Total views : 1508
A Computational Intelligence for Evaluation of Intrusion Detection System
Intrusion detection system work at many levels in the network fabric and are taking the concept of security to a whole new sphere by incorporating intelligence as a tool to protect networks against un-authorized intrusions and newer forms of attack. Intrusion detection system is one of the widely used tools for defense in computer networks. In literature, plenty of research is published on Intrusion detection systems. In this paper we present a survey of intrusion detection systems. We survey the existing types, techniques and approaches of intrusion detection systems in the literature. We propose a new architecture for intrusion detection system and outline the present research challenges and issues in intrusion detection system using SVM classifiers. Finally we carry out our experiments based on our proposed methodology using DARPA (Defense advanced research projects agency) intrusion detection data set which is used for IDS evaluation.
IDS, Data Mining, Network, DARPA Data Set, SVM
- Agrawal R and Srikant R (1994) Fast algorithms for mining association rules. Proc. of the 20th VLDB conf., Santiago, Chile. pp.487-499.
- Amin Hassanzadeh and Babak Sadeghian (2008) Intrusion detection with data correlation relation graph. IEEE, The Third Intl. Conf. on Availability, Reliability and Security. pp.982-989.
- Bane Raman Raghunath and Shivsharan Nitin Mahadeo (2008) Network intrusion detection system. IEEE, First Intl Conf. on Emerging Trends in Engg. & Technol. pp:1272-1277.
- Creation and Deployment of Data Mining-Based Intrusion Detection Systemsin Oracle Database 10g. http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/bi/odm/pdf/odm_based_intrusion_detection_paper_1205. pdf
- Divyata Dal, Siby Abraham, Ajith Abraham, Sugata Sanyal and Mukund Sanglikar (2008) Evolution induced secondary immunity: An artificial immune system based intrusion detection system. IEEE, 7th Computer Information Systems & Industrial Management Applications.pp:65-70.
- Do-hyeon Lee, Doo-young Kim and Jae-il Jung (2008) Multi-Stage intrusion detection system using hidden Markov model algorithm. IEEE, Intl. Conf. on Information Sci. & Security. pp:72-77.
- Heikki Manila, Hannu Toivonen and A. InkeriVerkamo (1994) Efficient algorithms for discovering association rules. In: Knowledge Discovery in Databases (KDD’94). Fayyad UM & Uthurusamy R(Eds.), AAAI Press. p:81–192.
- Joong-Hee Leet, Jong-Hyouk Leet, Seon-Gyoung Sohn, Jong-Ho Ryu, and Tai-Myoung Chungt (2008) Effective value of decision tree with KDD 99 intrusion detection datasets for intrusion detection system. IEEE, ISBN: 978-89-5519-136-3
- Juan Wang, Qiren Yang and Dasen Ren (2009) An intrusion detection algorithm based on decision tree technology. IEEE Asia-Pacific Conf. on Information Processing. ISBN: 978-0-7695-3699-6. pp:333-335.
- Khosravifar B and Bentahar J 2008) An experience improving intrusion detection systems false alarm ratio by using honeypot. IEEE, 22nd Intl. Conf. on Advanced Information Networking and Applications.pp: 997-1004.
- Kola Sujatha P, Kannan A, Ragunath S, Sindhu Bargavi K and Githanjali S (2008) A behaviour based approach to host-level intrusion detection using selforganizing maps. IEEE, First Intl. Conf. on Emerging Trends in Engg. & Technol. pp:1267-1271.
- Lgor Vinicius Mussoi de Lima, Joelson Alencar Degaspari and Jo˜ao Bosco Mangueira Sobral (2008) Intrusion detection through artificial neural networks. IEEE, ISBN: 978-1-4244-2066-7.pp:867- 870.
- Lu Huijuan, Chen Jianguo and d Wei Wei (2008) Two stratum Bayesian network based anomaly detection model for intrusion detection system. IEEE, Intl. Symp. on Electronic Commerce & Security.pp:482-487.
- Marimuthu and A. Shanmugan (2008) Intelligent progression for anomoly intrusion detection. IEEE, ISBN: 978-1-4244-2106-0. pp:261-265.
- Mukkamala S, Sung AH and Abraham A (2004) Computational intelligent techniques for detecting denial of service attacks. Proc. of Innovations in Applied Artificial Intelligence, 17th Intl. Conf. on Industrial & Engg. Appl. of Artificial Intelligence & Expert Systems (IEA/AIE), Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3029 Springer, ISBN 3-540- 22007-0, pp: 633-642.
- Owais S, Snasel V, Kromer P and Abraham A (2008) Survey: Using genetic algorithm approach in intrusion detection systems techniques. CISIM 2008, IEEE. pp:300-307.
- Rakesh Agrawal, Arun Swami and Tomasz Imielinski (1993) Mining association rules between sets of items in large databases. Proc. of the 1993 ACM SIGMOD Conf. Washington DC, USA, May 1993. pp:1-10.
- Robert, Richardson (2007) Computer crime and security survey. http://i.cmpnet.com/v2.gocsi.com/ pdf/ CSISurvey2007.pdf.
- Sangeetha S, Vaidehi V, Srinivasan N, Rajkumar KV, Pradeep S, Ragavan N, Sri Sai Lokesh C, Subadeepak I and Prashanth V (2008) Implementation of application layer intrusion detection system using protocol analysis. IEEE-Intl Conf. on Signal processing, Commun. & Networking .pp:279-284
- Su MY, Chang KC, Wei HF and Lin CY (2008) A real-time network intrusion detection system based on incremental mining approach. IEEE.pp: 76- 81.
- Ya-Li Ding, Lei Li and Hong-Qi Luo (2009) A novel signature searching for intrusion detection system using data mining. IEEE 8th Intl. Conf. on Machine Learning & Cybernetics. ISBN: 978-1-4244-3703-0. pp:122-126.
- Youssif Al-Nashif, Aarthi Arun Kumar, Salim Hariri, Guangzhi Qu, Yi Luo and Ferenc Szidarovsky (2008) Multi-Level intrusion detection system. IEEE, Intl. Conf. on Automonic Computing. pp:131-140
- Zhan Jiuhua (2008) Intrusion detection system based on data mining. IEEE, Workshop on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, ISBN:978-0-7695-3090-1. pp:402-405.
- Zhengbing H, Zhitang Li and Junqi W (2008) A novel network intrusion detection system (NIDS) based on signatures search of data mining. IEEE, Workshop on knowledge discovery and data mining. pp:1-7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.