Total views : 375
A Comparative Study of Parenting Attitudes Affecting School Records of Chinese and Korean College Students
This study compares parents’ parenting attitudes as Chinese and Korean college students perceive. It examined the relationship between parenting attitudes and some demographic variables such as gender, school year, religion, and educational level of parents. It also examined the influences parenting attitudes and academic records of their offspring. The findings are as follows: 1. Gender was found to be related with parents’ parenting attitudes for Chinese students, but not for Korean students. Age was found to be related with parents’ parenting attitudes both for Chinese students, and for Korean students. Religion was found to be related with parents’ parenting attitudes for Chinese students, but not for Korean students. And, parents’ educational level was not found to be related with parents’ parenting attitudes for Chinese students, but, for Korean students, only mock records were found to be related with parents’ parenting attitudes. 2. There was no difference in perception on parents’ parenting attitudes for Chinese students and Korean students. 3. There was significant relationship parents’ parenting attitudes and school records both Chinese students, and for Korean students. But mothers’ parenting attitudes has not significant for Chinese students. Consequently, the parents’ parenting attitudes Korean and Chinese students perceive have very similar attributes, and some differences. It may be derived from cultural differences between two countries, and the differences of democracy and communism. This study will contribute to understanding and helping Chinese students.
Chinese Students in Korea, Korean College Students, Parents’ Parenting Attitudes, School Records
- Statistics Korea. Statistics on Foreign Students in Korea.2012. Available from: http://www.index.go.kr
- Jeong J-S. REBT program development and its effect forcultural, psychological, and social adaptation of Chinesestudents in Korea [PhD dissertation]. Myeongji University;2013.
- Wang C-S. The effect of participation in leisure activities ofChinese students in Korea on their cultural adaptation stressand college life adaptation [Master’s degree thesis]. SungsilUniversity; 2012.
- Ju Y. A comparative study on college students in Busan area- focused on Korean and Chinese students [Master’s degree thesis]. Dongi University; 2013.
- Kim H-H. The effect of cultural adaptation stress of foreign studentson college life adaptation [Master’s degree thesis]. BugyeongUniversity; 2013.
- Oh S-S, Lee J-S. Perceptions of children on parenting methods ofparents. The Korean Behavioral Science ResearchCenter, Research Note. 1982; 11(1):1-15.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.