Total views : 410
A Comparative Study on Erector-Spinaes Muscle Thickness according to Low Back Pain
It is reported that low back pain is related to erector spinae muscle. The purpose of this study was to investigate that between subjects who have low back pain and who don't have low back pain on four different sit positions that have stability difference by comparing for effect on the thickness change of erector spinae muscle. The study collects 15-people who were diagnosed that was not operated because of a medical or surgical disease without low back pain and who were diagnosed. It measures the thickness of erector spinae muscle by real-time ultrasonopaphy, according to prone position, sitting on a chair position, sitting on a gymball position and sitting on a gymball with left leg rising. There were significant difference for the thickness of erector spinae muscle in prone position, sitting on a chair, sitting on a gymball (p.05). This study demonstrated that the lower stability position, the more effects on the thickness of erector spinae muscle.
Erector-spinae Muslces, Low Back Pain(LBP), Sitting Postures, Ultrasonography
- Ainscough-Potts AM, Morrissey MC, Critchley D. The response of the transverse abdominis and internal oblique muscles to different postures. Manual Therapy. 2006;11(1):54–60.
- Blyth FM, March LM, Brnabic AJ, Jorm LR, Williamson M, Cousins MJ. Chronic pain in Australia: A prevalence study. Pain. 2001; 89:127–34.
- Cho HY. Comparing the Effects of Core Stability Exercise between Using Treatment Ball and Fixed Support on Lumbopelvic Muscle Activity for the Patients with Low Back Pain. Korea Sports Reaserch. 2006; 17(6):631–42.
- Ehrlich GE. Low back pain, Bull. World Health Organ. 2003; 81(9):671–6.
- Escamilla RF, Lewis C, Bell D, Bramblet G, Daffron J, Lambert S, Pecson A, lmamura R, Paulos L, Andrews JR. Core muscle activation during Swiss ball and traditional abdominal exercises. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2010; 40(5):265–76.
- Ferreira PH, Ferreira ML, Maher CG, Refshauge K, Herbert RD, Hodges PW. Changes in recruitment of transversus abdominis correlate with disability in people with chronic low back pain. Br J Sports Med. 2010; 44(16):1166–72.
- Okano K, Tanaka T, Ogino C, Fukuda H, Kondo A. Biotechnological production of enantiomeric pure lactic acid from renewable resources: recent achievements, perspectives,and limits. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2010; 85(3):413–23.
- Garcia-Vaquero MP, Moreside JM, Brontons-Gile, Peco-Gonzalalez N, Vera-Garcia FJ. Trunk muscle activation during stabilization exercise with single and double leg support.J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2012; 22(3):398–406.
- Haldeman S. North American Spine Society: failure of the pathology model to predict back pain. Spine. 1990;15(7):718–24.
- Hasenbring MI, Hallner D, Rusu AC. Fear-avoidance-and endurance-related responses to pain: development and validation of the Avoidance-Endurance Questionnaire (AEQ).Eur J Pain. 2009; 13(6):620–8.
- Mazumdar S, Clomburg JM, Gonzalez R. Escherichia coli strains engineered for homofermentative production of D-lactic acid from glycerol. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2010;76(13):4327–36.
- Hides J, Wilson S, Stanton W, McMahon S, Keto H, Mc-Mahon K, Bryant M, Richardson C. An MRI investigation into the function of the transversus abdominis muscle during “drawing-in” of the abdominal wall. Spine. 2006;31(6):175–8.
- Zhou S, Shanmugam KT, Ingram LO. Functional Replacement of the Escherichia coli D-(-)-Lactate Dehydrogenase Gene (ldhA) with the L-(+)-Lactate Dehydrogenase Gene (ldhL) from Pediococcus acidilactici. Applied and EnvironmentalMicrobiology. 2003; 69(4):2237–44.
- Hides JA, Richardson CA, Jull GA. Multifidus recovery is not automic following resolution of acute, first episode of low back pain. Spine. 1996; 21(23):2763–9.
- Hides JA, Stanton WR, McMahon S, Sims K, Richardson CA. Effect of stabilization training on multifidus muscle cross-sectional area among young elite cricketers with lowback pain. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2008; 38(3):101–8.
- Hodges PW, Pengel LH, Herbert RD, Gandevia SC. Measurement of muscle contraction with ultrasound-imaging.Muscle Nerve. 2003; 27(6):682–92.
- Park J. Review: diagnosis and treatment of low back pain. Journal of Korean Academy Family Medicine. 2001;22:1349–60.
- Keays KS, Harris SR, Lucyshyn JM, MacIntyre DL. Effects of Pilates exercises on shoulder range of motion, pain,mood, and upper-extremity function in women living with breast cancer: a pilot study. Phys Ther. 2008; 88(4):494–510.
- Kim MH, Han SH. The Influence of a Core Stability Exercise Program using Swiss Ball on Muscle Activity and Pain in the Lower Back. KACE. 2011; 9(1):9–14.
- Leung FT, Mendis MD, Stanton WR, Hides JA. The relationship between the piriformis muscle, low back pain, lower limb injuries and motor control training among elite football players. J Sci Med Sport. 2014; 27(14):00122–4.
- Levine B, Kaplanek B, Scafura D, Jaffe WL. Rehabilitation after total hip and knee arthroplasty: A new regimen using Pilates training. Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis. 2007; 65(2):120–5.
- Magee DJ. Orthopedic physical assessment. 5th ed. Korea:Elsevier, LLC. 2010.
- Marshall PW, Murphy BA. Core stability exercises on and off a Swiss ball. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 86(2):242–9.
- Descarreaux M, Lafond D, Cantin V. Changes in the flexion-reaxation response induced by hip extensor and erector spinae muscle fatigue. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders.2010; 11:112.
- Mc Gill S. Core training: Evidence translating to better performance and injury prevention. Strength and Conditioning Journal. 2010; 2:33-46.
- Rasouli O, Arab AM, Amiri M, Jaberzadeh S. Ultrasound measurement of deep abdominal muscle activity in sitting positions with different stability levels in subjects with and without chronic low back pain. Manual Therapy. 2011;16(4):388– 93
- Richrdson CA, Snijders CJ, Hides JA, Damen L, Pas MS, Storm J. The relation between the transverses abdomins muscle, sacroiliac joint mechanics, and low back pain.Spine. 2002; 27(4):399–405.
- Scholich SL, Hallner D, Wittenberg RH, Hasenbring MI, Rusu AC. The relationship between pain, disability, quality of life and cognitive-behavioural factors in chronic back pain. Disabil Rehabil. 2012; 34(23):1993–2000.
- Standaert CJ, Herring SA. Expert opinion and controversies in musculoskeletal and sports medicine: core stabilization as a treatment for low back pain. Arch Phys Med Rehabil.2007; 88(12):1734–6.
- Masuda K, Miyamoto K, Oguri K, Matsuoka T, Shimizu K. Relationship between the thickness and hemodynamics of the erector spinae muscles in various lumbar curvatures.Clinical Biomechanics. 2005; 20(3):247–53.
- Yang JH, Choi JH. Effects of Aquatic Exercises and Sling Exercise on the Lumbar Flexibility, Lumbar Muscle Strength and Visual Analogue Scale in Women with Chronic Lower back Pain. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies. 2008;32(2):881–90.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.