Total views : 1431
Fasciola gigantica : Eggshell Solubility and Permeability Properties
The cross-linkages contained within the proteinaceous opercular cement seal holding the egg operculum of Fasciola gigantica solubilised in 0.1N saturated NaOH, concentrated HCl, H2SO4 and H3PO4, whereas the quinone tanned eggshell solubilised only in concentrated HNO3 and NaOCl. In TCA, H3BO3 and CH3COOH, the cross linkages of proteinaceous opercular cement and the quinone tanned eggshell remained unaffected. This study has shown that the cross linkages of the opercular cement, the operculum and the quinone-tanned eggshell differ in their permeability and solubility properties.
Fasciola gigantica, Eggshell, Permeability And Solubility in Acids, Alkali and Chemicals
- Anantaraman S (1969) The nature and composition nature of the outer layers of the cuticle of Acanthosentis oligospinus n.sp. (Acanthocephala) from the fish Macrones gulio. Zeitschrift fur Natureforshung 24b, 1629-1632.
- Anantaraman S and Ravindaranath MH (1973) Chemical nature of the hooks of the cystacanth of Moniliformis moniliformis Acta histochem. 47, 124- 131.
- Cordingley JS (1987) Trematode eggshells: Novel protein biopolymers. Parasitol. Today. 3, 341-344.
- Fairweather I, Threadgold LT and Hanna REB (1999) Development of Fasciola hepatica in the Mammalian host. In: Fasciolosis, (Ed.) Dalton JP, CABI Publ. pp:97-98.
- Madhavi R (1968) Diplodiscus mehrai: Chemical nature of eggshell. Exp. Parasitol. 23, 392-397.
- Malek EA (1980) In: Snail transmitted parasitic diseases Vol.2, pp: 131-179, CRC,Boca Raton, FL.
- Ramalingam K (1972) Studies on vitelline cells of monogenea III. Nature of phenolic material and a possible alternate mechanism involved in hardening of egg-shell in helminths. Acta histochem. 44, 71-76.
- Ramalingam K (1973) The chemical nature of the egg-shell of helmints: I. Absence of quinone tanning in the egg-shell of the liverfluke Fasciola hepatica. Int. J. Parasitol. 3, 67-75.
- Smyth JD (1954) A technique for the histochemicaldemonstration of polyphenol oxidase and its application to egg-shell formation in helminthes and byssus formation in Mytillus. Quart. J. Microscop. Sci. 95, 139-152.
- Smyth JD and Clegg JA (1959) Eggshell formation in trematodes and cestodes. Exp. Parasitol. 8, 286-323.
- Smyth JD and Halton DW (1983) The physiology of Trematodes. Cambridge Univ. Press.
- Stephenson W (1947) Physiological and histochemical observation the adult liver fluke Fasciola hepatica L. III. Eggshell formation. Parasitol. 38, 128-139.
- Wharton DA (1983) The production and functional morphology of helminth eggshells. Parasitol. 86, 85- 97.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.