Total views : 1096
A Dendrochronological Study on Acer velutinum in Northern Iran
This study was carried out to investigate the relationship between climate condition (temperature and precipitation) and tree-ring widths of Acer velutinum in north of Iran. A total of 13 cores from 4 trees in same site were selected to measure tree-ring. To determine the response to the climate, correlation coefficients between tree-ring widths and climate data were calculated using biological years from October of the previous year to September of the current year (by Pearson's correlation and forward stepwise). Pearson's results showed that the temperature (mean, maximum and minimum) hadn't significant effect on tree ring widths, while there is a positive relationship between monthly precipitation of August and tree-ring widths. Forward stepwise results indicated that the tree-ring width values were related to precipitation of August (57.2%) and minimum monthly temperature of March (10.8%).
Acer velutinum, Dedrochronology, Tree Ring, Temperature, Precipitation, Iran
- Carlquist S (1988) Comparative wood anatomy, systematic, ecological, and evolutionary aspects of dycotyledon wood. Springer, NY.
- Fritts HC (1976) Tree rings and climate. Acad. Press. NY.
- Grissino-Mayer HD, Holmes RL and Fritts HC (1996) The international tree-ring data bank program library version 2.0, user’s manual. Laboratory of Tree-ring Res., Tucson.
- Panshin A and de Zeeuw C (1980) Textbook of wood technology. 4th ed. McGraw-Hill, NY.
- Leal S, Pereira H, Grabner M and Wimmer R (2004) Treering structure and climatic effects in young Eucalyptus globulus Labill. Grown at two portuguese sites: preliminary results. Dendrochronologia. 21(3), 139–146.
- Pourtahmasi K, Parsapjouh D, Brauning A, Esper J and Schweingruber FH (2007) Climate analysis of pointer years in tree-ring chronologies from northern iran and neighbouring high mountain areas. Geookodynamik. 28, 27-42.
- Sevgi O and Akkemik U (2007) A dendroecological study on Pinus nigra Arn. At different altitudes of northern slopes of Kazdaglari, Turkey. J. Environ. Biol. 28, 73-75.
- Touchan R and Hughes MK (1999) Dendrochronology in Jordan. J. Arid Environ. 42, 291-303.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.