Total views : 655
A Low Cost Wavelet Based Mammogram Image Processing for Early Detection of Breast Cancer
We report a low cost wavelet based image processing technique using MATLAB for detecting the calcification on a relatively less sophisticated computing platform. The paper analyzed sample mammograms and reports the success of the algorithms as the unit cost of patient treatment is much lower than the existing one. In the existing scenario, there is a consistent increase in the unit cost of treatment to the patients owing to the requirement of the sophisticated computing hardware and Computer Aided Design Tools. Hence, the proposed low cost approach may benefit the marginalized sectors of the society.
Mammograms, Image Processing, Wavelet, Matlab, Cancer
- Chan HP, Doi K, Vyborny CJ, Lam KL and Schmidt RA (1988) Computer-aided detection of microcalcications in mammograms: methodology and preliminary clinical study. Investigative Radiol. 23, 664-671.
- Gajalakshmi Vendhan, Aleyamma Mathew, Paul Brennan, Balakrishnan Rajan, Vendhan C. Kanimozhi, Anitha Mathews, Beela S. Mathew and Paolo Boffetta (2009) Breastfeeding and breast cancer risk in India: a multicenter case-control study. Intl.J.Cancer. 125 (3), 662-665.
- Jay Bhaskar and Poonam Rani Gupta (2009) Design of an automated cancer detection system. Proc. ASCNT– 2009, CDAC, Noida, India. pp: 9– 5.
- Medindia (2006) Breast cancer in India rising rapidly. http://www.medindia.net/news/view_news_main. Jan 22.
- Nishikawa RM, Jiang Y, Ginger ML, Schmidt RA, Vyborny CJ and Zhang W (1994) Performance of automated CAD schemes for the detection and classification of clustered microcalcifications. In: Proc. 2nd Intl. Workshop on Digital Mammography, York, England. pp: 13-20.
- Sentelle S, Sentelle C and Sutton MA (2002) Multiresolution- based segmentation of calcifications for the early detection of breast cancer. Real Time Imaging. 8 (3), 237-252.
- Sheshadri HS and Kandaswamy A (2006) Computer aided decision system for early detection of breast cancer. Indian J. Med. Res. 124, 149-154.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.