Total views : 40
Finite Element Methods based Structural Analysis of Universal Joint using Structural Steel Material
The present work deals with the optimization of universal joint using structural steel in order to reduce the mass and the stress value using FEM. The universal joint model was prepared in CAD software SOLIDWORKS and the static structural analysis was done in CAE tool ANSYS to determine the equivalent stress (von-mises). First of all, the failure analysis was done which shows that existing universal joint of structural steel was safe below the Torque moment 3850 N-m. Then the structural analysis of the universal joint was done for torque value 3800 N-m. The sensitivity analysis was run to determine sensitive area of universal joint where stresses were high and the sensitive dimensions were changed to find the minimum stress value and mass. For the optimized design, the Equivalent stress (von-mises) reduction in case of structural steel is 15.724% for the torque value of 3800 N-m. The mass of the universal joint reduces by 0.451%. The mass reduction from the cross alone is 4.473%. Final result shows that the stress reduction percentage and total mass reduction percentage comes out to be 15.7 and 0.451 % respectively.
Finite Element Methods, Optimization, Universal Joint
- Shah P, Patil A. Modeling and FEA of universal coupling of an automobile truck. International Journal for Innovative Research in Science and Technology. 2016; 3(2):131–6.
- Mandal A, Sharma U, Pant H. Static structural analysis of universal joint to study the various stresses and strains developed in power transmission systems. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology. 2016; 5(3):71–6.
- Kolekar DS, Kalje AM, Kulkarni SS. Structural analysis of universal joint using finite element methodology. International Journal of Scientific Research and Management Studies. 2015; 2(3):136–42.
- Mahajan SS, Khamankar SD. Finite element analysis of universal joint. International Journal of Emerging Technologies and Innovative Research. 2014; 1(7):754–61.
- Chaudhry S, Krishan G. Finite element analysis and weight reduction of universal joint using CAE tools. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology. 2014; 3(10):81–7.
- Rahman MZ, Adhikary D, Mumu TR. Failure analysis of a universal coupling using finite element method. Global Journal of Researches in Engineering Mechanical and Mechanics Engineering. 2013; 13(9):11–5.
- Giridhar NS, Hetawal S, Baskar P. Finite element analysis of universal joint and propeller shaft assembly. International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology. 2013; 5(5):321–7.
- Sheikh SM. Analysis of universal coupling under different torque condition. International Journal of Engineering Science and Advance Technology. 2012; 2(3):690–4.
- Yaghoubi M, Jafary A, Mohtasebi SS. Design, simulation and evaluation of a new universal joint with intersecting angle up to 100 degrees for farm machineries. International Journal of Engineering Science and Advance Technology.2010; 1(4):149–52.
- Bayrakceken H, Tasgetiren S, Yavuz I. Two cases of failure in the power transmission system on vehicles: A universal joint yoke and a drive shaft. Engineering Failure Analysis.2007; 14:716–24. Crossref
- Cristello N, Kim Y. Design optimization of an automotive universal joint considering manufacturing cost. 17th IASTED International Conference Modeling and Simulation.2006; 4(1):499–504.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.