Total views : 181
Micro Financing: Accountability and Financial Management Practices of Micro Entrepreneurs
Objective: This study aims to look at the financial management practices of two groups of micro entrepreneurs; sahabats of AIM and asnafs entrepreneurs from PPUAZ. Method Analysis: Adopting a mixed method approach, this study combines both quantitative (surveys) and qualitative (interviews) approaches. The surveys were conducted first to provide the overall and background information of the micro enterprises and their financial management practices. Adopting the purposive sampling method, samples were chosen based on the participants' willingness to participate in the study. However, to ensure that the questions were answered by the targeted respondents, participants were asked on whether they were actively involved in running a business before answering the survey questions. Then, the findings from the questionnaire are verified in the interview sessions with the selected micro entrepreneurs. Findings: Data from the surveys and interviews were analyzed, and it was found that although asnafs are given "free money" from the PPUAZ, they generally have better financial management practices as compared to the sahabats. This study also found that that majority of the micro entrepreneurs score low on the financial management variables. This suggests that the micro entrepreneurs in general are not practicing a good record keeping. As financial management is vital for all types of entrepreneurship including micro, it is a concern as 21% of the micro entrepreneurs in this study are not recording anything from their business activities.
Financial Management, Microfinance, Micro Entrepreneurs AIM, PPUAZ.
- Abdul Halim H, Said J, Syed Yusuf S. N., and Bahrom H. Modelling Zakat Distribution for Enhancement Human Capital Development. Research Management Institute, Universiti Teknologi MARA.2012.
- Abdul Kadri NA.. AIM Buka Jalan Keluar Daripada Kemiskinan. Mingguan Wanita. 2013 Sep.
- Abdul Wahab A.. Economic Development Program in Lembaga Zakat Selangor (MAIS) – Distribution of Capital Support. Lecture conducted at Intellectual Discourse in Islamic Microfinance. 2012 May.
- Adams DE . Undermining Rural Development with Cheap Credit. American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 1984; 67(4).
- AIM History. Date Accessed 2012 Apr 3 Available from: Crossref
- AIM. . Skim Pembiayaan Ikhtiar. Date Accessed: 2013, Available from: Crossref
- AIM. .Jumlah Sahabat. Retrieved , 2016 Apr 1 Available from: Crossref
- Bosma, N. and Harding, R. (2006). Global Entrepreneurship Monitor: 2006 Executive Report. Retrieved July 1, 2013 Available from: Crossref
- Brees, J. R., and Martinko, M. J. The Effects of Intra-Personal and Environmental Factors on Accountability Acceptance and Their Consequences. Journal of Leadership, Accountability and Ethics. (2015);12(1): 63.
- 10.Dusuki, A. W. Banking for the Poor: The Role of Islamic Banking in Microfinance Initiatives. Humanomics. (2008); 24(1):49–66. Crossref
- Ekanem, I. (2010). Liquidity Management in Small Firm: A Learning Perspective. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development.2010;17(1):123–138. Crossref
- Entrepreneurship Programme Proves Effective in Reducing Poverty Rate. (2013, March 20). The New Straits Times. Date AccessedJune 15, 2013 Available from Crossref
- Fairbourne JS, Gibson SW and Dyer WG. (). MicroFranchising: Creating Wealth at the bottom of the Pyramid. 2007: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Garcia, O. T.). Measuring Poverty and Vulnerability in Microfinance. Unpublished doctoral dissertation. Universidad Complutense de Madrid;2009.
- Gitau, BM, Nyangweso G, Mwencha N and Onchangwa GA. Influence of Cash Management Practices on Financial Performance of Agribusiness Enterprises in Kenya. International Journal of Social Sciences and Entrepreneurship. 2014;1(12): 260–270.
- Hall AT, Frink DD, Ferris G.R, Hochwarter W A, Kacmar CJ, and Bowen, MG. Accountability in Human Resources Management. New Directions in Human Resource Management. 2003:29–63.
- Hamdan H, Othman P. and Wan Hussin WS. The Importance of Monitoring and Entrepreneurship Concept as Future Direction of Microfinance in Malaysia: Case Study in the State of Selangor. Journal of Global Entrepreneurship. 2012;3(1): 1–25.
- Hassan, S. (2013). Microfinance for Poverty Reduction and Quality of Life Enhancement from the Shariah Perspective – The Case of Amanah Ikhtiar Malaysia, [Unpublished Doctoral Thesis]. The International Centre for Education in Islamic Finance.
- Hochwarter, WA., Perrewé, P L., Hall A T, and Ferris, G. R.. Negative Affectivity as a Moderator of the Form and Magnitude of the Relationship between Felt Accountability and Job Tension. Journal of Organizational Behavior. 2005;26(5):517-534. Crossref
- Hurley, D. . Income Generation Schemes for the Urban Poor. Oxfam. 1990.
- Kadar Kemiskinan Negara Menurun 60 Peratus – PM. Utusan Malaysia. Date Accessed: June 15, 2013 Available fromCrossref
- LZS. (. Annual Report. Date Accessed April 5, 2014 Available from Crossref
- LZS. (Statement of Zakat Collection and Distribution. Date Accessed April 5, 2014, Available from Crossref
- LZS. (. Sejarah. Date Accessed: April 5, 2014 Available from http://www.e-zakat.com.my/sejarah-lzs/
- MAIS. . Penubuhan MAIS. Date Accessed April 5, 2014 Available from Crossref
- Makhtar, AS. and Abdul Wahab A. . Pengurusan Zakat di Negeri Selangor: Isu dan Cabaran. Paper presented at Prosiding Konvensyen Kebangsaan Perancangan and Pengurusan Harta dalam Islam. 2010
- Mamun, A., Abdul Wahab, S. and Malarvizhi, S. A. (2011). Empirical Investigation on Repayment Performance of Amanah Ikhtiar Malaysia’s Hardcore Poor Clients. International Journal of Business and Management,.201;6(7): 125133.
- McMahon R G. P, Holmes S., Hutchinson P. J., and Forsaith, DM. .Small Enterprise Financial Management: Theory and Practice, Harcourt Brace, Sydney.1993
- Md. Hassan, N., Mohd Nor, A. H., Mohd Rom, N. A. Embracing Microfinance: Proposed Collaboration Between Zakat Institution and Microfinance Institutions. Paper presented at the 3rd International Conference on Business and Economic Research Proceeding.2012.
- Midgley, J. . Microenterprise, Global Poverty and Social Development. International Social Work, 2008;51(4): 467– 479. Crossref
- Mohd Balwi M A. W. F. and Abd Halim, AH. . Mobilisasi Zakat Dalam Perwujudan Usahawan Asnaf: Satu Tinjauan. Jurnal Syariah.2008; 16: 567–584.
- Morduch, J. . The Microfinance Promise. Journal of Economic Literature, 1999;XXXV(11):15691–614. Crossref 33. Nawai N. and Bashir M.S. (). Performance and Effectiveness of The Amanah Ikhtiar Malaysia (AIM) Programmes: Factor Analysis Technique, Journal of Muamalat and Islamic Finance Research. 2006;3(1): 133–152.
- Nguyen, K. . Financial management and profitability of small and medium enterprises. [DBA Thesis] Southern Cross University; Australia.2001
- Paramasivan C, and Subramanian T. . Financial management. First edition. New Age International (P) Ltd Publishers; 2009
- PPUAZ. Projek Ekonomi Asnaf. Retrieved Date Accessed: June 21, 2012 Available from: Crossref
- Robinson M. S. The Microfinance Revolution: Suitable Finance for the Poor. World Bank Publications.2001. Crossref
- Sarif, S. and Kamri, N. A. A Theoretical Discussion of Zakah for Income Generation and Its Fiqh Issues. Jurnal Syariah. 2009.; 17(3): 457500.
- Selamat, N. H. et. Survival Through Entrepreneurship: Determinants of Successful Micro-enterprises in Balik Pulau, Penang Island, Malaysia. British Journal of Arts and Social Sciences.2011; 3(1):23-37.
- Slivinski, S. (2012). Increasing Entrepreneurship is a Key to Lowering Poverty Rates. Date Accessed July 1, 2013 Available from Crossref
- SME Corp. Malaysia. (October 2013). Guidelines for New SME Definition. Retrieved June 11, 2015 Available from Crossref
- Solomon E, Pringle J J. An Introduction to Financial Management. Good Year Publishing Company, California;1977
- Thomas M, Seibel H D. . Coping with Scarcity: Microenterprise Strategies in Nigeria. Sharbrucha GMH. 1996
- Wan Ahmad, W. M. Zakat Investment in Malaysia: A Study of Contemporary Policy and Practice in Relation to Shari’a. [Thesis].2012.
- Zaid, O. Accounting Systems and Recording Process in the Early Islamic State. Accounting Historian Journal. 2004; 31(2): 149–170.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.