Total views : 40
Influence of Tool Pin Profile and Welding Parameters on Tensile Strength of Aluminium Alloy 5052 during FSW
The friction stir welding (FSW) is a solid state welding process. It uses non-consumable tool for joining plates with advantages such as low distortion, no shielding gas required and fine recrystallized microstructure. FSW parameters such as tool rotation, welding speed, tool geometry, axial force and tool plunge depth play an important role during welding. In the present work, FSW between the 6mm thick AA5052 aluminium alloy plates was investigated with the combination of two different tool pin profile (Taper Pin-Left Hand Threaded (LHT) and Square Pin) at welding speeds of 30mm/min and 40mm/min with tool rotation speed 850rpm and 1250 rpm. Tensile testing was carried out and comparative study was done to know the best parameter from the selected ones. Maximum tensile strength 378.12 N/mm2 was obtained with taper pin-LHT at welding speed 40mm/min with tool rotation 1250rpm.
Tensile Strength, Tool Pin Profile, AA5052, FSW
- Thomas WM, Nicholas ED, Needham JC, Murch MG, Templesmith P and Dawes CJ. 1991 Dec; G.B Patent 9125978.8.
- Ugender S, Kumar A, Somi Reddy A. Experimental investigation of tool geometry on mechanical properties offriction stir welding of AA 2014 Aluminium Alloy. Procedia Materials Science. 2014; 5:824-31. Crossref.
- Esparza JA, Davis WC, Trillo EA and Murr LE. Friction stir welding of magnesium alloy AZ31B. Journal of Materials Science Letters. 2002; 21:917-20. Crossref.
- Gurmeet Singh, Kulwant Singh, Jagtar Singh. Effect of Process Parameters on Microstructure and Mechanical Properties in Friction Stir Welding of Aluminum Alloy. Transaction of Indian Institute of Metals. 2011 October; 64(4-5):325-30.Crossref.
- Threadgill P. Terminology in friction stir welding. Science and Technology of Welding and Joining. 2007; 12:357-60.Crossref.
- Panneerselvam K, Lenin K. Investigation on effect of tool forces and joint defects during FSW polypropylene plate.International Conference on Modeling Optimization and Computing. 2012; 38:3927-40.
- Mohsen Bahrami, Mohammad Kazem Besharati Givi, Kamran Dehghani, Nader Parvin. On the role of pin geometry in microstructure and mechanical properties of AA7075/SiC nano-composite fabricated by friction stir welding technique. Materials and Design. 2014; 53:519-27. Crossref.
- ASTM E8/E8M. Standard Test Methods for Tension Testing of Metallic Materials. 2012; 1(C):1-27.
- Dinaharan I. Murugan N, Parameswaran S. Developing an emperical relationship to predict the influence of process parameters on tensile strength of friction welded AA6061/0-10wt% ZrB2 in situ composite. Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals. 2012; 62(2):159-70. Crossref.
- Simar A, Brechet Y, Meester B, de Denquin A, Gallais C, Pardoen T. Integrated modelling of friction stir welding of 6xx series Al alloys: process, microstructure and properties. Progress in Materials Science. 2012; 57:95-183. Crossref.
- Hassan Kh AA, Prangnell PB, Norman AF, Price DA, Williams SW. Effect of welding parameters on nugget zone microstructure and properties in high strength aluminium alloy friction stir welds. Science and Technology of Welding and Joining. 2003; 8(4):257-68. Crossref.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.