Total views : 1011
A First Report on Isolation of DNA in Bryocladia thwaitesii (Harvey Ex J. Agardh) Detoni (red Alga) Using Nano Vue Uv Spectrophotometer Suitable for Molecular Biological Studies
Bryocladia thwaitesii (Harvey ex J. Agardh) Detoni, is a commercially important red algae finding wide use in pharmaceutical, cosmetics, nutraceutical industries. However there is no work was made on the DNA isolation which is the key step for further improvement of its yield. Here, for the first time we report the DNA isolation suitable for molecular biological studies and the quality and quantity of the DNA is reported in comparison with the green alga (Ulva covelongenesis V. Krishnamoorthy and H.Joshi). Optimization of DNA isolation was done in these algae by adopting different methods. In the optimization process, different DNA isolation methods were followed. A better result in terms of purity and yield was obtained in method suggested by Wattier et al. (2000) modification by Dellaporta et al. (1983). Quantitative analysis made using Nano vue UV spectrophotometer sets as a pioneering effort in the B. thwaitesii. The DNA isolated by this protocol from two seaweeds, both the purity of DNA as well as concentration were very high i.e., 1.772 and 594.5 mg/μl respectively in B. thwaitesii. In U. covelongenesis the purity of DNA was 1.763 and concentration of DNA 569.5 mg/μl, which was fairly high in other protocols studied, the purity of DNA ranged from 1.444 to 1.640 and concentration of DNA ranged from 71 to 463 ngm/μl. All the experiments were performed by keeping the green alga U. covelongenesis as standard for comparison. The DNA isolation protocol indentified in the present investigation in the seaweed B. thwaitesii would become well suited for PCR amplification and genomic library construction.
Bryocladia thwaitesii, Ulva covelongenesis, DNA Isolation, Nano Vue UV Spectrophotometer
- Akio Shimizu, Kagayaki Morishima, Masahiro kobayashi, Fechiro Nakayama (2008), Identification of porphyra yezoensis meiosis by DNA quantification using confocal laser scanning microscopy. Journal of applied phycology 20:83-88.
- Antoine E Fleurence J (2003) Species identification of red and brown seaweeds using ITS ribosomal DNA amplification and RFLP patterns. J Sci Food Agric 83:1-5.
- Chesnick JM and Cattolice RA (1993) Isolation of DNA from eukaryotic algae. Methods Enzymol 224: 16S-176.
- Dellaporta SL, Wood VP and Hicks JB (1983) A plant DNA mini-preparation: version II. Plant Mol Biol Reptr 1:19-21.
- Donald F.Kapraun, Julie A.Dutchur & D. Wilson Freshwater,(1993), Quantification & Characterization of nuclear genomes in commercial red seaweeds: Gracilarials and Gelidiales Hydrobiologia, 260/261:679-688.
- Dutcher JA, Kapraun DF, and Sizemore RK (1990) Inter-and intraspecific variation of nuclear DNA reassociation kinetics in the Gracilaria (Rhodophyta). Journal of Applied Phycology 2: 259-267.
- Edwards, K., C. Johnstone, and C. Thompson. 1991. A simple and rapid method for the preparation of plant genomic DNA for PCR analysis. Nucleic Acids Res. 19:1349.
- Fang G, Hammar S, and Grumer R (1992) A quick and inexpensive method for removing polysaccharides from plant genomic DNA. Biofeedback 13:52-54.
- Goff LJ and Coleman AW(1988) The use of plastid DNA restriction endonuclease patterns in delineating red algal species and populations. Journal of Phycology 24:357-368.
- Jin H-J, Kim J-H, Sohn CH, deWreede Re, Choi T-J, Towers GHN, Hudson JB, and Hong YK (1997) Inhibition of Taq DNA polymerase by seaweed extracts from British Columbia, Canada, and Korea. Journal of Applied Phycology 9:383-388.
- Kanto EA, Hirata MH. Hirata RD, Wones FD, Hatten Hoff RF and Oliverira MR (2005). DNA Extraction from human saliva deposited on skin and its use in forensic identification procedures. Oral biology 59:119-128.
- Meyer W and Mitchell TG (1995) Polymerase chain reaction fingerprinting in fungi using single primers specific to minisatellites and simple repetitive DNA sequences: strain variation in Cryptococcus neoformans. Electrophoresis 16: 1648-1656.
- Radner RJ (1996) Algal diversity and commercial algal products. Bioscience 46:263-270.
- Rogstad SH, Keane B. Howes Keiffer C,Hebard F,and Sisco P(2001) DNA extraction from plants: the use of pectinase. Plant Mol Biol Rep 19:353-359.
- Sosa PA and Ohveira MC (1992) DNA extraction from macro algae. Journal of Applied Phycology Forum 9:7-9.
- Stoebe B and Kovallik KV (1999) Gene-cluster analysis in chloroplast genomics. TIG 15:344-347.
- Teo Swee sen, Chan Cheong xin, Ho Chai Ling, Tan Siang Hee et al., (2003).Functional Genomic studies of a Malaysian Red seaweed, Gracilaria Changii.Bio Science & Biotechnology, Vol.3 p.107-110.
- Wattier RA, Prodohl PA, and Maggs C (2000) DNA isoalation protocol for red seaweed (Rhodophyta). Plant Mol Biol Rep 18:275-281.
- Yong-KiHong, Chul Hyun Sohn, KiWan Lee & Hyung Green Kim, (1997), Nucleic Acid extraction from seaweed tissues for polymerase chain reaction. Journal of Marine Biotechnology, 5: 95-99
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.