Total views : 2247
In Vitro Propagation of Bacopa monnieri L. - a Multipurpose Medicinal Plant
We report the micropropagation of Bacopa monnieri L. a medicinal plant from Shervarayan Hills, Salem, Tamil Nadu, India. Effect of auxins (IAA, NAA&2, 4-D) and cytokinins (BA, KIN&TDZ) on shoot induction and IAA and TDZ on root induction were assessed. Callus induction on Murashige and Skoog's medium (MS) supplemented with NAA, 2,4-D and TDZ at various combinations/concentrations were also investigated. The auxiliary buds formed from both leaf and nodal explants on hormone free MS medium within 9 d. Growth hormones at different combinations brought out remarkable variations in shoot, root and callus induction. Rooted plantlets were transferred to 10 different soil mixtures with various ratio/combinations of biological and natural fertilizers such as humus rich soil alone (control), soil with vesicular arbuscular mycorrhizae (VAM) (10:1&10:2) soil with vermicompost (4:1&4:2) soil with farmyard manure (4:1&4:2) soil with flyash (1:1&1:2) and soil with agropeat (4:1&4:2) in sterile polythene bags. When the plantlets were transplanted to the actual field, this pre-adaptation increased their survival as much as 80-90% (observed for 45 days).
Bacopa monnieri L., Growth Hormones, Auxiliary Shoot Proliferation, Transplantation
- Ahmed MB, Salahin M, Karim R, Razvy MA, Hannan MM, Sultana R, Hossain M and Islam R (2007) An efficient method for in vitro clonal propagation of a newly introduced sweetener plant (Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni.) in Bangladesh. Amer-Eur. J. Sci. Res. 2, 121- 125.
- Anilkumar M, Mathew SK, Mathew P, John S, Deepa KP and Kiran VS (2005) In vitro shoot multiplication in Ocimum basilicum L. Plant Cell Biotechnol. Mol. Biol. 6, 73-76.
- Anilkumar M and Sajeevan RS (2005) Micropropagation of Musa acuminata colla. Plant Cell Biotechnol. Mol. Biol. 6, 159-162.
- Balaramaswamy Yadav P and Padmaja V (2005) Plantlet regeneration through multiple shoot induction in Cajanus cajan (L.). Plant Cell Biotechnol. Mol. Biol. 6, 65-68.
- Das S, Kanungo V, Naik ML and Sanju S (2005) In vitro regeneration of Vitex negundo L. A medicinal shrub. Plant Cell Biotechnol. Mol. Biol. 6, 143-146.
- Ekka RN and Dixit VK (2007) Ethno-pharmacognostical studies of medicinal plants of Jashpur district, Chattisgarh. Int. J. Green Phar. 1, 2-4.
- Ignacimuthu S (1997) Plant Biotechnology, Oxford and IBH publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd, p. 180.
- Jain A and Chaturvedi A (2005) In vitro proliferation of Hyptis suavelolens point: An ethno-medicinal herb. Plant Cell Biotechnol. Mol. Biol, 6, 151-154.
- Kameri M, Shashidhara S and Rajasekharan PE (2005) In vitro multiplication of Wedelia chinensis (Osbeck) Merr. Plant Cell Biotechnol. Mol. Biol. 6, 147-150.
- Kavyashree R, Gayatri MC, Revanasiddaiah HM (2005) In vivo regeneration of apical bud syn seeds of mulberry Morus indica L. Plant Cell Biotehnol. Mol. Biol. 6, 69-72.
- Mahendran TS and Sampath P (2005) In vitro propagation of coleus forskohli – A threatened medicinal plant. Recent advances in medicinal plant research: vision 21st century.
- Monirul Islam M, Ahmed M and Mahaldar D (2005) In vitro callus induction and plant regeneration in seed explants of rice (Oryza Sativa L.). Res. J. Agri. Biol. Sci. 1, 72-75.
- Murashige T and Skoog F (1962) A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiol. Plant. 15, 473-497.
- Nagaraja YP, Krishna V and Maruthi KR (2003) Rapid micropropagation of Andrographis alata Nees. through leaf callus culture. Plant Cell Biotechnol. Mol. 4, 117- 124.
- Negrutiu I, Jacobs N and Caboche M (1984) Theor. Appl. Genet. 67, 289-304.
- Rahman MH, Rahman MZ, Sikadar B, Bari MA and Hossain M (2006) Mass clonal propagation through shoot tip culture of male Budless banana. Plant Cell Biotechnol. Mol. Biol. 6, 117-122.
- Ramawat KG (2003) Plant Biotechnology, S. Chand and Co. pp:1-37.
- Rao S, Pratibha GS, Parashuram YJ and Kaviraj CP (2006) High frequency plant regeneration from shoot tip explants of chilli (Capsicum annum). Plant Cell Biotechnol. Mol. Biol. 7, 163-166.
- Ray T, Saha P and Roy SC (2005) In vitro plant regeneration from young capitulum explants of Gerbera jamessonii. Plant Cell Biotechnol. Mol. Biol. 6, 35-40.
- Sambyal M, Dogra A, Koul S and Ahuja A (2006) Rapid in vitro propagation of Potentilla fulgens wall - A Himalayan alpine herb of medicinal value. J. Plant Biochem. Biotechnol. 15,143-145.
- Sehrawat AR, Sanjogta U and Anita P (2001) In vitro culture and multiplication of Rauwolfia serpentine - a threatened medicinal plant. Crop Res. 22, 68-71.
- Shakoor A, Akram M, Asharaf CM and Siddiqui MR (1994) Pharmagonistic study and chemical / pharmacological evaluation of Brahmi-buti. Hamdard Medicus. 37, 92-109.
- Singh S, Ray BK, Mathew S, Buragohain P, Gogoi J, Gogoi S, Sharma BK and Deka PC (1999) Micropropagation of a few important medicinal plants. Ann. Biol. 15, 1-7.
- Sivanesan I and Murugesan K (2005) In vitro adventitious shoot formation from leaf explants of Withania somnifera Dunal. Plant Cell Biotechnol. Mol. Biol. 6, 163-166.
- Thejavathi DH, Sowmya R and Shailaja KS (2001) Micropropagation of Bacopa monnieri using shoot tip and nodal explants. J. Trop. Med. Plants. 2, 39-45.
- Thorat SP, Swanth RB, Garande VK and Patgaonkar DR (2006) Studies on the effect of IBA and NAA on rooting of cutting in nerium. J. Asian Horticul. 2, 312- 313.
- Tiwari V, Singh BD and Tiwari KN (1998) Shoot regeneration and somatic embryogenesis from different explants of Brahmi [Bacopa monniera (L.) Wettst.]. Plant Cell Rep. 17, 538-543.
- Tiwari V, Tiwari KN and Singh BD (2001). Comparative studies of cytokinins on in vitro propagation of Bacopa monniera. Plant Cell Tiss. Org. Cult. 66, 9-16.
- Thomas TV, Rema Shree AB, Nabeesa E, Neelakandan N and Nandakumar S (2003) In vitro propagation of Terminalia arjuna Roxb. a multipurpose tree. Plant Cell Biotehnol. Mol. Biol. 4, 95-98.
- Zia M, Riaz-ur-Rehman and Chaudhary MF (2007) Hormonal regulation for callogenesis and organogenesis of Artemisia absinthium L. African J. Biotechnol. 6, 1874-1878.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.