Total views : 1543
A Comparative Study on the Hydrography of the Coast of Chennai
Surface seawater samples were collected from two different stations along the Coast of Chennai, Station-1, the Ennore Coast where the fly ash effluent from the Ennore Thermal Power Station (ETPS) is directly discharged into the water and Station 2, the Kovelong Coast which is free from such point sources of pollution. Samples were collected between 8.00 a.m. and 9.00 a.m. during low tide from the two sampling Stations for a period of two years i.e. from April 2005 to March 2007. Samples were analyzed for temperature, pH, salinity, different forms of alkalinity (total alkalinity, carbonate alkalinity and total CO2) Dissolved Oxygen (DO), Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD), ammonia nitrogen (NH3-N), nitrite nitrogen (NO2-N) and nitrate nitrogen (NO3-N), and phosphate phosphorous (PO4-P) and N: P ratios. All the parameters studied except salinity and DO were high at Station 1 when compared to Station 2. Further wide fluctuations in the various physico chemical parameters studied were also recorded in samples collected from Station 1.
Chennai, Coastal Pollution, Water Quality
- Govindasamy C and Azariah J (1999) Seasonal variation of heavy metals in coastal water of the Coromandel coast Bay of Bengal, India. Ind. J. Mar. Sci. 28, 249-256.
- Gowda R and Panigrahy RC (1995) Seasonal distribution and behavior of nitrate and phosphate in Rushikulya estuary, East Coast of India. Ind. J. Mar.Sci. 24, 233-235.
- Hodgson DR, Dyer D and Brown DA (1982) Neutralization and dissolution of high calcium biomass. J. Environ. Qual. 11, 93-98.
- Langford TE (1983) Thermal pollution. In: Biology of fresh water pollution C.F. Mason (Ed.) Longmann group UK. 189-196 pp.
- Mishra S, Panda D and Panigrahy RC (1993) Physicochemical characteristics of the Bahuda estuary (Orissa) East Coast of India. Ind. J. Mar. Sci. 22, 75-77.
- Padma, S and Periakali P (1999) Physicochemical and geochemical studies in Pulicat lake, East Coast of India. Ind. J. Mar. Sci. 28, 434-437.
- Panda D, Tripathy SK, Patnaik DK, Choudhury SB, Gouda R and Panigrahy RC (1989) Distribution of nutrients in Chilka lake, East Coast of India. Ind. J. Mar. Sci. 18, 286-288.
- Panigrahy PK, Das J, Das SN and Sahoo RK (1999) Evaluation of the influence of various physico-chemical parameters on coastal water quality, around Orissa, by factor analysis. Ind. J. Mar. Sci. 28, 360-364.
- Post WM, Peng TH, Emmanuel WR, King AW, Dale VH and De Angelis DL (1990) The global carbon cycle. Am. Sci. 78, 310-326.
- Saisastry AGR and Chandramohan P (1990) Physico chemical characteristics of Vasishta Godavari estuary, East Coast of India: Prepollution Status. Ind. J. Mar. Sci. 19, 42-46.
- Satpathy KK (1996) Seasonal distribution of nutrients in the coastal waters of Kalpakam, East coast of India. Ind. J. Mar. Sci. 25, 221- 224.
- Satpathy KK, Mohanty AK, Sahu G, Prasad VMR, Venkatesan R, Natesan U and Rajan, M (2007) On the occurrence of Trichodesmium erythraeum (Ehr.) bloom in the coastal waters of Kalpakkam, east coast of India. Indian J.Sci.Technol. 1 (2), 1-9. Domain citation: http://www.indjst.org.
- Sivaswamy SN (1990) Plankton in relation to coastal pollution at Ennore, Madras Coast. Ind. J. Mar. Sci. 19, 115-119.
- Satyanarayan Bramha, Unmesh Chandra Panda, Krupasindhu Bhatta and Bijay Kumar Sahu (2008) Spatial variation in hydrological characteristics of Chilika – A coastal lagoon of India. Indian J. Sci. Technol. 1 (4), 1-7. Domain citation: http://www.indjst.org.
- Strickland JDH and Parsons TR (1972) A practical hand book of seawater analysis. Fish Res Board. Canada, Ottawa, Bulletin, 167.
- Subramanian B and Mahadevan A (1999) Seasonal and diurnal variation of hydrobiological characters of coastal waters of Chennai. Ind. J. Mar. Sci. 28, 429-433.
- Subrat Naik, Panigrahy RC and Mohapatra A (2008) Spatio-temporal distribution of zooplankton in Chilka lake- A Ramsar site on the Indian east coast. Indian J. Sci. Technol. 1 (3), 1-5. Domain citation: http://www.indjst.org.
- Tripathi RD, Vajpayee P, Singh N, Rai, UN Kumar A, Ali MB, Kumar B and Yunus M (2004) Efficacy of various amendments for amelioration of fly ash toxicity: growth performance and metal composition of Cassia siamea Lamk. Chemosphere 54, 1581-1588.
- Upadhyay S (1988) Physicochemical characteristics of Mahanadi Estuarine Ecosystem, East Coast of India. Ind. J. Mar. Sci., 17, 19-23.
- Valsaraj CP, Ramasubramanian R and Rao VNR (1995) Seawater quality of the coastal waters of Madras - An assessment by chemical and biological monitoring. J. Environ. Biol. 16, 119-129.
- Vijaykumaran K, Narayana Rao B and Radhakrishna K (1996) Surface productivity and related hydrography of Vishakapatnam during premonsoon and winter months of 1987-1989. Ind. J. Mar. Sci. 25, 29-34.
- Strickland, J.D.H. and Parsons, T.R. 1972. A practical hand book of seawater analysis. Fish Res Board. Canada, Ottawa, Bulletin, 167.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.