Total views : 21
Numerical Simulation of Hydrodynamic for Abrupt Bathymetry in Palu River Estuary
The failure of numerical simulation for hydrodynamic model in abrupt bathymetry zone is one of the obstacles in solving environmental problems in coastal zone. The research aims to make three dimensional hydrodynamic model in Palu river estuary that has abrubt bathymetry using ECOMSED. The simulation was conducted on horizontal and vertical cross section with the boundary condition of model, i.e. the depth data was used at the bottom of the river and the sea, river discharge at upstream and tide constituents at downstream. Input data and interpolation program was made in solving error problem. Run time error occurred during simulation, therefore, experimental method was used by modifying input data and increasing the number of grid and time step resolution to make calculation became stable. The results revealed that the influence of tidal current in Palu river estuary is smaller than the influence of river discharge and the temperature is mainly distributed westward on the horizontal cross section. While on the vertical cross section, the direction of temperature distribution follows the current movement pattern based on the overlay between current and temperature distribution. The calculated surface elevation and current velocity on the vertical cross section well suits with the secondary data obtained from hydro oceanographic office and observed current velocity.
Abrupt Bathymetry, ECOMSED, Hydrodynamic, Numerical Simulation, Palu River Estuary
- Rahmat, Abdullah, Jamidun. Report of environmental status in Palu city region in 2006. Palu City Goverment, Central Sulawesi. 2006.
- Ulutas E, Inan A, Annunziato A. Web-based tsunami early warning system: A case study of the 2010 Kepulaunan Mentawai Earthquake and Tsunami. Nat Hazards Earth Syst Sci. 2012; 12:1855–71. Crossref
- HydroQual, Inc. A primer for ECOMSED. Users Manual; Mahwah, N. J. 07430, USA. 2002.
- Riandini F. Simulation model for cohesive sediment transport and bottom topography changes in estuary. [Ph. D dissertation]. Japan: Kyoto University; 2006.
- Fangkai MA, Chunbo J, William R, Binliang L. Modelling sediment transport processes in macro-tidal estuary. Sci China Ser E-Technol Sci. 2009; 52:3368. Doi: 10.1007/ s11431-009-0351-6. Crossref
- Achiari H, Irsan S, Safii A, Yuanita N. Application of 3D hydrodynamic-sediment model for cohesive sediment in gembong estuarine case study. International Conference on Sustainable Infrastructure and Built Environment in Developing Countries; Bandung, West Java, Indonesia. 2009. ISBN 978-979-98278-2-1.
- Sanchez A. et al. Hydro-morphodynamic modelling in Mediterranean storms. Nat Hazards Earth Syst Sci. 2014; 14:2993–3004. Crossref
- Thomson R, Fine I, Krassovski M, Cherniawsky J, Conway K, Wills P. Numerical simulation of tsunamis generated by submarine slope failures in Douglas Channel, British Columbia. DFO Can Sci Advis Sec Res Doc. 2012/115. v + 38p.
- IOC, IHO and BODC. Centenary Edition of the GEBCO Digital Atlas, published on CD-ROM on behalf of the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission and the International Hydrographic Organization as part of the General Bathymetric Chart of the Oceans; British Oceanographic Data Centre, Liverpool, U.K. 2003.
- Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Laut. Daftar pasang surut kepulauan Indonesia. Jakarta: Hydro Oceanographic Office; 2005.
- Azizah. Study of Palu river estuary dynamic. Palu: Tadulako University; 2006.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.