Total views : 2206
A Comparative Study of Multifunctional Finishing of Cotton and P/C Blended Fabrics Treated with Titanium Dioxide/zinc Oxide Nanoparticles
Research outcome on the syntheses and characterizations of Titanium dioxide (TiO2) and Zinc Oxide (ZnO) nanoparticles and their applications on cotton and polyester/cotton blended fabrics for imparting multifunctional properties (viz.Anti-bacterial protection, self-cleaning and UV protection) are reported. The nanoparticles of TiO2 and ZnO were produced separately in different conditions of chemical reactions using soft chemistry. These synthesized nanoparticles were characterized by Fourier Transformed Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR), Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM), and X-ray powder Diffractometry (XRD) for assessing the composition, shape, size and crystallinity respectively. These TiO2 and ZnO nanoparticles were then applied to 100% cotton and 45/55% polyester/cotton
Cotton Fabrics, Nanoparticles, Polyester/Cotton Blends Multifunctionality, TiO2, ZnO
- Ambrosi M, Dei L, Giorgi R, Neto C and Baglioni P (2001) Colloidal particles of Ca(OH)2: properties and applications to restoration of frescoes. Langmuir. 17, 4251–4255.
- Arnold MS, Avouris P, Pan ZW and Wang ZL (2003) Field-Effect transistors based on single semiconducting oxide nanobelts. J. Phys. Chem. B 107, 659– 663.
- Baglioni P, Dei L, Fratoni L, Lo Nostro P and Moroni M (2003) Preparation of nano- and micro-particles of group II and transition metals oxides and hydroxides and their use in the ceramic, textile and paper industries. Patent WO 2003082742
- Behnajady MA, Modirshahla N and Hamzavi R (2006) Kinetic study on photo-catalytic degradation of C.I. acid yellow 23 by ZnO photo-catalyst. J. Hazardous Mat. 133, 226–232.
- Daoud WA and Xin JH (2004) Low temperature sol-gel processed photocatalytic titania coating. J. Sol-Gel Sci. Technol. 29,25–29.
- Dura´n N, Marcato PD, De Souza GIH, Alves OL and Esposito E (2007) Antibacterial effect of silver nanoparticles produced by fungal process on textile fabrics and their effluent treatment. J. Biomed. Nanotechnol. 3, 203–208.
- Fei B, Deng Z, Xin JH, Zhang Y and Pang G (2006) Room temperature synthesis of rutile nanorods and their applications on cloth. Nanotechnol. 17, 1927–1931.
- Guo L, Yang S, Yang C, Yu P, Wang J, Ge W and Wong GKL (2000) Synthesis and characterization of poly(vinylpyrrolidone)- modified zinc oxide nanoparticles. Chem. Mater. 12, 2268–2274.
- Jenkins R and Snyder RL (1996) Introduction to X-ray powder diffractometry. John Wiley & Sons, New York
- Kwon YJ, Kim KH, Lim CS and Shim KB (2002) Characterization of ZnO nanopowders synthesized by the polymerized complex method via an organochemical route. J. Ceramic Proc. Res. 3, 146–149.
- Lee HJ, Yeo SY and Jeong SH (2003) Antibacterial effect of nanosized silver colloidal solution on textile fabrics. J. Mater. Sci. 38, 2199–2204.
- Li YQ, Fu SY and Mai YM (2006) Preparation and characterization of transparent ZnO/epoxy nanocomposites with high- UV shielding efficiency. Polymer. 47, 2127–2132.
- Liufu S, Xiao H and Li Y (2004) Investigation of PEG adsorption on the surface of zinc oxide nanoparticles. Powder Technol. 145, 20–24.
- Lu H, Fei B, Xin JH, Wang RH and Li L (2006) Fabrication of UV-blocking nanohybrid coating via mini-emulsion polymerization. J. Colloid Interface Sci. 300,111–116.
- Moroni M, Borrini D, Calamai L and Dei L (2005) Ceramic nanomaterials from aqueous and 1,2-ethanediol supersaturated solutions at high temperature. J. Colloid Interface Sci. 286, 543–550.
- Pan ZW, Dai ZR and Wang ZL (2001) Nanobelts of semiconducting oxides. Science 291, 1947–1949.
- Perez-Maqueda LA, Wang L and Matijevic E (1998) Nanosize indium hydroxide by peptization of colloidal precipitates. Langmuir. 14, 4397–4401.
- Qi K, Chen X, Liu Y, Xin JH, Mak CL and Daoud WA (2007) Facile preparation of anatase/SiO2 spherical nanocomposites and their application in self cleaning textiles. J. Mater. Chem. 17, 3504–3508.
- Salvadori B and Dei L (2001) Synthesis of Ca(OH)2 nanoparticles from diols. Langmuir. 17, 2371–2374.
- Sawai J (2003) Quantitative evaluation of antibacterial activities of metallic oxide powders (ZnO, MgO and CaO) by conductimetric assay. J. Microbiol. Methods 54,177–182.
- Tang E, Cheng G and Ma X (2006a) Preparation of nano-ZnO/ PMMA composite particles via grafting of the copolymer onto the surface of zinc oxide nanoparticles. Powder Technol. 161, 209–214.
- Tang E, Cheng G, Ma X, Pang X and Zhao Q (2006b) Surface modification of zinc oxide nanoparticle by PMAA and its dispersion in aqueous system. Appl. Surf. Sci. 252, 5227– 5232.
- Tang E, Cheng G, Pang X, Ma X and Xing F (2006c) Synthesis of nano-ZnO/poly (methylmethacrylate) composite microsphere through emulsion polymerization and its UVshielding property. Colloid Polym. Sci. 284, 422– 428.
- Turkoglu M, Yener S (1997) Design and in vivo evaluation of ultrafine inorganicoxide- containing-sunscreen formulations. Int. J. Cosmet. Sci. 19,193–201.
- UNI EN ISO 26330:1996—Domestic washing and drying procedures for textile testing.
- Vigneshwaran N, Kumar S, Kathe AA, Varadarajan PV and Prasad V (2006) Functional finishing of cotton fabrics using zinc oxide-soluble starch nanocomposites. Nanotechnology. 17, 5087–5095.
- Wang Y, Ma C, Sun X and Li H (2002) Preparation of nanocrystalline metal oxide powders with the surfactantmediated method. Inorg. Chem. Comm. 5,751–755.
- Wang RH, Xin JH, Tao XM and Daoud WA (2004) ZnO nanorods grown on cotton fabrics at low temperature. Chem. Phys. Lett. 398,250–255.
- Wang RH, Xin JH and Tao XM (2005) UVblocking property of dumbbell-shaped ZnO crystallites on cotton fabrics. Inorg. Chem. 44, 3926–3930.
- Wong, YWH, Yuen, CWM, Leung, MYS, Ku, SKA and Lam, HLI (2006) Selected applications of nanotechnology in text›les. AUTEX Res. J. 6 (1), 1-10.
- Xin JH, Daoud WA and Kong YY (2004) A new approach to UV-blocking treatment for cotton fabrics. Text. Res. J. 74, 97– 100.
- Xiong M, Gu G, You B and Wu L (2003) Preparation and characterization of poly(styrene butylacrylate) latex/nano- ZnO nanocomposites. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 90, 1923–1931.
- Yadav A, Prasad V, Kathe AA, Raj S, Yadav D, Sundaramoorthy C and Vigneshwaran N (2006) Functional finishing in cotton fabrics using zinc oxide nanoparticles. Bull. Mater. Sci. 29, 641– 645.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.