Total views : 453
A Honey Bee Swarm Optimization Algorithm for Minimizing the Total Costs of Resources in MRCPSP
In this paper, we introduce a multimode resource-constrained project scheduling problem with finish-to-start precedence relations among project activities, considering renewable and nonrenewable resource costs. We assume that renewable resources are rented and are not available in all periods of time of the project. In other words, there is a mandated ready date as well as a due date for each renewable resource type so that no resource is used before its ready date. However, the resources are permitted to be used after their due dates by paying penalty costs. The objective is to minimize the total costs of both renewable and nonrenewable resource usage. This problem is called multi-mode resource-constrained project scheduling problem with minimization the net present value of total weighted resource tardiness penalty cost (MRCPSP-DCTWRTPC) where for each activity, both renewable and nonrenewable resource requirements depend on activity mode. For this problem, we present a meta-heuristic algorithm based on a Honey Bee Swarm Optimization (HBSO) approach together with a prioritization rule for activities and several improvement and local search methods. Experimental results reveal the effectiveness and efficiency of the proposed algorithm for the problem in question.
Honey Bee Swarm Optimization, Multi Modes, Project Scheduling, Resource Cost; Tardiness Penalty Cost
- Blazewicz J, Lenstra J, Rinnooy Kan A. Scheduling subject to resource constraints: classification and complexity. Discrete Applied Mathematics. 1983; 5:11–24.
- Brucker P, Drexel A, Mohring R, Neumann K, Pesch E. Resource-constrained project scheduling: notation, classification, models and methods. European Journal of Operational Research. 1999; 113:3–41.
- Chen R-M, Wu C-L, Wang C-M, Lo ST. Using novel particle swarm optimization scheme to solve resource-constrained scheduling problem in PSPLIB. Expert Systems with Applications. 2010; 37:1899–910.
- Demeulemeester E, Herroelen WS. Project scheduling, a research handbook. Kluwer Academic Publishers; 2002.
- Hartman S, Briskon D. A survey of variants and extensions of the resource-constrained project scheduling problem. European Journal of Operational Research. 2011; 207:1–14.
- Khalilzadeh M, Kianfar F, Ranjbar M. A scatter search algorithm for RCPSP with discounted weighted earliness-tardiness costs. Life Science Journal. 2011; 8:634–40.
- Khalilzadeh M, Kianfar F, Chaleshtari ASh, Shadrokh Sh, Ranjbar M. A modified PSO algorithm for minimizing the total costs of resources in MRCPSP. Mathematical Problems in Engineering. 2012; 365697.
- Kolisch R, Sprecher A. PSPLIB – A project scheduling problem library. European Journal of Operational Research. 1996; 96:205–16.
- Kolisch R, Sprecher A, Drexl A. Characterization and generation of a general class of resource-constrained project scheduling problems. Management Science. 1995; 41:693–1703.
- Lova A, Tormos P, Barber F. Multimode resource-constrained project scheduling: scheduling schemes, priority rules and mode selection rules. Inteligenica Artificial. 2006; 10:69–86.
- Peteghem V, Vanhoucke M. A genetic algorithm for preemptive and non-preemptive multi-mode resource-constrained project scheduling problem. European Journal of Operational Research. 2010; 201:409–18.
- Ranjbar M, Khalilzadeh M, Kianfar F, Etminani K. An optimal procedure for minimizing total weighted tardiness penalty costs in the resource constrained project scheduling problem. Computers & Industrial Engineering. 2012; 62:264–70.
- Seeley TD. The Wisdom of the Hive. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press; 1995.
- Sprecher A, Hartman S, Drexl A. An exact algorithm for project scheduling with multiple modes. OR Spektrum. 1997; 19:195–203.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.