Total views : 2055
A Correlation Study of the Ground Water Quality in the Manali Petroleum Industrial Region in Tamil Nadu, India
The increased prominence of the petroleum industry in Manali at North Chennai has given rise to a concomitant upsurge of ecological disturbances together with groundwater pollution. Ten representative groundwater samples were collected from various parts of the industrial region in the monsoon, winter and summer seasons during 2006-2007 and those water samples were analysed by standard analytic methods. As many as twenty water quality parameters were taken into account in the correlation analysis. Some parameters were found within and some parameters beyond the permissible limit. Correlation coefficients (r) between different pairs of parameters were computed. Significant positive correlation was found to exist between the pairs of parameters; turbidity-alkalinity, turbidity-iron, ECNa, TDS-EC, TDS-TH, EC-TH, TH-K and CODBOD. It is also observed that, some of the parameters were found to have weak correlation and some parameters have negative correlation.
Manali, Petroleum Industry, Groundwater Quality, Correlation Coefficients
- Achuthan Nair G, Mohamad AI and Fadiel MM (2005) A on Physico-chemical parameters and correlation coefficients of groundwaters of North-East Libya. Pollution Res. 24(1), 1-6.
- Agarwal KC (1991) Environmental Biology, Nitrate Botanica Publishers, New Delhi, 289- 300.
- APHA, AWWA, WEF (1995) Standard Methods for the Examination of water and waste water. American Public Health Association, Washington DC, 19th ed.
- Board of Indian Standards (BIS) (1991) Indian Standards for drinking water specification (BIS 10500: 1991).
- Dash JR, Dash PC and Patra HK (2006) A correlation and regression study on the groundwater quality in rural areas around Angul-Talcher industrial zone. Indian J. Environ. Prot., 26(6), 550-558.
- Harris BL, Hoffman DW and Mazac FJ Jr. (2001) Reducing Contamination by Improving Petroleum Product Storage. USEPA/625/6-87.
- Ibrahim M, Bathusa and Saseetharan MK (2006) Sttistical study on physico-chemical characteristics of groundwater of Coimbatore South Zone. Indian J. Environ. Prot. 26(6), 508- 515.
- Jain A and Nidhi S (2004) Effect of industrial wastewater on groundwater of Jabalpur. Indian J. Environ. Prot. 24(9), 689-694.
- Jain P, Sharma JD, Sohu D and Sharma P (2006) Chemical analysis of drinking water of villages of Sanganer Tehsil, Jaipur District. Intnl. J. Environ. Science and Tech. 2(4), 373- 379.
- Jeyaraj T, Padmavathy S and Jebakumari SSH (2002) Correlation among water quality parameters for groundwater samples of Bharathi Nagar of Thiruchirappalli City. Indian J. Environ. Prot. 22(7), 755-759.
- Kalvin M (1996) Well water quality in Latvia. Intnl/ J. Environ. Studies. 50, 41-50.
- Kalyanaraman SB and Geetha G (2005) Correlation analysis and prediction of characteristic parameters and water quality index of groundwater. Pollution Research. 24(1), 197-200.
- Karthikeyan G, Shanmugasundararaj A and Elango KP (2003) Mapping of fluoride endemic areas and correlation studies of fluoride with other quality parameters of drinking water of Veppanapalli Block of Dharmapuri District in Tamil Nadu. Indian J. Environ. Health. 45(4), 281-284.
- Madhusudana Reddy P and Subba Rao N (2001) Effect of industrial effluents on the groundwater region in Visakapatnam. Pollution Res. 20(3), 383-386.
- Mahajan SV, Savita Khare and Shrivastava VS (2005) A correlation and regression study. Indian J. Environ. Prot. 25(3), 254-259.
- Mariappan V, Rajan MR, David Ravindran A and Prabakaran P (2005) A systemic study of water quality index among the physicochemical characteristics of groundwater in and around Thanjavur Town. Indian J. Environ. Prot. 25(6), 551-554.
- Nagarajan S, Swaminathan M and Sabarathinam PL (1993) A correlation study on physico-chemical characteristics of groundwater in and around Chidambaram Town, Tamil Nadu. Pollution Res. 12(4),245- 250.
- Punam Tyagi, Buddhi D, Sawhney RL and Richa Kothari D (2003) A Correlation among physico-chemical parameters of groundwater in and around Pithampur industrial area. Indian J. Environ. Prot. 23(11), 1276-1282.
- Rajasekaran R, Kannan N, Paulra K and Paulrajan S (2004) A correlation study on physico-chemical characteristics of under groundwater along river Vaigai in Madurai city. Indian J. Environ. Prot. 24(1), 41-48.
- Saxena HC, Dass HK and Raisingania MD (2004) Simplified course in statistics. S.Chand and Co. Ltd., New Delhi, 57-173.
- Sunitha V, Sudharshan V and B. Rajeshwara Reddy (2005) Hydrogeochemistry of groundwater, Gooty area, Anantapur District, Andhrapradesh, India. Pollution Res. 24(1), 217-224.
- Vaishnav SN and Shrivastava VS (2007) Assessment of pollution status of industrial wastewater, Correlation and Regression study, Indian J. Environ. Prot. 27(6), 554-558.
- WHO (2003) Guidelines for Drinking-Water Quality. 2nd ed., World Health Organization, Geneva, 3.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.