Total views : 52
Optimization of Surface Roughness and Metal Removal Rate in End Milling using Taguchi Grey Relational Analysis
Objectives: The objective of the present work is to assess the effects of machining parameters in milling on surface roughness and metal removal rate of AISI H11 steel. It is used in the manufacturing industries for making die casting moulds, extrusion dies, moulds for glass industry, punches, piercing tools, mandrels etc. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The objective of the study was carried out by machining experiments which were conducted on CNC vertical milling machine whose maximum speed was 6000 RPM. Design of experiments based on Taguchi grey relational analysis with three independent factors (cutting speed, feed rate and depth of cut), three levels L27 orthogonal array has used to develop relationships for predicting surface roughness and metal removal rate. Findings: The surface roughness was measured using surface roughness tester (Mitutoyo surftest-4) and the averages were calculated to obtain the surface roughness of the samples. Metal removal rate was calculated using the formula in terms of width of cut, depth of cut and table feed rate. Improvements: Model significance tests were conducted using ANOVA table and effects of various parameters were investigated.
AISI H11, ANOVA, Metal Removal Rate, Surface Roughness
- Anjan KK, Chandrasekaran M, Mandal A, Singh AK.Prediction of optimum cutting parameters to obtain desired surface in finish pass end milling of aluminium alloy with carbide tool using artificial neural network. World Academy of Science Engineering and Technology.2011; 57:751–7.
- Kolahan F, Gomezerji R, Moghaddam MA. Application of Taguchi method grey analysis and ANOVA in optimization of titanium alloys milling. 3rd International Conference on Manufacturing Engineering (ICME); Tehran, Iran; 2011.
- Lu HS, Chang CK, Hwang NC, Chung CT. Grey relational analysis coupled with principal component analysis for optimization design of the cutting parameters in high-speed end milling. Journal of Materials Processing Technology.2009; 209:3808–17. Crossref.
- Moshat S, Datta S, Bandyopadhyay A, Pal PK. Parametric optimization of CNC end milling using entropy measurement technique combined with grey-Taguchi method.International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology. 2010; 2(2):1–12. Crossref.
- Sreenivasulu R, Rao CS. Design of Experiments based Grey Relational Analysis in Various Machining Processes - A Review. Research Journal of Engineering Sciences. 2013; 2(1):21–6.
- Zain AM, Haron H, Sharif S. Application of GA to optimize cutting conditions for minimizing surface roughness in end milling machining process. Expert Systems with Applications. 2010; 37:4650–9. Crossref.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.