Total views : 49
Behavior of Pile Raft Foundation in Organic Clay
The soils cover in the valley areas of Manipur are fluvial-alluvial soils with clay interspersed with organic clay forming the major portion of the substrata. Construction for rapid urbanization taking place in the valley area has historically been a problem due to the typically low strength and high compressibility. This paper gives the details of tests carried out on piled raft system of foundation embedded in clay soil. The effect of number of piles and the rigidity of raft on the response of load-settlement was studied. It is observed that higher number of piles and rigidity of raft act as settlement reducers.
Flexible and Rigid Raft, Organic Clay, Pile, Pile Raft, Raft
- Burland JB, Broms BB, de Mello VFB. Behaviour of foundations and structures. Proceedings of ICSMFE; Tokyo. 1977. p. 495–546.
- Cooke RW. Piled raft foundations on stiff clays: A contribution to design philosophy. Geotechnique. 1986; 36(2):169–203 Crossref
- Conte G, Mandolini A, Randolph MF. Centrifuge modeling to investigate the performance of piled rafts. Proceedings of the 4th International Seminar on Deep Foundations on Bored and Auger Piles; Rotterdam. 2003. p. 359–66
- Davis EH, Poulos HG. The analysis of piled raft systems. Aust Geomechs J. 1972; G2:21–7.
- Franke E. Measurements beneath piled rafts. Keynote Lecture, ENPC Conference; Paris. 1991. p. 1–28.
- Franke E, Lutz B, El-Mossallamy Y. Measurements and numerical modelling of high-rise building foundations on frankfurt clay. Geot Spec Pub 40, ASCE. 1994; 2:1325–36.
- Hansbo S. Interaction problems related to the installation of pile groups. Seminar on Deep Foundations on Bored and Auger Piles, BAP2; Ghent. 1993. p. 59–66.
- Hooper JA. Observations on the behavior of a piled raft foundation on London clay. Proceedings of Institute of Civil Engineers, Part 2; 1973. p. 855–77
- Horikoshi K, Randolph MF. Centrifuge modeling of piled raft foundation on clay. Geotechnique. 1996; 46(4):741–52.Crossref
- Lee SH, Chung CK. An experimental study of the interaction of vertically loaded pile groups in sand. Canadian Geotechnical Journal. 2005; 42(5):1485–93. Crossref
- Price G, Wardle IF. Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre: Monitoring of load sharing between piles and raft. Proceedings of Institute of Civil Engineers; 1986. p. 1505–18.
- Sommer H, Wittman P, Ripper P. Piled raft foundation of a tall building in Frankfurt Clay. International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering; San Francisco. 1985. p. 2253–7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.