotube and EDX illustrates the presence of carbon and metal catalytic impurities. Findings: Such impurities restrict their use in physical, chemical, biological and environmental systems, thus purification is required. Among all purification methods, acid treatment suits best for removal of metallic impurities. An acid mixture of H2SO4 and HNO3 in ratio of 3:1 was utilized to remove the impurities present. These acid purified CNTs now contain carboxylic acid groups attached over defects, sidewalls and at ends. However another major shortcoming of CNTs is their insolubility in various liquids and polymers. Improvements: Therefore, to improve the solubility and to allow bonding with polymer matrix, amide functionalization was carried out. By the effect of thionyl chloride, the -OH bond was replaced by –Cl group, which was further replaced by -NH moiety. Characterizations were carried out at each step of CNT processing. Moreover, these functionalized CNTs encourages us to extend the present work to quantify the effect of as grown and f-CNT on the average static and dynamic mechanical properties of CNT/epoxy nanocomposites in future.
Carbon Nanotube, Chemical Vapor Deposition, Functionalization, Growth, Purification
- Iijima S. Helical microtubules of graphitic carbon. Nature.1991 Nov; 354:56–8. Crossref.
- Wang X, Li Q, Xie J, Jin Z, Wang J, Li Y, Jiang K, Fan S.Fabrication of ultra long and electrically uniform singlewalled carbon nanotubes on clean substrates. Nano Letters.2009 Sep; 9(9):3137–41. Crossref. PMid:19650638
- Wilder JWG, Venema LC, Rinzler AG, Smalley RE, Dekker C. Electronic structure of atomically resolved carbon nanotubes.Nature. 1998 Jan; 391(I):59–62. Crossref.
- Dresselhaus MS, Dresselhaus G, Jorio A. Unusual properties and structure of carbon nanotubes. Annual Review of Material Research. 2004 Aug; 34:247–78. Crossref.
- (a). Yu MF, Lourie O, Dyer MJ, Moloni K, Kelly TF, Ruoff RS. Strength and breaking mechanism of multi-walled carbon nanotubes under Tensile Load. Science. 2000 Jan; 287:637– 40. Crossref. PMid:10649994
- (b). Popov M, Kyotani M, Nemanich R, Koga Y. Superhard phase composed of single-wall carbon nanotubes. Physical Review B. 2002 Jan; 65(3):0334081–4. Crossref.
- (c). Hong S, Myung S. Nanotube Electronics: A flexible approach to mobility. Nature Nanotechnology. 2007 Apr; 2:207–8. Crossref.PMid:18654263
- (d). Thostenson E, Li C, Chou T. Nanocomposites in context.Composites Science and Technology. 2005 Mar; 65:491– 516. Crossref.
- (a). Eatermadi A, Daraee H, Karimkhanloo H, Kouhi M, Zarghami N, Akbarzadeh A, Abasi M, Hanifehpour Y, Joo SW. Carbon nanotubes: Properties synthesis purification and medical applications. Nanoscale Research Letters. 2014 Aug; 9(1):393–405. PMid:25170330 PMCid:PMC4141964
- (b). Guo T, Nikolaev P, Thess A, Colbert D, Smalley R. Catalytic growth of single-walled nanotubes by laser vaporization.Chemical Physics Letters. 1995 Jun; 243:49–54. Crossref.
- Inami N, Mohamed MA, Shikoh E, Fujiwara A. Synthesiscondition dependence of carbon nanotube growth byalcohol catalytic chemical vapor deposition method.Science and Technology of Advanced Materials. 2007 Feb; 8(4):92–5. Crossref.
- (a). Aguiar MR, Verissimo C, Ramos AC, Moshkalev SA, Swart JW. Synthesis of Carbon Nanotubes and Nanofibers by thermal CVD on SiO2 and Al2O3 support layers. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. 2009 Jul; 9(7):4143–50.Crossref.PMid:19916421
- (b). Harutyunyan AR. The catalyst for growing single-walled carbon nanotubes by catalytic chemical vapor deposition method. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. 2009 Apr; 9(4):2480–95. Crossref. PMid:19437993
- Hofmann S, Blume R, Wirth CT, Cantoro M, Sharma R, Ducati C, Havecker M, Zafeiratos S, Schnoerch P, Oesterich A, Teschner D, Albrecht M, Gericke AK, Schlogl R, Robertson J. State of transition metal catalysts during carbon nanotube growth. Journal of Physical Chemistry C.2009 Jan; 113(5):1648–56. Crossref.
- Saheed MSM, Mohamed NM, Burhanudin ZA. Effect of different catalyst deposition technique on aligned multiwalled carbon nanotubes grown by thermal chemical vapor deposition.Journal of Nanomaterials. 2014 Apr; 2014:1–11.
- Jourdain V, Bichara C. Current understanding of the growth of carbon nanotubes in catalytic chemical vapor deposition.Carbon. 2013 Jul; 58:2–39. Crossref.
- Kumar M, Ando Y. Chemical Vapor deposition of carbon nanotubes: A review on growth mechanism and mass production.Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. 2010 Jun; 10(6):3739–58. Crossref.PMid:20355365
- Kumar M. Carbon Nanotube Synthesis and Growth Mechanism. In: Carbon Nanotubes- Synthesis
- Characterization Applications. Siva Yellampalli (ed.).In: Tech Publ: Croatia; 2011. p. 147–70. Crossref.
- Hou PX, Liu C, Cheng HM. Purification of carbon nanotubes.Carbon. 2008 Dec; 46(15):2003–25. Crossref.
- Furtado CA, Kim UJ, Gutierrez HR, Pan L, Dickey EC, Eklund PC. Debundling and dissolution of single walled carbon nanotubes in amide solvents. Journal of American Chemical Society. 2004 May; 126(19):6095–105. Crossref.PMid:15137775
- Datsyuk V, Kalyva M, Papagelis K, Parthenios J, Tasis D, Siokou A, Kallitsis I, Galiotis C. Chemical oxidation of multiwalled carbon nanotubes. Carbon. 2008 Feb; 46(6):833–40. Crossref.
- Wu HQ, Wei XW, Shao MW, Gu JS. Synthesis of zinc oxide nanorods using carbon nanotubes as templates. Journal of Crystal Growth. 2004 Jan; 265(1-2):184–9. Crossref.
- Baker RTK, Harris PS, Thomas RB, Waite RJ. Formation of filamentous carbon from iron cobalt and chromium catalyzed decomposition of acetylene. Journal of Catalysis.1973 Jul; 30(1):86–95. Crossref.
- Hua Z, Liu Y, Yao G, Wang L, Ma J, Liang L. Preparation and Characterization of Nickel coated carbon Fibers by Electroplating. Journal of Material Engineering and Performance. 2012 Mar; 21(3):324–30. Crossref.
- Porro S, Musso S, Vinante M, Vanzetti L, Anderl M, Trotta F, Tagliaferro A. Purification of Carbon nanotubes by thermal CVD. Physica E. Low dimensional systems and nanostructures. 2007 Mar; 37(1-2):58–61. Crossref.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.