Total views : 37
Reliability and Availability Evaluation of a Series- Parallel System Subject to Random Failure
Objective: To compute the reliability/availability of casting system, a part of steel industry with a view to increase its productivity. Methods/Analysis: The reliability of casting system of a steel industry, consisting of four units, has been computed using Supplementary Variable Technique (SVT) by keeping the failure rates constant and varying the repair rates. From the transition diagram of the casting system, Chapman-Kolmogorov differential equations have been developed using mnemonic rule which are further solved using Lagrange’s method. The transient state availability of the system has been computed by Runge-Kutta fourth order method using MATLAB. Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) has been calculated numerically. Findings: Besides increasing the plant availability and hence production, the findings of this paper may help in maintenance planning and scheduling of the said system. Novelty/Improvement: Reliability of the casting system of a steel industry has not been discussed so far.
Lagrange’s Method, Runge-Kutta, Supplementary Variable Technique, MATLAB, MTBF
- Mahmoud M, Mokhles MA, Saleh EH. Availability analysis of a repairable system with common-cause failure and one standby unit. Microelectronics Reliability. 1987; 27(4):741–54.Crossref
- Kumar D.Availability of the Feeding System in the Sugar Industry.Microelectronics Reliability. 1988; 28(6):867–71.Crossref
- Singh J.A Warm Standby Redundant System with Common Cause Failures. Reliability Engineering System Safety. 1989; 26(2):135–41. Crossref
- Sharma D, Garg RR, Gupta AK. Performance measures of a computer network system. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology. 2009; 8(2):187–202
- .5. Yang J, Meng X, Guo W, Guan Y, Wang T. An N-component series repairable system with repairman doing other work and priority in repair. Journal of Modern Applied Science. 2008; 2 (6): 163–8. Crossref
- Garg S, Singh J, Singh DV. Mathematical modelling and performance analysis of combed yarn production system: Based on few data. Journal of Applied Mathematical Modelling. 2010; 34 (11):3300-08.
- Sharma SK, Sharma D, Sharma V. Cost analysis for a nuclear power plant with standby redundant reactor vessel.Research Journal of Mathematics and Statistics. 2010; 2(3):91–6.
- Shakuntla S, Lal AK, Bhatia SS, Singh J. Reliability analysis of polytube industry using supplementary variable technique. Applied Mathematics and Computation.2011; 218(8): 3981–92. Crossref
- Zheng F, Xu S, Li X. Numerical solution of the steadystate probability and reliability of a repairable system with three unites. Applied Mathematics and Computation.2015; 263:251–67. Crossref
- Cekyay B, Ozekici S. Reliability MTTF and steady-state availability analysis of systems with exponential lifetimes.Applied Mathematical Modelling. 2015; 39(1):284–96.Crossref
- Kumar A, Pant S. International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management. Availability and Cost Analysis of an Engineering System Involving Subsystems in Series Configuration. 2017; 34(6):879–94.
- Sugiura H, Torii T. A method for constructing generalized Runge-Kutta methods. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics. 1991; 38(1-3):399–410.Crossref
- Lindemann C, Malhotra M, Trivedi KS. Numerical methods for reliability evaluation of markov closed fault-tolerant systems.IEEE Transactions on Reliability.1995; 44(4):694–704. Crossref
- Qamber IS. Reliability study of two engineering models using LU decomposition. Reliability Engineering and System Safety.1999; 64(3):359-64. Crossref
- Gupta P, Lal AK, Sharma RK, Singh J. Analysis of reliability and availability of serial processes of plastic-pipe manufacturing plant: A case study. International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management. 2007; 24(4):404–19. Crossref
- Uddin MN, Uddin MM, Mitra NK. Solution of ordinary differential equation by Runge-Kutta Method. ASA University Review. 2009; 3(2):227–34.
- Garg S, Singh J, Singh DV. Availability analysis of crank-case manufacturing in a two-wheeler automobile industry. Applied Mathematical Modelling. 2010; 34(6):1672–83. Crossref
- Li L, Yan H, Wu X. Numerical analysis on the reliability of space tracking, telemetering and command system based on the sparse matrix storage schemes. Proceedings of ICQR2MSE; China. 2012. p. 240–44. Crossref
- Khalsaraei MM. Positivity of an explicit Runge–Kutta method.Ain Shams Engineering Journal. 2015; 6(4):1217–23.Crossref
- Amann C, Kadau K. Numerically efficient modified RungeKutta solver for fatigue crack growth analysis. Engineering Fracture Mechanics. 2016; 161:55–62. Crossref
- Hussain K, Ismail F, Senu N. Solving directly special fourth-order ordinary differential equations using Runge-Kutta type method. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics. 2016; 306:179–99. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.