Total views : 970
A Comparative Study on Cycling in Relation to the Physical Balance, Muscle Strength, Self-Esteem and Depression of Elderly Women
The purpose of this study was to provide basic data for development of nursing intervention to maintain and enhance healthy life by comparing the effect of the use of bicycle on balance (i.e. dynamic, static balance), muscle strength of upper and lower limbs, self-esteem, and depression of elderly women. A descriptive comparative study verifying difference by grasping balance, muscle strength, self-esteem, and depression intended for elderly women on the use of bicycle. For this study, data were collected for 4 weeks from July 29, 2013 to August 23, 2013 from 69 elderly women in total living in M city of G province, specifically 34 elderly women who used bicycle 3 times a week for 1 year and 35 elderly women who did not use bicycle. The elderly women using a bicycle showed that 25.61 and 7.66 seconds for a point of static and dynamic balance respectively, 17.38 and 14.15 times for the number of times for muscle strength of upper and lower limbs, respectively, and 5.44 and 32.82 points for depression and self-esteem, respectively, meanwhile the elderly women not using a bicycle showed that 15.51 and 8.65 seconds for a point of static and dynamic balance, respectively, 14.09 and 10.66 times for the number of times for muscle strength of upper and lower limbs, respectively, and 5.44 and 32.82 points for depression and self-esteem, respectively. An average difference between the two groups showed a significant difference statistically in balance-dynamic balance (t=1.836, p=.022), upper limb strength (t=3.623, p=.001), lower limb strength (t=5.202, p<.001), and depression (t=-2.697, p=.009). As the use of bicycle leads to enhanced dynamic balance, reinforced muscle strength in upper and lower limbs, and lowered depression, elderly women are encouraged to use a bicycle for improved their physical and mental strength.
Aged, Cycling, Depression, Extrimities, Muscle Strength, Postural Balance, Women.
- Kim HK. Effect of knee muscle power strengthening using thera-band on the balance control ability in the elderly [Unpublished master's thesis]. Seoul: Dankook University; 2003.
- Sung KW. The effect of a health maintenance program on physical function and mental health of the elderly in nursing homes. J of Korean Acad of Nurs. 2007; 37(4):478-89.
- Daley MJ, Spinks WL. Exercise mobility and aging. Sports Med. 2000; 29(1):1-12.
- Ory MG. Health promotion strategies for the aged. J Gerontol Nurs Soc. 1984; 10(10):31-7.
- Kim YJ, Ha JY. The effects of visiting exercise program and telecoaching for physical activity promotion on physical fitness and quality of life in the frail elderly. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2013; 23(2):198-207.
- Kim YJ, Lee JH. The effects of a physical activity promotion programs with telecoaching negotiation on physical fitness and quality of life in the frail elderly. J of Korean Acad of Commun Healt Nurs. 2009; 20(4):391-402.
- Park WY, Kim KH, Song SH, Ko SS. The effects of 12 week exercise leading on basal fitness and quality of life development in agriculture old adult. J of Korean Soc for the Study of Physic Educ. 2011; 15(4):215-26.
- Shin MK. Effect of an exercise program on frontal lobe cognitive function in elders. J of Korean Acad of Nurs. 2009; 39(1):107-15.
- Shon JH, Yoo HS. Effects of chronic combined exercise on cognitive function and depression in elderly women. Korean J of Sport Psychol. 2010; 21(4):183-95.
- Page P, Rogers M, Topp R, Rimmer J, Chodzko-Zajko W, Himes C, Judge J, Pallay R, Brunner D, Matthews M. The activity aging toolkit. Akron, OH: The Hygenic Corporation; 2004.
- Kim YR. The state of the participation of elderly's sport programs and supporting plans for elderly using leisure and welfare facilities. J of Korean Physic Educ Assoc for Girls and Women. 2013; 27(4):31-49.
- Kim JH, Choi MK, Kim JJ. Recently optimum exercise index development of the aged who 10th for aged physical strength management exercise program research trend analysis. J of the Korea Healt and Sports Medicine. 2007; 9(1):39-47.
- Jo JS, Park JY. A study on the factors concerning work trip of the elderly people. J of the Korea KOTI-Brief Newsl. 2011; 3(11):6-8.
- Hwang SG. Cycling plan living. J of Public Offic Benefit Assoc. 1997; 32(343):59-72.
- Kang HS. Cycling and health. J of Korean Soc of Civil Engin. 2008; 56(7)59-61.
- KTDB. Passage of the national passenger survey pocketbook. Seoul; 2011
- Lee SW. Why take the bike. Health Life. 2009; 38-9.
- Nam YJ, Jung HJ, Oh JK. The effect of cycling exercise on body composition, muscle strength and BMD in post-menopausal women. J of Korean Physic Educ Assoc for Girls and Women. 2007; 21(1):1-9.
- Kremer J, Scully D, Meade MM. Physical exercise and psychological wellbeing. In: D. MacAuley, editor. Benefits and hazards of exercise. London Books; 1999.
- Available from: http://www.hankyung.com/news/app/newsview.php?aid=2014082280571
- Giorgetti, MM, Harris BA, Jette A. Reliability of clinical balance outcome measures in the elderly. Physioth Res Internat. 1988; 3(4):274-83.
- Rikli RE, Jones CJ. The reliability and validity of a 6-minute walk test as a measure of physical endurance in order adult. J Aging Phys Activ. 1998; 6:363-75.
- Rosenberg M. Society and Adolescent Self-image. Princeton NJ: Princeton University Press; 1965.
- Jon BJ. Self-esteem: A test of its measurability. Yonsei Nonchong. 1974; 11:107-29.
- Sheikh, JI, Yesavage JA. Geriatric Depression Scale(GDS): Recent evidence and development of a shorter version. In: Brink TL, editor. Clinical Gerontology: a guide to assessment and intervention. New York: The Harwoth Press; 1986. p.165-73.
- Kee BS. A preliminary study for the standardization of a geriatric depression sacle short form-Korea Version. J Korean NeuroPsych Assoc. 1996; 35(2):298-307.
- Hong EJ, Park YH, Hwang BK. The effects of bicycle ergometer exercise on physical fitness and ADL in the elderly women with dementia. Korean J of Exerc Rehabilit. 2012; 8(2):77-87.
- Park GD. Effect of riding a bicycle on balance and leg muscles strength of aged women after total hip replacement - With aged women in Germany. The Korean J of Growth and Develop. 2011; 19(2):171-6.
- Kim BY. The effects of walking exercise during 12 weeks on the cardio-respiratory function and physical fitness in elderly women. J of Sport and Leisu Stud. 2008; 33:851-62.
- Choi YH, Kim NY. The effects of an exercise program using a resident volunteer as a lay health leader for elders' physical fitness, cognitive function, depression, and quality of life. J Korean Acad Commun Healt Nurs. 2013; 24(3):346-57.
- Lee HJ, Song CH, Lee KJ, Lee YW, Lee GC, Shin WS, Lee SW. The effects of complex exercise training for lower legs muscle strength, muscle endurance, balance ability andgait ability in the elderly. J of Sport and Leisu Stud. 2010; 41:935-47.
- Kong SA. Know the effect of doubling bicycle ride. Journal of The Korea public Healt Assoc, Healt life. 2008; (59):32-3.
- Moon IS. Special Issue: Activation bike and urban development. Public Offic Benenfit Assoc. 2008; 43(480):34-45.
- Sung RM. The effects of cycling exercise on health-related factors and quality of life in postmenopausal transition women. The Korean J of Growth and Develop. 2009; 17(4):281-6.
- Lee HY. Effect of resistance muscle exercise and bicycle exercise on blood pressure and body COG(Center of Gravity) in hypertensive patients with women's. Korean J of Physic Educ. 2012; 51(4):489-95.
- Kim ML, Chen HJ. The effects of dance sport activity on self-esteem, stress, and depression in the elderly females. J of Korean Physic Educ Assoc for Girls and Women. 2009; 23(2):15-27.
- Park JJ. The study of depression according to physical exercise of old age women.The J of Korean Soc of Aerobic Exerc. 2000; 4(1):13-27.
- Kim JH, Park YS. The effect of aerobic rhythmical exercise program on physical fitness, self-efficacy and quality of life in elderly. J Korea Commun Healt Nurs Acad Soc. 2000; 14(1):12-25.
- Lim YS, Lee SD. Influence of sport leisure by old age as bicycle exercise participative motivation to leisure immersion and psychological happiness. J of Sport and Leisu Stud. 2010; 42:685-96.
- Choi YH, Shin KR, Ko SH, Kong ES, Kim MA, et al. Elderly and health. 4th ed. Seoul: Hyunmoon; 2012.
- Roh KH. The effect of home stayed stroke patients' gait, balance, activities of daily living, depression in the aerobic walking exercise program. The Korean J of Rehabilit Nurs. 2002; 5(2):193-204.
- Kwon JJ, Kim KJ. ADL, IADL and Fitness in the female olders participating swimming and gate ball. J of Physic Growth and Motor Develop. 2003; 11(2)1-11.
- Kim KR, Yoon JH. Effects of exercise training types on health related fitness, endocrine system in elderly women. J of Sport and Leisu Stud. 2005; 25:263-75.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.