Total views : 55
Short-Circuit Incipient Faults Detection from Single Phase PWM Inverter using Artificial Neural Network
Solar Photovoltaic (PV) system consists of three main parts which are PV array, PV inverter and utility grid. From the three, PV inverter is considered the weakest link in the solar PV system. Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT) is the most critical component in an inverter and is often blamed for the failure of inverters. If the incipient faults of the IGBT can be detected, the breakdown possibility of the solar PV system can be improved. However, before the incipient faults can be detected, it needs to be first generated before further analysis and improvements can be made. This paper proposes a process on how to generate the incipient faults which are caused by the short-circuit fault of a single phase PWM inverter. The single phase PWM inverter consists of four IGBTs and there is a total of six parameters that need to be observed for each IGBT. The parameter that could cause short-circuit fault to the IGBTs is identified by modifying the parameters of IGBT one at a time. The response at the inverter output is observed and recorded after each modification to the parameter value is done. From the results, it shows that parameter Threshold voltage (Vge(th)) is identified to be able to generate the short-circuit incipient faults. For the application of detection the incipient faults using neural network, a total of 100 short-circuit incipient faults and one set of normal condition waveform are collected at the output of the single phase PWM inverter. These waveforms are then used to train the feedforward backpropagation neural network. One hidden layer feedforward backpropagation neural network of 7 neurons was trained and MSE of was obtained. It was shown that the trained feedforward backpropagation neural network was able to detect which IGBT component of the single phase PWM inverter produced the short-circuit incipient faults.
Incipient Faults, Inverter, Neural Network, Solar PV System, IGBT.
- Solangi KH, Lwin TNW, Rahim NA, Hossain MS, Saidur R, Fayaz H. Development of solar energy and present policies in Malaysia. 2011 IEEE Conference on Clean Energy and Technology (CET); 2011. p. 115–20. Crossref
- Fayaz H, Rahim NA, Saidur R, Solangi KH, Niaz H, Hossain MS. Solar energy policy: Malaysia vs developed countries. 2011 IEEE Conference on Clean Energy and Technology (CET); 2011. p. 374–8.
- Falvo MC, Capparella S. Safety issues in PV systems: Design choices for a secure fault detection and for preventing fire risk. Case Studies in Fire Safety. 2015. p. 1–16.
- Bonn RH. Developing a “next generation” PV inverter. Conference Record of the 29th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference; 2002. p. 1352–5.
- Chine W, Mellit A, Pavan AM, Kalogirou SA. Fault detection method for grid-connected photovoltaic plants. Renewable Energy. 2014; 66:99–110.
- Hu Y, Gao B, Song X, Tian GY, Li K, He X. Photovoltaic fault detection using a parameter based model. Solar Energy. 2013; 96:96–102.
- Silvestre S, d Silva MA, Chouder A, Guasch D, Karatepe E. New procedure for fault detection in grid connected PV systems based on the evaluation of current and voltage indicators. Energy Conversion and Management. 2014; 86:241–9.
- Solórzano J, Egido MA. Automatic fault diagnosis in PV systems with distributed MPPT. Energy Conversion and Management. 2013; 76:925–34.
- Tadj M, Benmouiza K, Cheknane A. An innovative method based on satellite image analysis to check fault in a PV system lead–acid battery. Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory. 2014; 47:236–47.
- Tadj M, Benmouiza K, Cheknane A, Silvestre S. Improving the performance of PV systems by faults detection using GISTEL approach. Energy Conversion and Management. 2014; 80:298–304.
- Khomfoi S, Tolbert LM. Fault diagnostic system for a multilevel inverter using a neural network. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 2007; 22:1062–9. Crossref
- Catelani M, Ciani L, Simoni E. Thermal analysis of critical components in photovoltaic inverter. 2012 IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference Proceedings; 2012. p. 1891–5.
- Kaplar R, Brock R, Das GS, Marinella M, Starbuck A, Fresquez A, et al. PV inverter performance and reliability: What is the role of the IGBT? 2011 37th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference; 2011. p. 001842–7.
- Mo-yuen C, Mangum P, Thomas RJ. Incipient fault detection in DC machines using a neural network. 22nd Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers; 1988. p. 706–9.
- Hoskins JC, Kaliyur KM, Himmelblau DM. Incipient fault detection and diagnosis using artificial neural networks. 1990 IJCNN International Joint Conference on Neural Networks; 1990. p. 81–6.
- Escobet T, Puig V, Quevedo J, Garcia D. A methodology for incipient fault detection. 2014 IEEE Conference on Control Applications (CCA); 2014. p. 104–9.
- Siddique A, Yadava GS, Singh B. Identification of three phase induction motor incipient faults using neural network. Conference Record of the 2004 IEEE International Symposium on Electrical Insulation; 2004. p. 30–3.
- Mo-yuen C, Bilbro GL, Sui Oi Y. Application of learning theory to a single phase induction motor incipient fault detector artificial neural network. Proceedings of the 1st International Forum on Applications of Neural Networks to Power Systems; 1991. p. 97–101.
- Kamel T, Biletskiy Y, Chang L. Fault diagnosis and on-line monitoring for grid-connected single-phase inverters. Electric Power Systems Research. 2015; 126:68–77.
- Ku Ahmad KNE, Selvaraj J, Rahim NA. A review of the islanding detection methods in grid-connected PV inverters. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2013; 21:756–66.
- Moura AP, Lopes JAP, de Moura AAF, Sumaili J, Moreira CL. IMICV fault analysis method with multiple PV gridconnected inverters for distribution systems. Electric Power Systems Research. 2015; 119:119–25.
- Huang C, Zhao J, Wu C. Data-based inverter IGBT opencircuit fault diagnosis in vector control induction motor drives. 2013 IEEE 8th Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ICIEA); 2013. p. 1039–44.
- Hart DW. Power electronics. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2011. p. 363–5.
- Corporation I. 900V XPTTM IGBTs GenX3TM. Datasheet of IGBT.
- Mitra SK. Digital signal processing: A computer-based approach. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2011. p. 300–7.
- Ismail N, Nordin FH, Alkahtani AA, Sharrif ZAM. Detection of the source of the incipient faults produced by single phase inverter using feed-forward back-propagation neural network. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2017; 9.
- Zhang GP. Neural networks for classification: A survey. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part C (Applications and Reviews). 2000; 30:451–62. Crossref
- Haviluddin, Alfred R. A genetic-based backpropagation neural network for forecasting in time-series data. 2015 International Conference on Science in Information Technology (ICSITech); 2015. p. 158–63.
- Wang B, Yang B, Sheng J, Chen M, He G. An improved neural network algorithm and its application in sinter cost prediction. 2009 2nd International Workshop on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining; 2009. p. 112–5.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.