Total views : 433
A Method of Extraction of Non-Text Contents for Extending the Applicability of National R&D Reports
Background/Objectives: A research report is textual information on performance. With the value of science and technology, it is very critical for industrial and economic purposes such as follow-up studies, technology transfer and commercialisation. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The research report information retrieval service provided by the Korea Institute of Science and Technology. Information (KISTI) offers optimal keywords for search conditions by indexing the report contents. However, various forms of non-textual contents such as tables and figures are often left out from the information retrieval without being included in the indexing. In terms of search accuracy and efficiency and user convenience, therefore, it is hard to support them efficiently. Results: Hence, this study developed a method to extract nontextual contents from a research report and use them in information retrieval with a goal of improving the accuracy and efficiency of information retrieval. Conclusion/Application: This study suggested a development plan for a non-textual content processor which can extract and store tables and figures and provide search services. It appears that there would be more opportunity to use high-quality national R&D report database.
Information Retrieval, Non-Text Contents Extraction, R&D Report Management, XML Data Management, XML Data Parsing.
- Cohen WM and Levinthal DA. Innovation and learning: the two faces of R&D. Econ J. 1989.
- Final report of national science & technology knowledge information service program. KISTI; 2012.
- Heo T, Choi G, Park M. Analysis on economic efficiency of national R&D report management system construction program. J of the Soc of Korea Indust and Syst Engin. 2009; 32(2):45-56,.
- Heo T, Choi G. A study of improvement of national R&D report management system. The Journal 2006 Fall Conf of the Korea Cont Assoc. 2006;10:693-97.
- Ryu B, Choi G. A study of efficient management of national R&D outcome information and establishment of the distribution system. J Korean Libr Informat Sci Soc. 2003; 37(4):223-40.
- Evaluation and planning, survey and analysis report of 2009 National R&D Program. Ministry of Education, Science and Technology and Korea Institute of S&T;. 2009.
- Lee J, Chung D. A study of promotion of report distribution. Journal of the 2nd Acad Conf of 1995 Korea Soc for Informat Manag. 1995; 159-62.
- Yoon J, Chung Y, Lee H, Lee S. A study of systems designed to promote the distribution of national r&d report information. KISTI; 7th KOSTI 2002 Journal. 2002; 21-43.
- Kim S, Choi B, Lee M, Kang M. Standardization of work process for distribution of science & technology information. J Korea Cont Assoc. 2007; 7(12):231-7.
- Heo T, Choi G, Kim J, Park M, Shin Y. Design and construction of registration system for exclusive management of national R&D Report. Korean Institute of Information Scientists and Engineers; Journal of 2009 Korea Computer Congress (KCC). 2009; 36(1(B)):230-5.
- National R&D Report Registration Management System. KISTI Available from: http://nrms.kisti.re.kr
- NDSL Research Report. KISTI. Available from: http:// www.ndsl.kr
- Nicola M, John J. XML parsing: a threat to database performance. Proc. 12th Int'l Conf. Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 03); 2003; ACM Press; p.175-78.
- Van Lunteren J, et al. XML accelerator engine. Proc. 1st Int'l Workshop High Performance XML Processing; 2004; Available from: www.zurich.ibm.com/∼jvl/xml2004.pdf
- L. Zhao L Bhuyan L. Performance evaluation and acceleration for xml data parsing. Proc. 9th Workshop Computer Architecture Evaluation Using Commercial Workloads (CAECW 06); 2006; Available from: www.cs.ucr. edu/∼zhao/paper/caecw06_xml.pdf
- Pan Y et al. Parallel XML parsing using meta-DFAs. Proc. 3rd IEEE Int'l Conf. e-Science and Grid Computing (e-Science 07); 2007; IEEE CS Press; p. 237-44.
- Zhang J, Simplify XML processing with VTD-XML. Java- World; 2006 Mar 27; Available from: www.javaworld.com/ javaworld/jw-03-2006/jw-0327-simplify.html
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.