Total views : 565
A Meta-heuristic Framework for Secondary Protein Structure Prediction using BAT-FLANN Optimization Algorithm
Background/Objectives: Proteins are the fundamental units of biology; the mechanism by which primary sequence of proteins is predicted into its secondary structure is not yet accurately achieved. Methods/Statistical analysis: In this paper, BAT inspired FLANN (Functional Link Artificial Neural Network) model for protein secondary structure prediction with low computation cost and accuracy has been proposed. The proposed model consists of three different phases; i) First, the primary sequence of amino acid is converted into dynamic matrix for different window sizes then this dynamic matrix is used to derive correlation matrix, ii) Second, FLANN is used to classify each sequence of correlation matrix with different learning parameters and random weights. BAT inspired optimization algorithm has been used to optimize the weight and learning parameters of BAT-FLANN, and (iii) finally, refinement of secondary structure result. Results: Experiments were conducted with real datasets of some primary sequence on RS126 and CB396 datasets. Proposed method has been compared with existing DSC, NNSSP, PHD, PREDATOR, ZPRED, MULPRED, SVM models and found to be more promising. Conclusion/Application: The proposed method achieves average Q3 accuracy 81.2% and 82.7% for CB396 and RS126 dataset respectively. Moreover the segment overlap (SOV) is 76.1% and 75.3% for CB396 and RS126 dataset respectively.
BAT-FLANN, Classifier, Dynamic Matrix, Protein Data Bank (PDB), Secondary Structure
- Wang G, Zhao Y, Wang D. A protein secondary structure prediction framework based on the Extreme Learning Machine. Neurocomputing. 2008; 72(1-3):262–8.
- Petit-Zeman S. Treating protein folding diseases. Nature. 2009. Available from: http://www.nature.com/horizon/proteinfolding/background/treating.html
- Lim VI. Algorithms for prediction of helices and structural regions in globular proteins. J Mol Biol. 1974; 88(4):873–94.
- Yuksektepe FU, Yilmaz O, Turkay M. Prediction of secondary structures of proteins using a two-stage method. Computers and Chemical Engineering. 2008; 32(1-2):78–88.
- Rose GD. Prediction of chain turns in globular proteins on a hydrophobic basis. Nature. 1978; 272:586–91.
- Kumar R, Saithij MSB, Vaddadi S, Anoop SVKK. An intelligent functional link artificial neural network for channel equalization. Proceedings of International Conference on Signal Processing Robotics and Automation; 2009.p. 240–5.
- Sleator RD. Prediction of protein functions. Functional Genomics. Springer; 2012. p. 15–24.
- Bettella F, Rasinski D, Knapp EW. Protein secondary structure prediction with sparrow. Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling. 2012; 52(2):545–56.
- Joo H, Chavan AG, Phan J, Day R, Tsai J. An amino acid packing code for a-helical structure and protein design. Journal of Molecular Biology. 2012; 419(3-4):234–54.
- Joo H, Tsai J. An amino acid code for b-sheet packing structure. Proteins Structure Function and Bioinformatics. 2014; 82(9):2128–40.
- Chou PY, Fasman GD. Conformational parameters for amino acids in helical, –sheet, and random coil regions calculated from proteins. Biochemistry. 1974; 13(2):211–22.
- Chou P, Fasman G. Prediction of the secondary structure of proteins from their amino acid sequence. Adv Enzymol. 1978; 47:45–148.
- Dor O, Zhou Y. Achieving 80% ten fold cross-validated accuracy for secondary structure prediction by large scale training. Proteins. 2006; 66(4):838–45.
- Sarhan AM. Cancer classification based on micro array gene expression data using DCT and ANN. Proceedings of International Conference on General of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology; 2009. p. 208–16.
- Gharehchopogh FS, Khaze SR, Maleki I. A New Approach in Bloggers Classification with Hybrid of K-Nearest Neighbor and Artificial Neural Network Algorithms. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Feb; 8(3):237–46.
- Das K, Ray J, Mishra D. Gene Selection Using Information Theory and Statistical Approach. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Apr; 8(8):695–701.
- Niermann T, Kirschner K, Crawford IP. Prediction of tertiary structure of the alpha-subunit of tryptophan synthase. Biol Chem Hoppe-Seyler. 1987; 368:1087–8.
- Zvelebil MJJM, Barton GJ, Taylor WR, Sternberg MJE. Prediction of protein secondary structure and active sites using the alignment of homologous sequences. J Mol Biol. 1987; 195:957–61.
- Mahendran R, Jenifer FJ, Palanimuthu M, Subasri S. Sequence and structural analysis of FtsZ homologs and comparison of bacterial FTsZ with eukaryotic tubulins. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011; 4(2):141–6.
- Benner SA, Gerloff D. Patterns of divergence in homologous proteins as indicators of secondary and tertiary structure: a prediction of the structure of the catalytic domain of protein kinases. Advan Enzyme Reg. 1990; 31:121–81.
- Rost B, Sander C. Prediction of protein secondary structure at better than 70% accuracy. J Mol Biol. 1993; 232:584–99.
- Rumelhart DE, Hinton GE, Williams RJ. Learning representations by back-propagating errors. Nature. 1986; 323:533–6.
- Cuff JA, Barton GJ. Evaluation and improvement of multiple sequence methods for protein secondary structure prediction. Proteins Struct Funct Genet. 1999; 34:508–19.
- Kabsch W, Sander C. Dictionary of protein secondary structure: Pattern recognition of hydrogen-bonded and geometrical features. Biopolymers. 1983; 22(12):2577–637.
- King RD, Sternberg MJE. Identification and application of the concepts important for accurate and reliable protein secondary structure prediction. Protein Science. 1996; 5(11):2298–310.
- Garnier J, Osguthorpe DJ, Robson B. Analysis and implications of simple methods for predicting the secondary structure of globular proteins. J Mol Biol. 1978; 120(1):97–120.
- Salamov AA, Solovyev VV. Prediction of protein secondary structure by combining nearest-neighbor algorithms and multiple sequence alignments. J Mol Biol. 1995; 247(1):11–5.
- Frishman D, Argos P. Seventy five percent accuracy in protein secondary structure prediction. Proteins. 1997; 27:329–35.
- Huang X, Miller WA. A time efficient, linear-space local similarity algorithm. Adv Appl Math. 1991; 12:337–57.
- Taylor WR. Classification of amino acid conservation. J Theor Biol. 1986; 119:205–18.
- Schulz GE, Schirmer RH. Principles of Proteins Structure. New York: Springer-Verlag; 1979. p. 1–314.
- Zemla A, Venclovas C, Fidelis K, Rost B. A modified definition of Sov, a segment-based measure for protein secondary structure prediction assessment. Proteins-Structure Function and Genetics. 1999; 34(2):220–3.
- Rost BR, Sander C, Schneider R. Rede finding the goals of protein secondary structure prediction. J Mol Biol. 1994; 235:13–26.
- Herman H, Gudra T. New Approach in BATs’ Sonar Parameterization and Modelling. Physics Procedia. 2010; 3(1):217–24.
- Altringham JD. BATs Biology and Behaviour. Oxford University Press; 2000.
- Moult J, Hubbard T, Bryant SH, Fidelis K, Pedersen JT. Critical assessment of methods of protein structure prediction (CASP): round II. Proteins Struct Funct Genet. 1997; S1:2–6.
- Wang G. A protein secondary structure prediction framework based on the Extreme Learning Machine. Neuro Computing. 2008; 72(1-3):262–8.
- Nguyen MN, Rajapakse JC. Two-Stage Multi-Class Support Vector Machines to Protein Secondary Structure Prediction. Int J Data Min Bioinform. 2007; 1(3):248–69.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.