A Femtocell Cross-Tier Interference Mitigation Technique in OFDMA-LTE System: A Cuckoo Search based Approach
Background/Objectives: In wireless broadband access networks, most indoor environments encounter serious coverage problem. Femtocells have been introduced as an efficient solution to improve cell coverage, enhance area spectral-efficiency and provide better Quality-of-Service (QoS) to mobile users. However, cross-tier interference issues continue to be the major technical challenge associated with femtocell deployment. Methods/Statistical analysis: This study introduce a resource allocation technique-based cuckoo search algorithm RACSA for cross-tier interference mitigation in Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access based Long Term Evolution (OFDMA-LTE) system. The innovative RACSA technique takes upon itself the task of maximizing the throughput of network according to a specified threshold for the interference. Cuckoo search Algorithm is extensively employed to successfully address the problem of resource optimization by finding and allocating the suitable power and bandwidth for all the users and this ultimately, leads to mitigating the cross-tier interference for OFDMA macro-femtocell networks. Results/Conclusions: The simulation results reveal that RACSA mitigate the cross-tier interference and improve the system performance. In addition, an assessment is carried out and it confirmed that RACSA gives (38%) and (21%) higher system throughput and (14%) and (35%) higher in spectral efficiency and (55%) and (33%) lower in the outage probability when comparing with results of genetic algorithm and auction algorithm respectively.
- Han K, Choi Y, Kim D, Na M, Choi S, Han K. Optimization of femtocell network configuration under interference constraints. 7th International Symposium on Modeling and Optimization in Mobile, Ad Hoc, and Wireless Networks. Seoul: IEEE; 2009. p 1–7.
- Chandrasekhar V, Andrews JG. Uplink capacity and interference avoidance for two-tier femtocell networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. 2009; 8:3498–3509.
- Yavuz M, Meshkati F, Nanda S, Pokhariyal A, Johnson N, Raghothaman B, Richardson A. Interference management and performance analysis of UMTS/HSPA+ femtocells. IEEE on Communications Magazine. 2009; 47(9):102–9.
- Gutierrez-Estevez DM, Canberk B, Akyildiz IF. Spatio-temporal estimation for interference management in femtocell networks. IEEE 23rd International Symposium on Personal Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC). Sydney: IEEE; 2012. p. 1137–42.
- Elsherif AR, Ahmedin A, Ding Z, Liu X. Adaptive precoding for femtocell interference mitigation. IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC). IEEE: 2012. p. 4315–20.
- Rangan S. Femto-macro cellular interference control with subband scheduling and interference cancelation. IEEE on GLOBECOM Workshops (GC Wkshps). Miami: FL. 2010. p. 695–700.
- Zahir T, Arshad K, Nakata A, Moessner K. Interference Management in Femtocells. IEEE on Communications Surveys and Tutorials. 2013; 15:293–311.
- Mhiri F, Sethom K, Bouallegue R. A survey on interference management techniques in femtocell self-organizing networks. Journal of Network and Computer Applications. 2013; 36(1):58–65.
- Bouras C, Kavourgias G, Kokkinos V, Papazois A. In Interference management in LTE femtocell systems using an adaptive frequency reuse scheme. Wireless Telecommunications Symposium (WTS). London: IEEE; 2012. p. 1–7.
- Pantisano F, Bennis M, Saad W, Debbah M. Spectrum leasing as an incentive towards uplink macrocell and femtocell cooperation. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. 2012; 30(3):617–30.
- Lopez-Perez D, Ladanyi A, Jüttner A, Zhang J. In OFDMA Femtocells: Intracell Handover for Interference and Handover Mitigation in Two-Tier Networks. IEEE on Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC). Sydney, NSW: IEEE; 2010. p. 1–6.
- Nakata A, Arshad K, Moessner K. Interference tolerable threshold analysis in cognitive femtocells. Wireless Innovation Conference and Product Exhibition. Washington: USA. 2011.
- Chu F, Chen K. Mitigation of macro-femto co-channel interference by spatial channel separation. IEEE 73rd on Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring). Budapest. 2011. p. 1–5.
- Lopez-Perez D, Valcarce A, De La Roche G, Zhang J. OFDMA femtocells: A roadmap on interference avoidance. IEEE on Communications Magazine. 2009; 47(9):41–8.
- Tang R. Indoor propagation in cellular/PCS system design. Emerging Technologies Symposium on Wireless Communications and Systems. IEEE; 1999. p. 8.1–.4.
- Huan S, Lining K, Jianhua L. Interference avoidance in OFDMA-based femtocell network. IEEE Youth Conference on Information, Computing and Telecommunication YC-ICT '09. 2009. p. 126–9.
- Saquib N, Hossain E, Le LB, Kim DI. Interference management in OFDMA femtocell networks: issues and approaches. IEEE on Wireless Communications. 2012; 19:86–95.
- Vadivel M. Optimization of radio resource allocation in energy efficient OFDMA systems. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8: 24–7.
- Ngo DT, Le LB, Le-Ngoc T, Hossain E, Kim DI. Distributed interference management in femtocell networks. IEEE on Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Fall). San Francisco, CA: IEEE; 2011. p. 1–5.
- Saleem S, King H. Avoidance of co-tier interference between femtocells with different access modes. International Journal of Information. 2012; 2(8):617–25.
- Sun Y, Jover RP, Wang X, Uplink interference mitigation for ofdma femtocell networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. 2012; 11:614–25.
- Marshoud H, Otrok H, Barada H, Estrada R, Dziong Z. Genetic algorithm based resource allocation and interference mitigation for OFDMA macrocell-femtocells networks. 6th Joint IFIP on Wireless and Mobile Networking Conference (WMNC). Dubai: IEEE; 2013. p. 1–7.
- Zhong Z, Hamalainen J, Yang Y. On uplink power control optimization and distributed resource allocation in femtocell networks. 73rd IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring). Yokohama. 2011. p. 1–5.
- Saad SA, Ismail M, Nordin R. A survey on power control techniques in femtocell networks. Power. 2013; 8(12):845–4.
- Abu-Srhan A, Daoud EA. A hybrid algorithm using a genetic algorithm and cuckoo search algorithm to solve the traveling salesman problem and its application to multiple sequence alignment. International Journal of Advanced Science and Technology. 2013; 61:29–38.
- Shair EF, Khor SY, Abdullah AR, Jaafar HI, Mohd Ali N, Zainal Abidin AF. A brief review of Cuckoo Search Algorithm (CSA) research progression from 2010 to 2013. International Review of Automatic Control. 2014; 7:428–35.
- Yang XS, Deb S. Cuckoo search via Lévy flights. World Congress on nature and biologically inspired computing NaBIC. coimbatore: IEEE; 2009. p. 210–4.
- Tarhini C, Chahed T. On capacity of OFDMA-based IEEE802. 16 WiMAX including Adaptive Modulation and Coding (AMC) and inter-cell interference. 15th IEEE Workshop on Local and Metropolitan Area Networks. IEEE; 2007. p. 139–44.
- Marshoud H, Otrok H, Barada H. Macrocell–femtocells resource allocation with hybrid access motivational model. Physical Communication. 2014; 11:3–14.
- Bai Y, Chen L. Hybrid spectrum arrangement and interference mitigation for coexistence between LTE macrocellular and femtocell networks. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking. 2013; 13:1–15.
- Sector IR. Guidelines for evaluation of radio transmission technology for IMT-2000. Recommendation; 1997.
- Rumney M. Introducing LTE Advanced. Agilent Technologies. May 2011. p. 22.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.